Author Topic: Future Nightly Releases Announcement  (Read 3096 times)

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Future Nightly Releases Announcement
This likely only applies to WIN builds for now (since I don't know how the other compiling environments are set up) but I can't imagine that it won't be possible to do for them as well.

As per discussion on IRC, the Nightly builds will no longer be providing a Regular Release or Debug build or Regular INF Release or Debug.
This is also supported by the fact that since I started posting the SSE/SSE2 variants, they have been downloaded more frequently than the Regular builds.
(In at least 2 cases, a Regular build was never downloaded even once)

Minimum build will now be SSE and will be considered the new default "Regular" build.

As well, per IRC meeting conversation, INF values will at some point also become Trunk values. This means that it is ESSENTIAL that INF builds are tested in all mods and in multiplayer.

The MULTI project is currently _exclusively_ going to be using INF SSE builds for testing, and many already released and WIP mod's are going to need the raised value limits available to the INF builds.

Test NOW so we can identify and resolve any issues that come up NOW before we make INF the official Default in conjunction with the now current Default of SSE.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Re: Future Nightly Releases Announcement
Sounds great!

In the meantime, can we get build configurations in the VS projects for INF+SSE?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Finally ditching INF builds as a separate entity?  Awesome. :)

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
I'll need to redo my data on the vcproj files, but yes. I can post .patch data for doing it. Though, I should also set up VC 6.0 DSP's for it as well, it'll mean making sure folks with VC 6.0 have the processor pack, which I should mirror before MS kills links to it.

I also need to post .png format data up while I'm at it.

And more great news: 5618 nightly got delayed because I found a way for the SVN Revision number to be output in the fs2_open.log.

As a side effect, it also displays on the Pilot Select and Mainhall. Though theoretically, I could undo that.
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Yay, I was wondering when this was going to happen. Well, actually I had been under the impression that INF had already been dissolved, and was startled to see it wasn't, a few months ago.

But anywho, yay!

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Sounds great!

In the meantime, can we get build configurations in the VS projects for INF+SSE?

5618-Patch_Files.7z
MD5: 247E6D821B97630EB979ECFC7992E87C

There is a patch file and a code.7z file. The contents of the code.7z go into the code directory, allow it to over write.
Currently only available in MSVC 2008. Still trying to source and sort MSVC 6.0.

Contents of code.7z:
Code: [Select]
fred2\
fred.rc : I probably could have just diff'd this, but the versioning data is now updated. You can update the "0000" at lines 2005, 2006 and 2023
for windows file properties to show the SVN build that it was compiled against.
Bear in mind, this has no bearing on the version output in the log files, just the windows details for "File Version".

\res\fred.ico : Full on windows ICO for Fred2 Open. Still have not gotten this to multi-resource like the fs2 ones.

freespace2\
app_icon.ico, app_icon.png : Should be pretty explanitory. For Regular release builds (now altered to be SSE Regular)
freespace.rc: Also could have been diff'd. Replace the "0000" at lines 339, 340 and 357 to the SVN number for windows properties,
same as Fred2 Open.

freespace2\debug:
A localized copy because MSVC is stupid, but this allows Debug builds to compile with their own RC and Icon to diferentiate
them from non-Debug builds.
Applies to Release and INF builds.

freespace2\sse
Same as above, was used for SSE and SSE2 non-debug builds, now configured for just SSE2 (INF and Release) builds.

freespace2\sse_d
Same as above, was used for SSE and SSE2 debug builds, now configured for just SSE2 (INF and Release) builds.

I did not go for creating a separate ICO set to distinguish INF from Regular and that's probably a good thing since we are now looking at bringing the two together.
So the only visual distinguishment will take place between Release SSE/INFSSE vs Debug SSE/INF SSE and the SSE2 variants.

¤[D+¬>

uhm.. what does that really mean (kinda new to this  ;) )
Follow Me! I know the way! ... ... i think?

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
It means that so long as you have a Pentium 3 or an Athlon XP, your gameplay experience will be faster and/or smoother.

And from a making your own builds point of view, compile times are faster.

¤[D+¬>

Offline Tomo

And more great news: 5618 nightly got delayed because I found a way for the SVN Revision number to be output in the fs2_open.log.

As a side effect, it also displays on the Pilot Select and Mainhall. Though theoretically, I could undo that.
This is seriously cool.

The revision number *should* remain at the Pilot Select screen, as it lets you know that you really did run the right executable.
- Particularly useful when trying to pin down when a particular bug surfaced.

Mainhall matters less.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I like this idea!  :yes:

Er... the version number thing.