Author Topic: A couple questions about Universal Truth I  (Read 1774 times)

A couple questions about Universal Truth I
First: I keep getting a problem when the cutscene starts up (the first one, where the two superjuggernauts are arguing, before the attack starts). The screen fades to black, and then just...stays that way. Forever. I can apparently still fire my weapons, as the sounds play, and I can pause the game fine, which indicates to me that it's a FREDding thing -- the mission is still playing, but it's stuck in fade-to-black. It doesn't happen every time, and I think having time compression on might help, but I'm not sure.

Second: the mission's soundtrack, in the current (director's cut) version, is a song that I can't identify or locate. I would guess that maybe it's called Deus ex Machina, since that's what the lyrics are, but I don't know. The Steele Remix available in the mission simulator (which, by the way, is also subject to the fade-to-black issue) has a different one, a track called Machine. That one's on Youtube, where the description says that it's the soundtrack for Universal Truth. I'm guessing that it was the original track, but was replaced at some point by the Deus ex Machina one.

Anyway, I'd very much like to know what the song is and where to find it, because it's excellent.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: A couple questions about Universal Truth I
Quote from: credits.tbl
Deus Ex Machina by Darren Leigh Purkiss and Stephen Baysted
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Great, thanks.

...I really should have thought of looking at the credits.  :banghead:

Offline Darius

I remember the fade to black being an issue with older versions of the mission.
Is this with the Alt-J to skip opening or without? Does firing to skip the opening dialogue bring the screen back from black?

Also try updating to the latest version of BP with the installer.

Actually, I don't recall those options being present, although I think they were there in other missions of the campaign. Weird.

This should be the most recent version -- I used the installer, and that was only like a month or two ago, so unless new versions have been released really recently...