Author Topic: Top 13 Mistakes made by new FREDders  (Read 19633 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The Unlucky Top 13 Mistakes made by new FREDders
Originally posted by Flipside
I think taking the intelligence of AI wingmen for granted is an easy mistake to make. Attack-any-ship is a dangerous sexp in the hands of the uninitiated ;)

That's true. I had one mission I made once where I placed a ship 100,000m away only to notice a group of Mara's ignore the main battle and fly off to attack it :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Annorax

• Wistful General
    • Steam
I get to plead not guilty because I haven't FREDded anything yet.

I laughed my ass off at this... now when I finally get off my ass and learn to do something, I'm going to plant the GTD suck my balls and a wing of Dragons named Cockmonger into a mission for Karajorma to playtest. :P

Shouldn't overuse of medal and promotion granting SEXPs be in there too? I seem to remember a campaign I played on FS2 retail that was like four missions, I played with a new pilot on Easy, and I was a goddamn Captain by the time I was done with it. Either that Demon I took out was worth about 200k, or the fredder was an idiot.

If it was DEM, then it was for comedy.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Annorax
I get to plead not guilty because I haven't FREDded anything yet.

I laughed my ass off at this... now when I finally get off my ass and learn to do something, I'm going to plant the GTD suck my balls and a wing of Dragons named Cockmonger into a mission for Karajorma to playtest. :P

Sounds like fun but I only playtest for the FRED Academy and MindGames teams now :) Too much work otherwise.

When it's finished that will be a different matter :D

Originally posted by Annorax
Shouldn't overuse of medal and promotion granting SEXPs be in there too? I seem to remember a campaign I played on FS2 retail that was like four missions, I played with a new pilot on Easy, and I was a goddamn Captain by the time I was done with it. Either that Demon I took out was worth about 200k, or the fredder was an idiot.

While I agree that it's dreadul I didn't include it in this list because

a) It's more of a mission design flaw than a technical flaw and the list was meant to point out the mistakes people make when actually FREDding.
b) It's not that common a mistake (just hugely obvious when it does occur).

If I ever do a top 13 errors of mission design though I'll probably include it along with things like thinking that including 5 Saths and 4 Colossi is a good idea :D
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 07:56:02 am by 340 »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Nuclear1

Originally posted by KappaWing
If you look at my missions, you'll see event names like "poop" or "BeamzAhhhh!!!!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

These two posts made my day :p
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!