Author Topic: [FA] C1M7 Primus  (Read 28724 times)

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
First about the invulnerable Alphas..  I didn't want them to get shot down so quickly because it's their job to help the player to disarm the Damocles. And time is limited...

There's one variable for Damocles' success (msg send) and one for failure (comms destroyed before msg send). So in both results, there's two random endings for them.

[EDIT] I hope reading the events isn't too hard.. It's a mess.. I usually make them more clear.. ..Usually..
No surrender, no retreat.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
It's not that your mission is a mess actually. I can see that you've taken a fair bit of effort to tidy things up actually :) The problem is that your mission is actually much more complicated than most FA missions cause of the multiple endings. That alone makes it harder to follow what it going on.

What you've posted above actually helps a lot. I was assuming that the Damodestiny variable actually was set up to choose between all four endings and that was what was throwing me :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
Actually, yes :lol:

Anyway.. If Damocles succeeds, it may do a waypoint which messes up the ending :mad: What's causing it? I can't figure that out...

[EDIT] I don't mean that the game crashes, but that the Damo doesn't do the waypoint correctly. And I changed the waypoint few times, but it didn't help....
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 10:44:41 am by 2137 »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I'll take a look at it :)

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Still trying the mission (with a few of my edits to make it easier to test :D )

1) I'm finding it pretty hard to disable the Damocles in time. We might have to edit the tables. How often could you disable the comms when you playtested?

2) I like how you've made certain outcomes more likely than others.

3)  The briefing needs some edits to reflect how the GTVA have managed to get to the node before the Damocles made it. Remember that in the previous mission the Damocles jumped into node about 3-4 minutes before the Deimos following it could. It would have taken even longer for a destroyer to scoop you up and carry you to the Capella node before it could get there.

Maybe something about a battle with the Actium and the Damocles retreating to heal its wounds for an hour or so.

I'm having a little problem cause I can't find an FS2_Open build that supports Goobers new Variables in messages code and that would help a lot :)

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
Originally posted by karajorma
Still trying the mission (with a few of my edits to make it easier to test :D )

1) I'm finding it pretty hard to disable the Damocles in time. We might have to edit the tables. How often could you disable the comms when you playtested?

Maybe once. I think the Damo was further away from the node (arrival position). And I think the comm systems are too strong. They need alot of bounding. Although the Sobe takes care one them.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I think about 1/2 or 2/3 their current hitpoints should be a good idea. I'll try sabotaging them down to that sort of level for now and then edit the table once I'm happy with it :)

Offline Fergus

Oh a minor thing that jumped out at me.  The Vasudan Corvette the GVCv Sobedu that you have guarding the node is one letter away from the one I have in my mission.  I'll leave it up to you which one you you would rather have, Sopedu, Sobedu....can you choose.  I did find that the friendly fighter wing had some difficulty in taking down the comms.  I'm going to try my best to break the mission.
Generic signature quote blabber

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
Originally posted by Fergus
Oh a minor thing that jumped out at me.  The Vasudan Corvette the GVCv Sobedu that you have guarding the node is one letter away from the one I have in my mission.  I'll leave it up to you which one you you would rather have, Sopedu, Sobedu....can you choose.  I did find that the friendly fighter wing had some difficulty in taking down the comms.  I'm going to try my best to break the mission.

My mistake. I checked it from the FA thread and it is Sopedu,  I just read it wrong the last time.. So I'll change it Sopedu.  :)

I did find that the friendly fighter wing had some difficulty in taking down the comms.  I'm going to try my best to break the mission.

I noticed that too.. Do we blame me or the AI?....
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 04:40:16 pm by 2137 »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by Primus
I noticed that too.. Do we blame me or the AI?....

Neither. I just took a look at the model and the path for Comms3 is actually pointing in the wrong direction. I'll fix that tomorrow but if you notice that comms3 is the one giving the AI problems that's the reason.

Basically the fighters are approaching the Iceni from above and trying to shoot the subsystem by shooting through it.

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
How is the playtesting going? And have you fixed the model? :)

I'm updating my mission, based on the advices by TopAce and you... But I won't release it until you have given the final report. Well, ofcourse, I need the new model. :p :D

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
The model isn't needed for you to do anything actually. A change in the path would only have an effect in game not in FRED2_Open.

Anyway here's the repaired version.

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
Originally posted by karajorma
The model isn't needed for you to do anything actually. A change in the path would only have an effect in game not in FRED2_Open.

Yes, I know. But I for playtesting it's good to have the fixed version. :)

This is what I have updated so far:
-GTCv Sobedu name changed to GTCv Sopedu
-Edited team loadout
-Added music
-Changed ship-invulnerable SEXP to ship-guardian SEXP
-Locked Gamma wing
-Added AWOL debrief
-Edited briefing

BTW, what about the comm systems' hitpoints?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
That would be a table change but for the moment I suggest simply setting the subsystems to be damaged at the start of the mission so that we can find the best level to set them at.

You would usually do this in the ships editor but I'd recommend making a new evern called DELETE ME BEFORE RELEASE and using the sabotage-subsystem SEXP. That way you're less likely to forget to change it back :D

Offline Skippy

• It's not a bug, it's a featureā„¢
    • FS/FS2 Campaigns List
I tested the mission, and I got the following bug : even its Comms system destroyed, the Damocles still sent the message.
Here are the events and messages :

So nothing happened after, and I decided to leave, and I got the following debrief message :

"Good work disabling the Damocles.

Dismissed"
MACHINA TERRA | FS/FS2 Campaigns list
Specs: Core2 Duo 2GHz, 2GB DDR2, 160GB HD, gfg7700 (Asus G1 Laptop)
Q9550, 4GB DDR2, 2x500GB HD (RAID1), RHD4870, X48-DS6, Corsair 620HX (Desktop)

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I'll let Primus look into that one (bug finding is a good thing for a FREDder to get used to :) ) If you need any help though I'll give you a hand :)

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
Originally posted by Skippy

"Good work disabling the Damocles.

Dismissed"

:lol: It should read disarming.

I don't think the comm hitpoints need to be edited. I just played the mission and disarmed and destroyed the comms in time.

@ Karajorma
I could release the second version of my mission tonight. Or what do you think?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 11:12:38 am by 2137 »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Release it whenever you like. You can post a test version whenever you have any improvements done :) I can't test every build but at least that way I know I'm not reporting bugs that you've already fixed :)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 12:56:19 pm by 340 »

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
2nd version of FRED Academy campaign 1, mission 7

Download again, play, play, play... And then, complain and/or praise...

[EDIT] Removed
« Last Edit: January 25, 2005, 04:23:54 am by 2137 »

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
Fixing/Updating the mission. Scrap the 2nd version, don't play it..