Author Topic: Build testing needed  (Read 5760 times)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Build testing needed
This is just a debug build...I need to know whether the clipping errors have been fixed with ship cockpits and if I messed anything up while doing so.

This also has many changes to the turret code, so if you notice any oddities with turret behavior, I'd like to know that too.

Edit:The build didn't attach:
http://fs2source.warpcore.org/exes/latest/testbuild.zip

Oh, and the lab will probably CTD as soon as you open it. I'm in the middle of redoing the fundamental linked list system using templates (or trying to).

Added to the website.//redmenace
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 11:13:58 am by 887 »
-C

Offline WMCoolmon

Another build. The main change for this one is that it does dynamic allocation of sounds. I don't think it should be any slower.

If there's no problems with this then it shouldn't be too hard to add a *****in' Betty section in the sounds.tbl with hardcoded triggers.

http://fs2source.warpcore.org/exes/latest/C20050312.zip
-C

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
i wanna see all of Galactica's turrets working now!

ooh it'll be so great!

it looked great when half of it didnt work, it should be perfect now
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Originally posted by WMCoolmon
If there's no problems with this...

If you put all of the code in then you missed a "Num_sounds++;" in there.  Dynamic allocation is only good if the size is actually going to change. ;)

Offline WMCoolmon

Buh. Added Num_sounds increment/decrements to CVS. It might be better to just use the size() member function of the vector, but my quick fix should prevent massive memory leaks.
-C

Offline WMCoolmon

Originally posted by Turambar
i wanna see all of Galactica's turrets working now!

ooh it'll be so great!

it looked great when half of it didnt work, it should be perfect now

I'd like to know if they're any better/worse now...there are a few limits Omni might've hit, but dunno.

MAX_MODEL_SUBSYSTEMS at 200
MAX_HUGE_SECONDARY_INFO at 10
MAX_ROTATING_SUBMODELS now at 50
MAX_AIFFT_TURRETS now at 200 (although I doubt this would cause problems if I understand what it does correctly)
-C

okayyy....the second build has three...standard, debug...and..."_o". Wth is the O one? And I know you said not to access the Lab, but I forgot how to in the first place...

EDIT: Nevermind...

EDIT 2: I'm having major sound issues that I didn't have in your March 6 beta build. These sound issues basically are that the sounds simply stop working. Certain ones specifically. The background ambience and music and stuff stay audible, but all weapons shots, afterburner, etc, all become silent after flying a bit ingame. Ambient ship noises are the same as usual, I still hear engines. But warps, shots, etc, even menus, all silent.

EDIT 3: I had to override the ZPack's HTL Perseus with the Original FS2 one because selecting it in the tech room was crashing the game. This also applies to the Glowpointed HTL Perseus. Don't think however it's just this build --- I've had problems with that model since the day I installed it. I agree with the assessment someone made somewhere that the HTL Perseus has something seriously wrong with it.

EDIT IV: (LOL) About the audio. It indeed does suddenly stop working partway through a mission. Everything goes dead silent. Cockpit on HTL Hercules does not show properly; eyelevel too high and the hud center reticle on it is opaque rather than transparent. ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, OpenGL mode (boycotting Direct3D until shinemapping fixed in it), Omega drivers.

EDIT V: I'm getting random crashes on various missions. NTDLL causes problems in Mystery of the Trinity, for example. Won't even load -- gets to about 40% before saying "kthxbai". This actually was a recurring problem long before this build including latest CVS changes (In other words, I think someone out there borked the CVS code).
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 06:04:19 pm by 1644 »

Offline WMCoolmon

First off, thanks for testing the build. :)

In no particular order...
First off, the Hercules isn't really supposed to have an ingame cockpit. It does work alright with the code by default, but it wasn't designed with it in mind.

I'm not really sure what's up with the Perseus. It's been working fine on my system (aside from missing textures "glass" and "thruster01".) I've had my fair share of problems with it though.

