Author Topic: Sooo, act 4 for war in heaven is still being worked on?  (Read 44536 times)

Offline emark4

Sooo, act 4 for war in heaven is still being worked on?
Been wondering how things have been going for blue planet. I've just started going back to playing war in heaven and on the back of my mind, I always wondered if this would ever be completed because this mod is just sooooo goooood!. This mod ain't dead is it? Or is it like... on hold or something?

Offline Aesaar

Re: Sooo, act 4 for war in heaven is still being worked on?
The team usually does most of its work when at least one person can work exclusively on it for a month or so.  The last time that happened, we did the VA for Acts 1 and 2.  We haven't had time for one of those sprints in a while though.

Offline emark4

The team usually does most of its work when at least one person can work exclusively on it for a month or so.  The last time that happened, we did the VA for Acts 1 and 2.  We haven't had time for one of those sprints in a while though.

So I guess it's on hold then for now due to RL.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
It could get done at almost any time with a solid 4-5 months of work. But I dunno when the bug is gonna bite again and drive me FRED crazy.

Offline emark4

It could get done at almost any time with a solid 4-5 months of work. But I dunno when the bug is gonna bite again and drive me FRED crazy.

Uhh... care to elaborate General?

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
Even from my experience (albeit less impressive) that FRED bugs is sporadic as all heck.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

It could get done at almost any time with a solid 4-5 months of work, but I don't know when I'll be struck by the motivation and spare time to do 4-5 months of semi-fulltime FRED.

Offline emark4

It could get done at almost any time with a solid 4-5 months of work, but I don't know when I'll be struck by the motivation and spare time to do 4-5 months of semi-fulltime FRED.

Okay, 4-5 months does sound like a long time.

Couldnt other people that know how to FRED be able to take over FREDing duties or something?

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
BP missions are some of the most complex that the modding community puts out.  There are a few that possibly could do it, but they have their own projects themselves that they would have to decide themselves to take a break on.  They would also be less familiar with the modpack, how they do their messaging, and what story elements to emphasize. So you would have to tack on an extra month at the very least.

And they would need the same kind of drive that Battuta is talking about to finish in a similar time frame.

Yes BP is awesome, but honestly the only thing we can really do is to have some patience and play some of the other awesome mods out there while we wait.

Offline emark4

BP missions are some of the most complex that the modding community puts out.  There are a few that possibly could do it, but they have their own projects themselves that they would have to decide themselves to take a break on.  They would also be less familiar with the modpack, how they do their messaging, and what story elements to emphasize. So you would have to tack on an extra month at the very least.

And they would need the same kind of drive that Battuta is talking about to finish in a similar time frame.

Yes BP is awesome, but honestly the only thing we can really do is to have some patience and play some of the other awesome mods out there while we wait.

Well... At least there is bombe3man's Friends and Foes mod , with a part 2 hopefully on the way.

Unless bombe3man could do BP act 4-5.

Damn, I wish I could write and FRED...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Couldnt other people that know how to FRED be able to take over FREDing duties or something?

Darius, me, and Axem do the FREDding. Any of us could push missions forward but all of us have lots of **** going on. And usually missions turn out best when all three of us are tagteaming them.

Offline emark4

Darius, me, and Axem do the FREDding. Any of us could push missions forward but all of us have lots of **** going on. And usually missions turn out best when all three of us are tagteaming them.

Cant say I blame you guys. You must have been lucky to even have the chance to push out act 1-3 at the time. Maybe one day that chance will happen again.

BP Act IV, V, BP3.

I want to believe.

I'm making a mini-campaign that is HEAVILY inspired by Blue Planet. An alternate reality, where stuff went down differently at Saturn, and the GTVA finds themselves on the losing end of the war.

It won't be Act 4, and it won't be BP canon. But it is BP-adjacent, and it is being actively worked on!
"Obviously the meson bomb is a form of cat-toast-device, with the buttered toast inverted, so that the cat and toast both fly in the direction of gravity much faster than expected. By introducing artificial gravity, a pair of cat-toast perpetual motion accelerator units can be made to collide with one another, and they produce an unimaginably devastating explosion. Both cats are named 'Meson'."

- Wikileaks 2383

Offline Nagrach

• Just another Freespacer
BP Act IV, V, BP3.

I want to believe.

So say we all.
Crabby the crappy crab crap.

-273 °C. Finally a place where I don't need to sweat.

Offline Cazzym

Maybe Kickstart / Patreon the rest of the game?

You've already got a solid few chapters and a dedicated fanbase. A bit of cash could ease the burden of working on the campaign. Its also a good opportunity to get some publicity for the excellent work already done on this. Frankly given the quality of the mod I think its almost criminal how poorly known this mod is.

Well, that's unlikely for multiple reasons. Unless the patreon is for a pretty hefty amount of money people won't quit their dayjobs over it which doesn't solve the time problem.

And it's also totally against the FSO license agreement which clearly states:

"Copyright (C) Volition, Inc. 1999.  All rights reserved.

All source code herein is the property of Volition, Inc. You may not
sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you
created based on the source."

And I imagine some team members wouldn't be comfortable receiving money for BP. And it would totally muddy up the asset-sharing part of the community. BP still uses some community assets and the original Age of Aquarius was completely made from community assets. It wouldn't really be ~right to start selling it now.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 09:09:23 am by FrikgFeek »
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Snarks

At best, that money can be used for specified goals, say hiring voice actors. Then if there's any excess, it would be donated to maintain the servers.

Offline MC_Kejml

• Drinks Kool-aid
The money is not received for BP, nor is BP sold - the money is used for covering the costs.

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
The money is not received for BP, nor is BP sold - the money is used for covering the costs.
...of BP. So the money is, in fact, being used for BP. Which I don't think is legal nor desirable for the community tbh, as neat as it would be for us to see BP3 out sooner.
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.