Author Topic: FSO on OSX Leopard 10.5.5 - Can't even Start  (Read 4355 times)

FSO on OSX Leopard 10.5.5 - Can't even Start
Hi!
I played with FSO time ago when I had Tiger, and it was such a complete breeze. The java web installer from Tureys, my joystick, everything worked just fine, Apple-wise. But since I've got Leopard I can't even start the game!
I made a clean install, so I donwloaded the latest 3.6.9 installer from Tureys, it was as good as ever. It took a while...
Then, when I tried to run the game, the screen went black and nothing happend. I waited. Nothing. I started trying some keys. Nothing. I tried Cmd+Option+Esc and the game quitted and I had on screen an error message:
Code: [Select]
Error!
Error:
Web cursor bitmap not found. This is most likely due to one of three reasons:
1) You're rnning FreeSpace Open from somewhere other than your FreeSpace 2 folder;
2) You've somehow corrupted your FreeSpace 2 installation;
3) You haven

File: /Users/taylor/src/cvs/fs2_open_3_6_9.final/projects/Xcode/.../.../code/graphics/2d.cpp
Line 1526
Note: that last line, I don't know what it is... my user isn't taylor... maybe a bug of some sort?

Then I came to the forums and looked for something similar. I found nothing but I came across some FSO Launcher. So I tried it.
Now, everytime I try to run the game, before the black screen and the hanging up, and the same error, another warning sign appears and reads like this:
Code: [Select]
Unknown Command
Unrecognized command line parameter. "-", continue?

I do not have a copy of FreeSpace2. Do I need one to get this to work?
If I do, and I get one, what do I do with it? And how?
My FSO folder is in //Freespace/, is this ok? Games

Any ideas what might be causing this black screen?
I really want to play this excellent game again!

Thank you all!

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
Re: FSO on OSX Leopard 10.5.5 - Can't even Start
if you have the freespace2 retail files, then just put them in the folder where they should be, if you dont, buy FS2 from GoG.
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Ok, this is confusing. About a year or more ago, using Tureys installer, I don't remember having to have a copy of the game.
Is this a must requirement for running FSO?

If I get the retail files, where do I put them?

Thanks!

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
now you do have to. a year ago, there wasnt much places to get FS2 from.
GoG has recently resumed distribution of the game, for 5$ IIRC.

http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Getting_FreeSpace
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Oh, didn't know that was needed. Cool. I'll get it.

Now, when I do have a copy of the FreeSpace2 disk... what do I do with it?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
You won't have a copy of the physical disk; Good Old Games sells their titles via DRM-free downloads.  Regardless, after you have retail FS2 installed, you should just be able to run Turey's installer over the retail installation to install all of the FS2_Open content and assorted mods.

Now you've got me confused... I need to install FreeSpace2?

I'm on Mac OS X Leopard, how do I install it? Is it even possible?

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Now you've got me confused... I need to install FreeSpace2?

I'm on Mac OS X Leopard, how do I install it? Is it even possible?

I'm not sure how the retail files come, but I'm pretty sure it's one of two things.  If it's a Windows-only installer, you will have to install it on a Windows machine and then copy the files over.  If the files are just in the download, you can just copy them.  Either way, all of the .VP files should end up in /Applications/Freespace/

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
I'm not sure how the retail files come, but I'm pretty sure it's one of two things.  If it's a Windows-only installer, you will have to install it on a Windows machine and then copy the files over.

Or you could just use WINE to run the installer.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Well...
Now I've got the three disk images on my Desktop.
I've mounted each one, and found some .vp files. I've moved them to FreeSpace/ and to FreeSpace/mediavps/
This is the list of .vp files I've got from the CDs:
• tango1_fs2.vp
• tango2_fs2.vp
• tango3_fs2.vp
• tangoA_fs2.vp
• tangoB_fs2.vp
• warble_.vp

And the game still won't even start... all I get is a black screen, and the same error when I Force Quit it.

Did anyone managed to succesfully install and play FSO on Leopard 10.5.5?
I belive I've followed every set to the letter, but please prove me wrong!
I'd love me some FreeSpace!  :D

Thanks to all!

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
If you can't run installer, you'll need to extract the necessary files from the cab files on the disks... most likely, anyway. The files you need are:

root_fs2.vp
smarty_fs2.vp
sparky_fs2.vp
sparky_hi_fs2.vp
stu_fs2.vp
tango1_fs2.vp
tango2_fs2.vp
tango3_fs2.vp
warble_fs2.vp

and possibly the *.mve cutscene files (though OGG cutscene pack should work as well...).

Basically, you only need these files and FS2_Open executable (and a launcher for convenience, and on Windows to generate registry entries) in the FreeSpace2 folder to get things started... oh, and the executable needs permissions to create data and subdirectories on the folder, but on the very basic level, those VP's and FS2_Open build should be enough to get started.

You might need to do further trickery to ensure that you have the 1.2 version of retail FS2 before using Turey's installer on top of the directory (which will install community addons to the FS2 folder), but you'll need someone more knowledgeable of FS2 on macs to help with that...
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Well it took time, but I finally did it!
I managed to get all those files from the Retail installation on a Windows machine and moved them to my Mac!
Thanks to everyone here who replyed, helping me being able to return to this wonderfull game!
Please keep the excellent work up!

Thanks again to all!

I've had the same problem, but with OS X 10.4.11... Fortunately, when I read about the files to get, I remembered that I've had it in a separated CD...
Now this is my idea... Can I make a pack with this files and upload it? Will it be useful?
Thanks
Forum: 134th Barracudas
PXO: Rael

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
I've had the same problem, but with OS X 10.4.11... Fortunately, when I read about the files to get, I remembered that I've had it in a separated CD...
Now this is my idea... Can I make a pack with this files and upload it? Will it be useful?
Thanks

No. Forum policy is that since FreeSpace2 is again conceivably available via legal means (GoG.com download purchase is both cheap and easy, as opposed to desperate search of bargain bins or lots of $$$ on eBay), all download links to FS2 retail game are handled like any other links to pirated games. Which means that the link to file pack would be deleted upon being noticed by mod/admin, and probably resulting in banning.

I'm glad to know that the file list helped, though. :)
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

No. Forum policy is that since FreeSpace2 is again conceivably available via legal means (GoG.com download purchase is both cheap and easy, as opposed to desperate search of bargain bins or lots of $$$ on eBay), all download links to FS2 retail game are handled like any other links to pirated games. Which means that the link to file pack would be deleted upon being noticed by mod/admin, and probably resulting in banning.

I'm glad to know that the file list helped, though. :)

Oh, I didn't knew this... Anyway, thanks to you!
Forum: 134th Barracudas
PXO: Rael