Author Topic: Release: Old 158th Dump  (Read 5024 times)

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Release: Old 158th Dump
DOWNLOAD

Following the discussion in this thread, I actually decided to release this. The file is pretty small, but there is a bunch of old models inside. Released as a source of inspiration for modellers rather than actual modding resource. Most of the models from here are retail quality, lack of smoothing, tilemapped etc. Just credit 158th Team if you want to use something from this package.

If anybody has any objections: NO, I WON'T DELETE THIS.

Because:
IMO, if someone makes an informed decision to release their work, then it's released.

Enjoy :D

---OLD POST---:
So I did full scan of the system and I saw something interesting. File named 158th_Exposition_Dump.exe and while I cannod find it anywhere it remind me about something:
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/GTC_Aegis_%28158th%29
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/GTCv_Eris
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/GTC_Mars
Why these things are still impossible to be downloaded and used? It's been long time since Exposition was released and probably there will be no new chapters. So yeah, I remember someone requested all the dumped assets from 158th... Two years ago or something like this?

I get no point in holding old, outdated assets from dead mod exclusive. My question is: Why this stuff can't be released? Is there anyone who still have the files and is kind enough to reupload this?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 06:13:23 am by Betrayal »
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I do have them, needed them for very early BP stuff, but I promised Darius not to release the whole thing (since 158th guys didn't want him to re-upload the dump for public use, either). I suppose you can go ask Darius about those files (if he lost them, I can re-send them to him). That said, I don't see any reason why you'd want those things. They're terribly outdated, though some stuff is rather unique, it's all retail quality. Tanks were nice, but the best ones got released with 158th.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I have plans to remodel a few things, including Aegis and Mars. Plus I remember some cool stuff, including station with engines that might be useful. Also, there are a lot of cool ship designs here, that might be a good source of inspiration for aspiring modeler.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I still have it. Check you's pee ems.

I don't see the harm in sharing it if it means some of the cool stuff in it gets moderinized. Enlighten me as to why it could possibly be bad here, if you will - I don't think these super-sekret once-publically-available ancient-history 'exclusive' assets are getting anyone excited over anything. Getting used as inspiration for newer and greater things is probably the best use I could think of for them.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 12:51:47 pm by Droid803 »
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I agree with Droid. I have heard about much more older models which are still keep locked by some mods, alive or not. It's better to release something to public and disappear from the community, than disappear with all the stuff you have like ShadowGorrath did. Thanks for the dump, Droid.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Ask 158th guys, they're the ones who had this idea. I agree that those files shouldn't be kept locked down, but I gave my word to Darius.
Oh, and BTW, I've seen SG's stuff. He didn't have all that much, despite some neat stuff he showed, it was of surprisingly little use due to various bugs. Things that were actually useful mostly got released, and the rest isn't a big loss.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Yeah, most of this stuff was released by FSF or Droid sooner or later after he disappeared. I personaly grabbed awesome superdestroyer that PeterV made for him than remapped and debugged it and I'm going to release it soon, or with Mystery Project and Earth Defence. We will see. However I'm still wondering what else is lost. I remember pretty cool nebula backgrounds. Too bad we will never see it in missions.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
IMO, if someone makes an informed decision to release their work, then it's released. The genie's out of the bottle - it can't then be "unreleased". People may choose to stop hosting it, but they can't or at the very least shouldn't (again, IMO) legitimately expect to prevent others from mirroring the legitimately released content.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Especialy when 158th dump was released to public and many people downloaded it. I saw 158th stuff in some projects. Woolie Wool showed screenshots with Aegis cruiser in Celebration thread some time ago. In that case I don't get the point to prevent more people from downloading this stuff and using it in their projects. It's even not fair, when some people downloaded this in time and can use it while other cannot because hosting time expired.

Well, that's why I made this thread.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Upload it I say - is anyone actually opposed to that course of action? Not to FSMods right at present, which Steam has eaten, but possibly to Mediafire or something, and put up the link.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

I think I could put the Mars to good use.  :)
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Re: Release: Old 158th Dump
If anyone is interested, I posted download link in first post. I think there was more stuff released by LtNarol before. If anybody has more lost stuff from 158th, I request him to post it here.

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
Thanks Betrayal; I remember looking for these models a few months ago as I was interested in some of the ones in the wiki; 158th had some lovely ship designs. :yes:
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
DOWNLOAD

Following the discussion in this thread, I actually decided to release this. The file is pretty small, but there is a bunch of old models inside. Released as a source of inspiration for modellers rather than actual modding resource. Most of the models from here are retail quality, lack of smoothing, tilemapped etc. Just credit 158th Team if you want to use something from this package.

If anybody has any objections: NO, I WON'T DELETE THIS.

Because:
IMO, if someone makes an informed decision to release their work, then it's released.

I promise, that none of us will complain about anyone using these models. :)

If anyone has a complaint, they can come talk to me; all the old emails still work.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]