Author Topic: Infinity War  (Read 2145 times)

Offline Luis Dias

The Avengers just posted the first trailer.

I don't know... it looks like a cgi mega brawling confusing war to me, movie version number gazillion. Are they trying to replicate the Phantom Menace at that fight? Come on people, this is not why I like these movies. Prove me wrong, Marvel.

And Thanos' face reminds me of Joss Whedon. A lot.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Literally 5-7 seconds of the trailer is a mega brawl. The rest is focused on individual characters and how this is going to affect them, especially Stark. Mostly "holy ****" faces.. but Starks is more of "it's way worse than I ever thought".

If anything, the best critique of this trailer is that it tells us literally nothing we already didn't know. "Hey, all those characters you knew would be in this movie are in this movie doing all the things you knew they'd be doing, see?" set to epic Avengers music.

But yeah, it's always cooler and more edgy to hate on the culturally popular thing. I would have accepted almost any critique of this trailer other than "cgi megabrawl fest". If you want to see what that is, go watch the Justice League trailer. Other than a Superman bit, it starts and ends with cgi flying bug armies.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
I like how Bucky just has a machine gun.  That'll show 'em Buck!
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I think at this point MCU can be trusted to not screw the pooch.  That said it will probably be a lot more "safe" and formulaic than say Ragnarok or Guardians. 
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Is there any other studio with the movie-per-year or movie-since-existence with critical and financial score ratios that match what Marvel's been doing for almost 10 years? Of course, that may not be a fair comparison because I don't think any other major studio is focused on a single franchise.

I'm not saying they are the bestest movies evar.. but the closest Marvel has come to a real stinker is Hulk or Thor 2. That's telling.

They've certainly nailed down competence (and I do mean that as a compliment, quite a lot of movies fail at even that, let alone doing it consistently), and they're always a safe bet for a quality blockbuster, but none of them have really blown it out of the park in terms of quality to call them the "bestest" at anything. Have you felt the need, after watching one, to go out and tell your friends or family that they should watch it ASAP? Or did you go "That was pretty good" and then forget about it a few weeks later?

Their formula is growing a bit stale and samey, we've all seen the big bads with their doomsday weapons and the mid-movie hero internal fight that they get over at the end of the film. I think most people are starting to realize this as well. Their movies don't really generate as much discussion or hype as they used to. I actually am kind of excited for Infinity War because they've been building towards it ever since Avengers was a hit, but i'm going to be disappointed if they don't go to darker places than they ever have before. At least one person on the Avengers oughta die or Thanos is just going to be a lame push over like all the others.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
That actually helps show why this trailer is so clever. It tells/shows nothing new. You can't tell if this is a good or bad movie, but it doesn't matter... This trailer is simply saying "you've been with us for 10 years, don't you want to see how this ends*?"

*We all know it's not really the end, but that doesn't matter either. They are clearly going to market this movie as a cultural event instead of as a simple movie.

It's a very smart business strategy.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
They've certainly nailed down competence (and I do mean that as a compliment, quite a lot of movies fail at even that, let alone doing it consistently), and they're always a safe bet for a quality blockbuster, but none of them have really blown it out of the park in terms of quality to call them the "bestest" at anything. Have you felt the need, after watching one, to go out and tell your friends or family that they should watch it ASAP? Or did you go "That was pretty good" and then forget about it a few weeks later?

*Raises Hand

That's exactly what I did after Guardians 2 and Thor Ragnarok. Or the first Iron Man. Or Winter Soldier. Or Civil War. Or Avengers. Those were films that were quite definitively above and beyond of what I expected them to be, and I am not ashamed to admit that Guardians 2 in particular is one of the most moving films I have ever seen, period.

Their formula is growing a bit stale and samey, we've all seen the big bads with their doomsday weapons and the mid-movie hero internal fight that they get over at the end of the film. I think most people are starting to realize this as well. Their movies don't really generate as much discussion or hype as they used to. I actually am kind of excited for Infinity War because they've been building towards it ever since Avengers was a hit, but i'm going to be disappointed if they don't go to darker places than they ever have before. At least one person on the Avengers oughta die or Thanos is just going to be a lame push over like all the others.

