Author Topic: Script Request: explosion debris  (Read 2264 times)

Offline Nighteyes

Script Request: explosion debris
just a thought I had, how hard would it be to make a script that generates debris chunks with certain explosions?
for example, a massive railgun with a table entry like this:
$Impact Debris: 10
  - Debris Objects: (1,2) -- this field can define what object debris to generate
  - Debris Velocity: 100 -- speed of generated debris

same for the ships table, an entry telling the engine to generate a number of additional debris when a ship dies:
$Explosion Debris: 120
  - Debris Objects: (1,2,3,4,5)
  - Debris Velocity: 30

with a script like this we could have a relatively large debris field generated where a capship dies(im talking lots of very small debris parts, not huge chunks), and even add some debris to very powerful weapons
thoughts? :)

Offline m!m

Re: Script Request: explosion debris
This is possible to a limited extend as there is (AFAIK) no option to create new object from Lua so the debris wouldn't have collision detection. This also means that the debris would have to be drawn "manually" from the script which could cause considerably FPS slow down.
It's also not possible to add new table fields via scripting (though I'd love to see that :D) so the configuration would need to be done via a configuration file similar to the "Flashy-Deaths-Script".
But yes, I think this could be doable.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Nuke actually made a table parser, so a separate table could be added.

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
I don't know if this is on topic exactly, but is it at all possible to create a warp hole upon detonation of a warhead? I want to make a multistage missile that creates a warphole on the first stage which creates the illusion that the missile is in fact entering subspace.

I looked at the weapons.tbl entries and it only seems possible to create various explosions upon detonation, but not a warp hole.

Edit: Nevermind, Axem helped me out on IRC. You can tweak this table data to do it. http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Weapons.tbl#.24Local_SSM: ... Sorry
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 11:22:33 pm by bigchunk1 »
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
flamingsword used local ssms in his shivans mod, they were cool

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
An old campaign (Into the Dephts of Hell, probably) featured "subspace torpedoes" that generated a warp upon impact. The graphics weren't epic, but those weapons were indeed cool.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]