Author Topic: Graceful Crashing on OS X  (Read 3272 times)

Offline At

• Eklektikon
Graceful Crashing on OS X
Synopsis : Somehow include methods for gracefully crashing or allowing the user to abort or otherwise escape from the program.  EG through Cmd+Opt+Esc, Cmd+Tab, etc.

Basically, I've been trying to mess around with the latest builds for a bit and it keeps crashing.  This wouldn't be too much of a problem except that I can't figure out how to get out of this without rebooting my computer.  Even in windowed mode, this happens.  (It changes my color profile while it's playing, too.  Everything becomes really blue...)

When it crashes, first all animations and the cursor stop, then the sound keeps on playing for a bit, then stops.  Then the system mouse appears, and that's about it.  Oh, if anything's playing in iTunes, that'll go for a bit, then stop, too.  I'm not sure when, relative to in game sounds.  No keyboard fu works, and I end up having to emergency shutdown my pooter.

Running : MacBook Pro w/ 8600, Leopard 10.5.2.  Should it work with Leopard?

Tried with SVN build and the POV build.  Also tried the old link that was stickied, though I think that one just crashes to desktop.

This makes me a sad panda :(

I think I'll also try messing around with my ailing G4 Titanium, heh.
Does there exist a StarFox Mod?  Yes!  Check out Shadows of Lylat!

That thing…its just too persistant.

Sadhal thought to himself in between his pants. After a few seconds, his breathing came under control, and the pain subsided. Sadhal couldn’t help but feel a significant amount of fear and apprehension.

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Re: Graceful Crashing on OS X
I had that issue.  There is no way to fix it except rebooting your computer.  It goes away in taylor's XT builds (look around for them), but those behave weirdly for me.  My advice is just to keep the cursor away from the bottom and right sides of the screen (may be different for you).  When you have to do something in those parts of the screen, be careful and move the cursor very slowly.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Damn.  Sorry guys, this is an old bug that I fixed but apparently never added to CVS/SVN.  I'm going to release a new OS X build tomorrow with the fix.  If you build yourself though then just grab a SVN update and you should be good.

Offline blowfish

On that note, will the ship template code be in SVN (the stable branch, whatever its called) anytime soon?

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
On that note, will the ship template code be in SVN (the stable branch, whatever its called) anytime soon?
There were some problems with it actually, so I need to go over all of that with you in the other thread once I've had a chance to give it more than a quick glance.

Offline blowfish

There were some problems with it actually, so I need to go over all of that with you in the other thread once I've had a chance to give it more than a quick glance.

Odd ... I was able to compile it, and it worked.  I didn't specifically try to break it though.

Offline At

• Eklektikon
Yay!  It crashes to desktop now!  Er, yeah. >.>

Anyway, it crashes on my MBP when I try to start a mission.  Runs on my G4 though it gets a bit choppy at some points and the bullets and some other things don't blend right?  Plus the asteroid thing in the second mission had red spots all over the ship's texture.  Of course, that's on the pooter with the ATI card.  Plus I haven't updated my media VPs in Leik Ferebur©.
Does there exist a StarFox Mod?  Yes!  Check out Shadows of Lylat!

That thing…its just too persistant.

Sadhal thought to himself in between his pants. After a few seconds, his breathing came under control, and the pain subsided. Sadhal couldn’t help but feel a significant amount of fear and apprehension.