There's an interesting thing happening here. The early period of Marvel films (up to Guardians 1) was very definitely shaped by a strong corporate policy regarding directorial or editorial or scriptwriting that ensured that all movies fell within a relatively narrow range of outcomes regarding their quality. When they hired a filmmaker with a more, shall we say, individual vision (Edgar Wright and Ant Man), this led to friction. But now, with James Gunn, Taika Waititi and the Russos, they are giving people a bit more leeway to experiment, and it's paying off.
Marvel's strength is not only in them having found a very efficient formula for producing these films, but also in recognizing that they need to reinvent themselves lest their whole model comes crashing down upon them.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Luis Dias

Literally 5-7 seconds of the trailer is a mega brawl. The rest is focused on individual characters and how this is going to affect them, especially Stark. Mostly "holy ****" faces.. but Starks is more of "it's way worse than I ever thought".

If anything, the best critique of this trailer is that it tells us literally nothing we already didn't know. "Hey, all those characters you knew would be in this movie are in this movie doing all the things you knew they'd be doing, see?" set to epic Avengers music.

But yeah, it's always cooler and more edgy to hate on the culturally popular thing. I would have accepted almost any critique of this trailer other than "cgi megabrawl fest". If you want to see what that is, go watch the Justice League trailer. Other than a Superman bit, it starts and ends with cgi flying bug armies.

To be clear, I was not offering any thoughtful "critique" whatsoever, I was genuinely conveying my immediate emotional reaction to it. I've grown fonder for it later, but usually my instincts don't fail me. Regardless of how well done the trailer and the movie probably are, I see nothing here that is truly "ground breaking" or original whatsoever. Look, there's a portal in NYC! Gosh. Darn. Wowzies. PurpleMan is a BadMoFo and Kicks Some Ass. Sheeet.

e: Saw this on twitter. My theory is confirmed.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 12:10:31 pm by Luis Dias »

There's an interesting thing happening here. The early period of Marvel films (up to Guardians 1) was very definitely shaped by a strong corporate policy regarding directorial or editorial or scriptwriting that ensured that all movies fell within a relatively narrow range of outcomes regarding their quality. When they hired a filmmaker with a more, shall we say, individual vision (Edgar Wright and Ant Man), this led to friction. But now, with James Gunn, Taika Waititi and the Russos, they are giving people a bit more leeway to experiment, and it's paying off.
Marvel's strength is not only in them having found a very efficient formula for producing these films, but also in recognizing that they need to reinvent themselves lest their whole model comes crashing down upon them.

While I disagree with your assessment of the quality of several of their films, I completely agree with you here. I think it's Marvel's greatest strength, their 'secret', to make every movie just the right amount of different, to make Captain America just the right amount of gritty, or Doctor Strange just the right amount of trippy, or Thor just the right amount of cartoony, that makes them actually satisfying but never far enough that they snap away from being part of a cohesive whole. It's also a double edged sword, though, Edgar Wright's Ant-Man might've made for a better Ant-Man movie but it certainly would have 'snapped away' for being too different, and I'm pretty sure Marvel noticed that ahead of time.

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
So far out opinion time. I didn't really love Avengers 2, I thought Civil War was.... ok. These aren't Oscar movies but they aren't supposed to be. My big concern is this is a 2 part thing. Which means Infinity Wars: Breaking Dawn Part 1 (I would also accept Infinity Wars: Mockingjay Part 1) can suffer from the same issue. In a desire to split the movie in two, you can have a movie that's just a build up. Lots of setting pieces but obviously it can't end.

Has a superhero franchise one something like this and I'm just forgetting it? Am I wrong in being a little worried about this.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Pretty sure they canned the idea that it's Infinity War P1 and P2. Now it's just Avengers 3 is Infinity War and Avengers 4 is currently untitled.

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Really? Good. Solves that little bit.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Considering that this is the culmination of everything they've been building up to since the appearance of the tesseract in Captain America: The First Avenger, I'd say I'm pretty hyped. They have to cover a number of long looked-forward-to moments in this, such as the reveal of the last Infinity Stone, the unification of the Guardians and the Avengers, the revealing of just why Thanos is to be feared so badly (I bet he kills an Avenger before even getting all the Stones, and Vision dying doesn't count since that seems kinda obvious, seeing as he is built around the Stone in his forehead), etc.

Remember that the most powerful Marvel protagonist to date, Dr. Strange, will have to have a key component of that power removed, as the time pendant he has is actually one of the Infinity Stones.

Finally, I'm actually pleased that they dropped the idea of two Infinity War movies, because that worked oh-so-well for the 2nd and 3rd Matrix movies. I'd much rather have a 3-hour self-contained story than a 4-5 hour story artificially split down the middle at some sort of cliffhanger/resolution moment into two movies.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill