Author Topic: Hyperspace  (Read 11905 times)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
In the current state of affairs, your view will change to external in the moment your ship begins to jump out - like in FS. So if it remains that way, we won't have to deal will the stretching effect that you see when the Falcon escapes Tatooine in ANH. Of course it would be great to see a similar effect in FotG - we have the subspace.pof anyway at our service; some modifications and tricks might make a decent impression of a hyperspace jump -, but I'd advise caution against being overambitious.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
There's no way to lock the camera in place when jumping out? Or would that require a code change?
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline TomShak

Out of interest what is the current thinking on how ships will go into hyperspace. Will they only be able to jump at preconfigured hyperspace buoys (e.g. XWA) or can they jump from anywhere to anywhere? (e.g. XW and TF).

Canon tends to support the "from any place" concept, given that the Millennium Falcon seemed to make it's hyperspace jump without any concern for a "buoy". However, this means ships could always escape by just jumping into hyperspace. This could make writing certain kinds of missions difficult, for example a mission to ambush a convoy, As soon as you arrive the convoy would start calculating the jump coordinates (if they haven't done so already) and within about 30 seconds they will have jumped away.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Well we will just have to disable them quickly then.  I'm sure we'll find ways to take those things into account.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Nohg

If I were planning an ambush in SW I'd wait until the convoy was in a gravity well and thus unable to flee. Remember, Hyperspace is affected by "mass shadows". If these fights are in deep space, then yes they could run. Inside a system they will be stuck with the gravity wells' power. Or an interdictor craft would make it hard to flee, unless the gravity wells could be knocked out.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
I know the Imps would just bring in an Interdictor cruiser and use it to cast mass shadows all over the dang place.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

best ship evah! :)
Creator of Black Sun Corporation, the leading manufacturer of modern warfare.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
I was just playing KotOR and was wondering if the Sith Interdictor vessels operated on the same technology as the Imperial Interdictor vessels. And the Interdictor ship will appear in FotG, right?

Hmmm... I haven't read any starwars books in a while and they only mentioned htem in the ones I read. D: Although, you could probably find it on wookieepedia.org
Here's the link to the interdictor ship page: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Interdictor

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Meh.  Why didn't EAW have the Interdictor Star Destroyer. It'd save me the trouble of leaving Victorys and my designated flagship to guard my Interdictors.

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
Two words: game balance. The Interdictor Star Destroyer is as much a game breaker as an accurately-statted Tie Defender would be in a fighter-oriented game. If the Intradictor can be boomied, then there's much better potential for interesting strategic manouvering.

Also, interesting strategic spelling.
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

Out of interest what is the current thinking on how ships will go into hyperspace. Will they only be able to jump at preconfigured hyperspace buoys (e.g. XWA) or can they jump from anywhere to anywhere? (e.g. XW and TF).

Canon tends to support the "from any place" concept, given that the Millennium Falcon seemed to make it's hyperspace jump without any concern for a "buoy". However, this means ships could always escape by just jumping into hyperspace. This could make writing certain kinds of missions difficult, for example a mission to ambush a convoy, As soon as you arrive the convoy would start calculating the jump coordinates (if they haven't done so already) and within about 30 seconds they will have jumped away.

Why would a convoy/fleet come out of hyperspace if it weren't passing through a gravity well anyway? Maybe they're resupplying? Changing course? Taking on/dropping off ships or supplies? In any case they would be tied down for a while anyway.

yes they would. But most likely, they would also be defended until they could escape.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Why would a convoy/fleet come out of hyperspace if it weren't passing through a gravity well anyway? Maybe they're resupplying? Changing course? Taking on/dropping off ships or supplies? In any case they would be tied down for a while anyway.
Recharging their hyperspace drives, maybe ? Do they even need recharging?

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
An Interdictor would be usable in a campaign, you'd just have to either take out its subsystems or wait for help to arrive, either way the goal wouldn't have to be 'blow it up'.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline Zelvik

Actually XWA buoys arent in conflict with canon. They are a workaround within the engine of the X-Wing series representing nothing more than a visual representation of the course that your computer plotted. Its not 100% done within SW realism but the buoy isnt actually present but only visible to your ships sensor systems.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Those aren't the buoys that contradict canon. It is the fact that you can always jump out if you're within x meters to it, no matter which direction you are facing. As far as I remember XWA, even if you had an SSD straight ahead, you could jump out.

Of course, we can regard this as pure game mechanism.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Well, I'm no coder, but perhaps when you go to jump one could script a check, a straight line along the ship's axis headed to infinity, and it if intersects with another ship, then it cancels the jump?

As I said, I'm no coder, so it's just a thought.  If it works out though it might be possible to go off that basis and then add in such checks as stars and background objects too.  I'd say one could use it to check for gravity wells also, but I think that'd be better handled in FRED manually.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

lol. the warp out could be interesting. just imagine, a fighter warpis out and a star destroyer is in the way. if the jump is successful, then either the fighter is obliterated, or the star destroyer has a hole in it. XD

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
FS already has a collision detection on warpout, I'm just not sure what range it checks, it may be hardcoded based on FS warpout distances, or it may actually check based on how much space it knows the warpout will need.  I'm betting on the former though.