Author Topic: New user, doesn't have the slightest idea of where to start.  (Read 3923 times)

New user, doesn't have the slightest idea of where to start.
First off, greetings y'all! I'm glad I found this place. While I have next to no experience with FS2 (none aside from playing it once or twice at a friend's house) learning about this from the Babylon 5 Wiki grabbed my attention and wouldn't let go.

I'm downloading TBP as I type this, so I'm not sure what to expect as of yet, but I'm excited! =D Problem is, browsing the forums, Wiki, and what not, I'm completely and utterly confused as to where I go after downloading and installing the game. I understand that I'll need to download missions/campaigns/countless other mods to make the game more playable, but before I go willy-nilly downloading every file I can see, I was just hoping I could have someone point me in the right direction as to a good starting point.

PS - I STRONGLY hope I'm not coming across TBP after it's past it's hayday, and the community for it is eroding. Doesn't seem that way from the forum, but the main website scared me as such...

Offline Enigmatic Entity

• Exemplar Essayer
  • Amigo ad infinitum.
Re: New user, doesn't have the slightest idea of where to start.
Welcome Totentag,

Plenty of people still play this, although as far as I know there is not that much work happening on it (but I really have no idea...). I assume you know already, but TBP is a stand-alone game, i.e. it isn't FS2, but uses the same engine, etc. I don't know much about installing sorry, except that for FS2 you put the mods in a separate folder and select them from the launcher...

Some one more experienced will be able to help you soon, since the HLP community seems to be growing at the moment... :)
Juvenescence and multifariousness is eternal.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Well, install TBP and if you want, the campaigns found here:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=52148.0

You also might want to get Zathras:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=71789.0

follow the instructions, there and enjoy!

In case, errors pop up, read this and follow the instructions on how to get a debug.log, while it was written for FS, it applies here too as FS and TBP share the same engine:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,56279.msg1180359.html#msg1180359

I'll admit, I wasn't expecting a reply that quickly. xP My biggest problem however, is that I've only played FS2 a couple of times, about three years ago, and with a joystick. What this means is, I don't really have the slightest clue how to play.

I tried the flight-school download in that thread, but the link was dead... Are there any other tutorial missions for TBP available for download?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Your best bet may be to get some training on FS2 itself (which is very active) and then swap over to TBP.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
I'll admit, I wasn't expecting a reply that quickly. xP My biggest problem however, is that I've only played FS2 a couple of times, about three years ago, and with a joystick. What this means is, I don't really have the slightest clue how to play.

I tried the flight-school download in that thread, but the link was dead... Are there any other tutorial missions for TBP available for download?

The gameplay isn't much different from Vanilla FSO.
But TBP utilizes the Glide feature for EA fighters like the Fury and the Thunderbolt. Just check the key layout in the options menu and assign the glide key to a button on your joystick.

Glide allows you to do strafing runs, to flip by 180 deg and firing on enmys behind you, while maintaining your last heading.

The Raiderwars starts relativly easy, so you don't necessarly need an "flightschool".

EDIT: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=57216.0 , the flighschool should be in this package.

EDIT: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=57216.0 , the flighschool should be in this package.

I thought of downloading that one earlier, just wasn't sure if it was up to date with whatever the current version was, so I was going to wait on confirmation. Thanks a lot! =D

Also, I don't have FS2 or any other FreeSpace, nor can I afford the (even if very low) cost to buy it. However, if there is a free version, I'm definitely jumping on it immediately!

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel

I thought of downloading that one earlier, just wasn't sure if it was up to date with whatever the current version was, so I was going to wait on confirmation. Thanks a lot! =D

Also, I don't have FS2 or any other FreeSpace, nor can I afford the (even if very low) cost to buy it. However, if there is a free version, I'm definitely jumping on it immediately!

There's no "free" version of Freespace available. You could buy it from GoG for ~6bucks.

There's no "free" version of Freespace available. You could buy it from GoG for ~6bucks.

Oh well, that's too bad. =( If Matt still has his, maybe I'll crack it so I can use it here. Though, that might actually be the original Freespace, instead of FS2...

By the way, while running through the Operator: Isolation campaign, after I finish the first mission, and click to continue to the next, I get this error, which to me is 135% gibberish. Any help out there for a wee little nooblet?

Error: IsolationSingle2.fs2(line 336:
Error: Required token = [#Wings] or [$Name:], found [+Use Table Score:] .

File:D:\C++\Freespace\fs2_open 3.6.9 - BtRL\code\Parse\PARSELO.CPP
Line: 659
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Table parsing error caused most likely by the table using a feature newer than the build (executable) you are using to run the game.

Try a more up-to-date build would be my immediate suggestion, but for future reference, when you encounter a problem you should enable debug build (which are denoted by a letter "d" instead of letter "r" of regular builds (which have better performance in regular use and are set to ignore warnings).

A debug build will generate a debug log in ../FreeSpace2/data/fs2_open.log. That file will offer more debugging information to people who know how to read it, and most of the time it's sufficient to solve the problem. Posting either that file as an attachment, or posting the log itself within [code][/code] tags is probably the best way to deliver that file.

Also, there's nothing bad about FS2 still being distributed commercially. GoodOldGames are (mostly) made of awesome, and by buying the game from there you support their business as well as Interplay which really needs it... :nervous: Six USD is a low price for all the stuff you get with it.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Worst case scenario, you download the FS2 retail demo and play the training missions in there. Though it blows my mind that TBP is a standalone and doesn't have training missions...
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Well, it does have a training mission actually. If you need help, fly "Aachen Flight School[sic]." This mini "campaign" by Karajorma (if my memory is accurate) is also dynamic in recognizing keystrokes, so even if you alter the controls, playing the mission will still direct you on what to push to control your craft.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
PLAY ACHEN SCHOOLING FLIGHT.

(and no, it was not made by Karajorma, although the basic design is based on one of his missions  :))
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.