Author Topic: RELEASE: "The Aftermath"  (Read 31345 times)

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Re: RELEASE: "The Aftermath"
I literally do not understand why that is happening.  However, I can post a version of the mission with the triggers changed.  Although it looks like the triggers are set up correctly, there could be an unknown issue with using mission time.  Also, it's more flexible if has-arrived-delay is used.

Try this:

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 10:53:10 am by Cyborg17 »

Offline CT27

It worked! 

When the good guy ships came in the pirate capships got blasted fairly quickly by blue beams and the mission went a lot quicker now.  Thank you (I'll update the OP).

Offline Cyborg17

Excellent.

Offline CT27

Why was your attachment deleted (or "kidnapped by pirates")?  I just noticed I unfortunately didn't put it in the OP yet.

If by any chance you still have it Cyborg, I'll link it in the OP.

Again, my apologies.

Offline Cyborg17

I'm falling asleep right now.  Send me a PM sometime tomorrow to remind me to do this.

Offline CT27

Just did, again thanks for your help on this campaign. 

I'll be sure to link this link in the OP.

Offline CT27

OP has been updated for Cyborg's new version of the campaign.  All patches up to this point have been implemented into it.

Offline CT27

Something minor I noticed:

In the most recent version you gave out the way primaries are displayed in gameplay has changed.  In previous versions of The Aftermath that you released the primaries would only have the first letter of each word capitalized..."Ion Cannon" for example.  I.e., I think they're labeled like they were in Blue Planet.  On page 4 of this thread, I had a pic that showed this.

However, in this new version you recently released primaries are back to all caps (and a smaller font) like they are in normal FS2..."ION CANNON" for example is how it looked when I played this mission.

Thoughts on what might have changed this?

Offline Cyborg17

This could be a recent bug fix.  The weapons are written "IonCannon" in the table, so if the way that it's displayed has changed, it has to be a code difference.  If the point is to look like retail, then it makes a lot of sense.

Good eye for detail by the way.  I don't think I would have seen something like this.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
How fonts interact with the HUD did change during 3.7.1. I think the HUD table may need font entries added.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline CT27

I think Admiral Ralwood may be right here.

I played a mission on an earlier 3.7.1 nightly build and the weapon was back to being displayed as "Ion Cannon" in the Blue Planet style font on the HUD (same with secondaries on the ingame HUD).  What I was playing with recently was a 3.7.3 nightly build.

So on this campaign, it looks like more recent builds display things in the HUD differently.  For example, Trebs were displayed as "TREBUCHET" rather than "Trebuchet" on the HUD in a mission.

Offline CT27

The weird thing is, only the gameplay HUD display of primary/secondary names seems to be affected.  Mission/command briefing texts and weapon/ship info (when selecting weapons/ships) are still in the Blue Planet font.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
As I said, the thing that changed is specifically how the in-game HUD interacts with custom fonts, so that isn't weird.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Jackho

• Gnoti seauton ...
    • Downloads an al
Hello,

I just tried the first mission. It feels so exciting and real too! I think I'll love this campaign. As far as I can remember it's the first time I don't have to pause the game every now and then to read entirely in-mission speeches, mainly because I'm not very good at English but most of all because there's not much speech to look at, for "when you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk"  :p
So to me this is a really good point. It may be different in next missions I don't know yet.

Also I can confirm what's in the readme file : do not try this at medium level, you'd be frustrated.

PS : I didn't find the ninja'ed fix from post in page 8 nor in first post, hope I won't need it  :rolleyes:
A+
Jack H. : "Well... There's much more to check than six..."

Offline CT27

PS : I didn't find the ninja'ed fix from post in page 8 nor in first post, hope I won't need it  :rolleyes:

That was a small mistake on my part.  When I put Cyborg's new version (that has all patches in it) in the opening post, I forgot to take out the line about a separate patch being at the top of page 8.  I fixed that now.

The Mediafire link in the opening post should be all you need now to play this campaign (in addition to BP and 2014 Mediavps)

Offline CT27

Some info:

If you want to you can put the recently released HTL Warlock carrier into the campaign (replacing the older Warlock model).  I tested it earlier today and it works good (I didn't even get the errors some mentioned).  It's pretty easy to do:  the "warlock.pof" file (this replaces the one currently there) goes into the /models subfolder of The Aftermath campaign folder and the other four files go into the /maps subfolder.

Offline CT27

OP has been updated to have the optional Warlock and Titan new looks.

Offline CT27

Cyborg17, here is the mission file you requested to look at the Titan error.

[attachment deleted by nobody]

Offline Cyborg17

Try it now.

[attachment deleted by nobody]