Author Topic: Tachyon 50% off on Steam!  (Read 7702 times)

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Tachyon 50% off on Steam!
Tachyon the Fringe is on sale for 50% off ($5 USD) on Steam currently through the 26th as part of the Steam Summer Sale.

Steam Link:  http://store.steampowered.com/app/32760/

For those that haven't played it...

Tachyon is a mission based free roam space combat sim, much in the vein of FS2. It was also released in 1999, like FS2, and played across the world on every continent. At it's peak it boasted 64 player servers and join in progress across all games.

You have a wide variety of ships, ship upgrades, interchangeable weapons, a unique & fast flight model no other game has copied still to this day. We have giant capital ships, and even larger sprawling multi-part bases.

Single player is composed of two separate story branches based on choices you make and locations you visit open up additional missions and have some impact on how well you will be equipped at the end. Each branch is worth about 14 hours of game play. Your main character is voiced by Bruce Campbell, of Xena, Evil Dead, Burn Notice, etc fame... so expect lots of snarky commentary.

Multiplayer consists of two modes. Base Wars and Arena (deathmatch).  Base Wars is a multi sector team based, race / combat / gathering contest to see who can protect and level up their respective bases - unlocking weapons and ship upgrades along the way, until you unlock weapons that can destroy the enemy life support plant. Arena is largely free for all most of the time.

Between the original modders and the FringeSpace project, we've released over 90 sectors of maps for the game. We've continue to host servers round the clock, support weekly games, and provide mod packs so you can fly any of the other fighter class craft in the game.

So if you've not experienced Tachyon and wonder why those crazy FringeSpace mod people are still die hard fans after 12 years, now is as a good a time as any to grab a cheap legitimate copy off Steam.   

:nod:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 06:40:42 pm by JGZinv »
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Re: Tachyon 50% off on Steam!
That image is much too wide to fit into the column on the front page.  Just FYI.

Offline JGZinv

This one is being used - http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=80954.0
It's larger than ours.

EDIT: Never mind you meant the HLP site, not the highlights box.

From looking at the index it's auto sized to fit the box.
What's it supposed to be?

Not the image for the highlight box, but the image in the post itself.  Hop off the forums and go to the Hard Light main page, and you'll see something like this

Offline JGZinv

I fixed it and the darn hard return formatting.
Can't hardly see half the detail in the little boxes now... *sigh*

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Just as a reminder, there is an arena multiplayer session held every Sunday around 12:00PM EST. (Give or take an hour)

Be aware, though, most of these guys have been playing for awhile now and are very deadly at close range combat.  :cool:
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline potterman28wxcv

• Just a fan player
Impossible to get tachyon working with steam, and impossible to post a message on the steam forum ; well, that sucks  :doubt:

Edit:  it doesn't suck, it just needed 24h to activate my forum account ; now I can post to get support  :)

Edit2 : It works  :D
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 01:46:16 pm by potterman28wxcv »

Offline JGZinv

*raises hand*

Um I'm the only person offering support on the forums anyway....  Make a thread or reply here please.
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=78753.0

Offline TParis

Thanks for info, I was very thirsty for a new, decent space combat sim. Read about Tachyon many years ago, totally forgot about it after that though. Now I took the chance and bought it.  :)

Offline JGZinv

Well we'll look forward to seeing you in multi if you can make it.

Offline FSHero

damn damn DAMN, I just happened to check the front page of hard-light.net today, and realise that I am one day late for this sale!!!

Annoying!

Offline JIN

Fringespace website is giving malware warnings in google chrome.  I just got a popup saying "this site contains malware"

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Fringespace website is giving malware warnings in google chrome.  I just got a popup saying "this site contains malware"

It's a known issue, but luckily the "malware" doesn't really do anything than stare at you funny.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.