Author Topic: Announcement: 'The Antagonist'  (Read 7107 times)

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
Announcement: 'The Antagonist'
Some of you may already know that I have been working on a mod, but I have also enacted the Spoon doctrine. I waited and waited before posting this thread, waiting until I actually had enough work that was worth showing. I have debated whether or not to even post this, but considering that a complete ninja release is silly without at least some kind of heads up... and the fact that I need voice actors, I have decided to go through with it. I have not really said much about it except to those who received the test version for it... until now.

The mod is called 'The Antagonist'. It is not set in the freespace2 universe and is a completely original setting/storyline. Sometime in our future governments changed, they slowly began to meld together through increased technology, business, and commerce until they became known as 'The Nationalist Union'. It was a flawed government which did not take care of its uncontrollable bureaucracy. Later on a new government called 'The Oligarchy' rose to power using aggressive political methods to assure complete control over the population of citizens. The Oligarchy was not ruled by a king or a single dictator, but a tightly knit circle of Oligarchs each of which played a role in the overthrow of the former nationalist union. The Oligarchy assured their control through secrecy and drugging of its population. It would seem that no one would be able to break their grasp... until you.

The game starts with you coming in from a long patrol, where by some miracle, the drugs the Oligarchy has been feeding you wore off. You dock with a local station. For the first time you remember you could think on your own, then you realize Oligarchy officials want to drug you again. You fight your way out and hijack a strange looking fighter. A fighter you have never seen before and of which you don't understand. You don't care since it's your ticket out, so you take it.

The story is just the story, but I want to be clear that the purpose of this mod is not to ramble on about the prospect of man in the distant future, it is about game play. Most everything in the game has been custom tabled down to the AI. You enemy will do things that your freespace2 foes never even considered. Swarms of ships that evade sideways will rush you. Specialized fighters will pelt you with long ranged beam fire, and some fighters will even attack you from subspace. New weapons will force you to consider your tactical options and at the end of almost every level you will fight a boss. Yes, there will be boss fights.

You are not alone in your opposition. You will have tools. It turns out that strange fighter you hijacked is actually <classified> and it is very capable. Your onboard computer assistant Edward is very cunning and gives you advice as you defend yourself from your foe and try to win your freedom... but is that all?

Some features of this mod include but are not limited to:
Absolutely NO briefings or debriefings, you are thrown right into the game.
all user-made assets, some reconverted or retextured assets and a new skybox
Powerups which grant abilities upon collection for a limited time
A brand new fighter completely made/converted/tabled from scratch
The ability to jump in and out of subspace in mission, resulting in tactical consequences.
boss fights against unique and powerful opponents
custom sound effects, menus loading screens etc.

What's left to do?:
Voice acting
Balancing,tweaking, possible feature creep
final boss fight (?)

Nothing, it's out now

Really, the sooner I get the lines voice acted the sooner this thing comes out. So please audition!
Thread here:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=77382.0

Lastly , this mod is dedicated to The_E. One day on IRC I showed him this video. He responded by telling me "why don't you make your own mod?", which is what got this project started. Thanks E!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 01:22:28 am by bigchunk1 »
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Re: Announcement: 'The Antagonist'
Looks kick ass! The first pic is confusing though. Is it cell shaded? At any rate the story sounds awesome, can't wait.  :yes:
Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
Edit: misquote
...Is it cell shaded?....

Nope! I can see why you would think that though.  :P
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 11:19:38 pm by bigchunk1 »
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
oh hey look andrew, shmupspace.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
: o

o :

MY INTEREST IS INTENSELY PIQUED.
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

This sounds really interesting, especially for someone like me who has an interest in global government conspiracy theories.  :p Will look forward to playing it! May I be so bold as to inquire about the mission count?

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Interesting design direction; there's certainly no glut of really offbeat projects around here.

Also, in the third picture in your post... do I see a hitherto unused public asset, good sir bigchunk?  ;7
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
The capship is the Prominence by Shivan Hunter.
Unless you mean the headani or the player fighter.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
You would be correct Ironbeer, all the head .anis are from the pack you converted. Good selection in there.
BP Multi
The Antagonist

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Looks good&cool, you've got my interests :yes:
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline swamper123

• Just call me Swamper
It's my idea or this community is producing ever better mod's every day, I am amazed, and waiting for this campaing
Let's play Blue Planet

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
My bad
...May I be so bold as to inquire about the mission count?

My bad, I must have missed this. The campaign will be roughly 10 missions total. If you also include the new multiplayer missions and the singleplayer gauntlet I recently added (may or may not add more single missions), it should be about 15, but certainly less than 20.
BP Multi
The Antagonist

Cool. We need more people like you who make short, original campaigns that actually get released.  :nod:

Keep up the good work!  :yes: