Author Topic: RELEASE: "The Aftermath"  (Read 31513 times)

Offline CT27

RELEASE: "The Aftermath"
http://www.sectorgame.com/f2s/downloads.php?action=downloads&id=604

Is it possible that the FSCRP team could get "The Aftermath" redone so it's playable on a recent build? 

EDIT:

Cyborg17 has made this campaign playable. :)  Here are his fixed files to play this campaign.

https://www.mediafire.com/?ri49x7slw9ju83m  (This is the campaign with all available patches as of May 6, 2015)

The thread title has been changed as per mod request.

Also, to play this you need the 2014 mediaVPs and to be able to play the current version of BP.

Also, check the second to last page of this thread for a fix of a glitch in mission 5-6.  It should be in Cyborg17's most recent post in the thread.  Put it in the campaign's /mission subfolder.
NOTE:  This error (that the fix fixes) only comes up if you try to use the version of the Titan that is in the "optional" section.  The problem didn't come up using the campaign's "normal" Titan.

OPTIONAL:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/1275f581fwrsojt/AftermathTitanPatch.7z  (patch made by Cyborg17)

^If you want the modern (BP) mediavps2014 GTD Titan instead of the stock one previously used, here's the patch for that.  Unpack it and put its /missions and /tables subfolders into your Aftermath main folder.  EDIT:  This will actually not give you the most modern GTD Titan, but the version right before it.

http://sa.freespacemods.net/warlock.zip

^This gives you the new HTL Warlock instead of the previous stock version if you want it.  Unpack the file and put warlock.pof into the /models subfolder of your main Aftermath campaign folder and the other four files into the /maps subfolder.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 08:32:50 pm by CT27 »

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
Re: Could "The Aftermath" get redone?
Probably not.  It's dependent on the old blue planet mod which is currently not available and would be a fairly large undertaking.  We really don't have the support available to take on that large of a project. 
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline CT27

Oh well, thanks anyway.

I have another suggestion for a campaign the FSCRP could look at (and I don't think this one would be as big of an issue to complete) but I'll wait a week before I suggest it as I don't want to overload you all (I also appreciate Macfie the help you gave me with Derelict 3.7).

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Is it a good campaign?

Offline CT27

Is it a good campaign?

Are you referring to "The Aftermath" or the campaign I'm waiting until next week to suggest as to not overload the team with requests?

Offline Cyborg17

The Aftermath

Offline CT27

It's fun in the sense that there are big fleet battles with the fate of the universe at stake.  It has an epic feel to it.

In my opinion if you liked "Inferno", "Warzone", and/or "Derelict", you'll probably like "The Aftermath."

Offline Cyborg17

So... Are we talking about this Aftermath?  Or another Aftermath?

Offline CT27

I put a link to the Aftermath I'm talking about in the first post.  It takes place post-Capella.

Offline Cyborg17

I thought it was a download link. 

Edit: I'm looking at the mod assets and dependencies now.  I don't have time to upgrade anything for sure, but getting it working might be doable.

Edit2: So there are a lot of assets.... I'll whip up a macro to help me list the POF's once I'm on a computer which has word.  Why does this computer have excel and not word?.....
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 08:42:58 pm by Cyborg17 »

Offline CT27

I thought it was a download link. 

Edit: I'm looking at the mod assets and dependencies now.  I don't have time to upgrade anything for sure, but getting it working might be doable.

That's all I'm asking for and that would be wonderful.  I'm not even looking for the grammar or labeling mistakes to be fixed, just it being playable would be awesome.

Offline Cyborg17

Just, FYI, I am starting to do serious work on this.

Offline CT27

That is awesome!  Thank you. :)

Just, FYI, I am starting to do serious work on this.

Fan-tas-tic

Offline Cyborg17

So, the reason that it broke is because of the ship limit.  BP added ships to their mod, so about 12 entries from the Aftermath tbm were being ignored.

I made a custom ships.tbl to deal with that problem.  Not ideal, but it's mostly working so far. I'm now going through the missions one at a time with cheat codes to make sure the solution works.

Other things I've run into so far:

The intro mission has a borked sexp that points to a "turret 3" when it wants to point to "turret 3a".  - That was an easy fix. 

The entries for the TF Ghost are broken according to FSO, but I can't figure out why.  And when I run missions including it, it says that there is a missing weapon class.  Everything actually seems to run just fine, so I'm ignoring the error.

A lot of the models have inverted bounding boxes, but you will only see the errors when you run a debug build.  FSO fixes these when it parses game data anyway, so it's not really a problem. 

Currently, I'm on Act 2 mission 1, so I have a ways to go.

Offline Cyborg17

So I didn't test the whole campaign.  But it seems more or less playable.   I've uploaded the fixed modpack to Mediafire.  It has the original table files in the table folder as .txt documents.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/wslz1zlz07qm14a/AftermathBPWIH2CompatHotFix.7z

Requires:
Blue Planet WIH2 and AOA
MediaVPs 2014

Notes: 
There will be some errors which remain.  At least up to Act 2 mission 6 you can ignore those errors, if there is a show-stopping error beyond that, let me know.

If you play in debug mode, you're going to see errors with the POF files.

Also, this campaign did not feel fun while playing.  It is your choice to play.

Edit: Just realized I should have put the contents of the 7-zip into a folder within the 7-zip. Please have a folder ready for the 7-zip to be extracted into.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 07:00:48 pm by Cyborg17 »

Offline CT27

Thank you.

After I put the main "Aftermath" folder into the FS2 directory, do I just put this new download into that folder?

For me, the campaign may not have been deep like BP, but it was at least simple fun like Inferno.

Offline Cyborg17

You have to decompress it in the folder, yes.

Does it now work with the "old" BP mod or with the new one? (I could test it, but it could be an important information if someone does not have the old mod somewhere)

Offline Cyborg17

If you have BP WiH, Release one, which are Acts 1 and 2 of the Campaign, or any update of it that was released before Act 3 came out, you can probably use the original download. 

If the version you have includes WIH2, aka, Act 3, then the .tbm included in Aftermath will have ignored entries and several missions will be missing significant ships if you ignore the errors.  Use the partially patched version provided.

The author used ships liberally in his mod, so it's still possible that some of the ships I removed because of infrequency of use, like Orion#Bastion, GVT Isis, the civillian cargo container (of which I switched out 7 times for TAC 2's) are still in missions later in the campaign. 

So again, please let me know if you find an obvious instance of this happening that disrupts the mission.  The way you can tell is that there will be a warning that a ship class is missing and a mis-labeled Ulysses will have taken its place. 

Also, I will fix bugs that keep you from progressing in the campaign.  So if you find a mission that won't end, then you can let me know, too.

To report your bug, tell me:
  • Which mission it is, either by the mission name, or preferrably by the file name.
  • The nature of your bug and the general circumstances that lead up to it.