The sound problems sound like they might be something OGG related...are you using mv_music.vp? Otherwise, it sounds like sounds might be getting paged out by accident...this bears some further investigation into the sound code.
-C

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
I thought "glass" was in the glowpoint pack?  All that's there is a nearly transparent (small) tga, that's used to give the cockpit glass enough opacity to make you notice it.  If it's not there, I should fix it when I get the chance (but the file should be with Nico's Ezechiel that I released for him) and I guess thruster01 should be thruster01a.  Otherwise, I don't know what people are having trouble with regarding that model; I've never had any problems with it whatsoever.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
If you put thruster01.ani in the /data/maps/ directory then it works.  I never tracked it all the way through but I think it's getting caught up in the transparent ship texture fix.  Since that fix means that no ship texture can be outside of /data/maps/ then it's possible for it to not find thruster01.ani since it's in /data/effects/.  This really isn't supposed to happen since no texture name containing thruster is supposed to get loaded this way.  It's on my todo list but the quick fix is to just copy it to the right place and be happy.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Originally posted by Gregster2k
EDIT 2: I'm having major sound issues that I didn't have in your March 6 beta build. These sound issues basically are that the sounds simply stop working. Certain ones specifically. The background ambience and music and stuff stay audible, but all weapons shots, afterburner, etc, all become silent after flying a bit ingame. Ambient ship noises are the same as usual, I still hear engines. But warps, shots, etc, even menus, all silent.

I get this too, and I am not using anything even remotely OGG related.  I didn't comment on it before because I used to get this error farely frequently with any build, but no where near as much as with this one.  The first time I tried it, interface sounds were cutting out before I even commited to a mission.  The second time, they cut out just over a minute into the mission.  I usually don't get any problems until I've played for several minutes into a very intense missions, or series of missions.  Removing the preload mission sounds command line flag reduced this somewhat.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

UGH!!! I already deleted 80 of the BSG's turrets. I still get slow down for just using 24 turrets.
Its a pain isolating the slow down. I'm guess ing its many factors including TGA weapon graphics and others. The BSG ran at a full 120 fps by herself without turrets. Ever since I put in her 24 rotating Flak cannons, that FPS went down to 30-50. Is the source prob rot subsystems?

Will experiment now with this build. BRB with results.

Offline WMCoolmon

The maximum amount of rotating subsystems was at 10, when you were testing the BSG model. So yeah, that was probably the problem. It's at 50 now.

If need be, I can probably bump the number of rotating subsystems even higher - it doesn't take up that much memory, although I'll have to double-check that it won't induce slowdown.
-C

The Galatica only has 24 rotating flak cannons. The 90+ AAA guns I can  settle for static turrets unless making them with rotation will have zero effect on performance.

Offline WMCoolmon

Well, Bobb is the person to talk to about that, I imagine. The biggest hits would probably be in collision checking and actually rendering the things; but I don't know if it's enough to drop things down by 60 FPS.

I could build a build with no turret AI code processing and see how that one performs.
-C

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Originally posted by WMCoolmon
I could build a build with no turret AI code processing and see how that one performs.

Ah!... so that's what that build was. :D
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
haveing multi-part turrets is going to have an effect on rendering, just by it being in seprate subobject, weather the turret is setup to rotate or not will have absolute minimal impact on performence. it goes through the same hoops weather it rotates or not.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

I did some more experimenting with the same results. I'm deducing the performance drop stems from the rate of fire. There a large amount of fire produced by there turrets.  I guess the tracking of all those vectors + collision detection is killing performance.

I guess 200+ turrets will not be a reality till such calculations are fully optimized. That or I get a faster computer.

Offline WMCoolmon

Well, there are a couple of things that would help with that...

1) batching weapons effects, which Bobb was working on (I don't know what the deal with that was though.)
2) doing as much collision checking using radiuses/bounding boxes as possible.
3) making sure the objects rendering code is as optimized as possible. Although this would largely fit in with 1, I think; ideally, you'd render identical object types together so you could just tell the video card "This is what I want rendered" then "I want one here, here, here, here, here..."

Edit: sp
-C

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
try that last build I posted in the other thread, I posted the dlls you are missing
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together