Author Topic: If TBP could have new effects, what would you want to see?  (Read 59191 times)

Offline Slasher

If TBP could have new effects, what would you want to see?
There have been a lot of features added by the SCP to the engine since The Babylon Project's final core release in 2008.  These can add all kinds of eye candy, some subtle, like muzzle flashes on all weapons, some less subtle, like big particle explosions.  Effect wise, does anyone have anything specific they think would be nice to see in TBP?

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Re: If TBP could have new effects, what would you want to see?
Does "beam gutting" look silly with TBP's effects?
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
No idea but I've thought about trying it if I ever get the time. 

I did add the ability to slice the Nova's engine section off in the next Zathras. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Slasher

I dunno about beam gutting, but I'll try it out when I get the chance.  I don't think it'd look out of place with Shadow slicer beams, for instance.  I'm sure we all remember what it looked like when the G'Quans were getting carved up.

I've already tested muzzle flashes out and now that I know the table formatting I should be able to do those. 

Offline Slasher

Got particle spews on capital ship debris working.  In my impatience I copied over a lot of random files from FreeSpace Upgrade's MediaVPs so I'm not sure how or why it works at this point:

It's an improvement over 3.4 standards, but I think a prettier particle spew would be better for the capital ship debris.

Also the muzzle flash experiment goes well.  For nine years, the Omega's dorsal and ventral turrets have had an off-center firing point.  Before this wasn't really eye-catching, but when you use the muzzle flash it all but screams that the shots are being emitted a good five meters to the left of the actual turret barrel.  I edited the Omega's model file so shots now come out exactly where they're supposed to:

This particular effect could probably stand to be more orange, like the shots themselves, and less "sparkly" and more in line with the brief flashes actually seen on the show.  But that's for later.  I'm actually more happy I've corrected the Omega's firing point issue. :D

I've also been experimenting with the "beam-gutting" effects.  This particular example uses a copy/paste from the FreeSpace Upgrade tables along with some of their MediaVP effects:

The crew of the N'Gant had a very bad day that day.  Fortunately they all made it to the lifepods.  Somehow.

I've noticed while watching No Surrender, No Retreat that the Starfuries occasionally had muzzleflashes on their guns.  I'm thinking it wouldn't hurt to do them for those too, plus some of the other fighters.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 02:07:21 pm by Slasher »

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Cool! i would love to see muzzle flashes and beam gutting by the way they look awesome in those shots. thats all i can think of. The main thing i think that needs addressed is the balancing of the weapons ie the Omegas phalanx's. They are next to useless, extremely short range and rarely seem to hit anything. Yet the pulse weapons in BP seem to be pretty effective.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
seems like we will probably not only see a Zathras but also a "great machine" that updates graphics...  :)
I, for once, would gladly have one.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
Cool, new TBP effects :)

Try adding those whiteout explosion shaders.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
That's actually a script, not shader.
But I agree, that's a good idea.
Also, I think that this should be included into Zatharas, since it is, IIRC, an equivalent of Mediavps.
I'd also like to see hi-res bitmaps for TBP effects, new, updated explosions and better looking engines.

Offline Nergal

Well, there is something I'd like to see, but I obviously have no idea if it's even possible within the engine.

I'd be really interested in seeing a better cloaking/decloaking effect on those Shadow battlecrabs. I'd like to see them cloak or decloak gradually instead of just popping up.

Like I said, I have no idea if it will ever be possible to do something akin to the "rippling in and out of sight" as seen on the show, but i just wanted to mention it.

The beam-gutting on that G'Quan looks absolutely fantastic, though.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 06:21:05 pm by Nergal »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
This gradual decloaking is not possible at the moment. The engine simply doesn't support it.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Actually, it could be possible using change-ship-class SEXPs and animated maps.
Also, WCS is trying to develop cloaking, so maybe they have any sucess.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
No, it isn't possible using change-ship-class and animated maps. If you think it is, you're wrong.

And whatever WCS is developing is immaterial for us until they release it.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
If I set it up to start as an invisible model, then change it's class to a version with animated map (which would start with a full alpha frame and transition to full opaque one) and once the animation is over, changed it's class to normal ship, what would fail?
Would that not work for some reason, or just be unlike cloaking seen on B5 (and thus unsuitable for TBP)?

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
You asked about new effects, so...

I think you guys could probably use some new weapon effects. I've always sort of thought that about TBP, that the whole generic-blob-of-plasma rule was in full effect and while I can't, at this moment, remember if it was that way on the show, something a little higher-res might be in order. Something similar with the beams.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
I think the weapons could be updated, looking at the example Omega pulse weapons and the hyperion plasma turrets, they are almost perfect circles, Now after re-watching the show mainly seasons 3 and 4, the ship weapons were not near circles, they were stretched out a bit, i think thats the correct term?

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I think the weapons could be updated, looking at the example Omega pulse weapons and the hyperion plasma turrets, they are almost perfect circles, Now after re-watching the show mainly seasons 3 and 4, the ship weapons were not near circles, they were stretched out a bit, i think thats the correct term?

Its called motion blur...
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Slasher

More images follow - sorry for 14.4 / 28.8 / 56.6kers :(
I think the method Dragon mentioned for fade-in/fade-out of ships has been doable ever since alpha maps and change-ship-class SEXPs have been usable.  Unfortunately I think E is also correct in that we will not get a visual very similar to what's seen in the show - I really don't know how we could pull off the "shimmering" effect.  Below is a link to a video of a Shadow battlecrab doing the fade-in/fade-out method:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEPRKweXCCM&feature=channel_video_title

I've also experimented with the "blobs" to get a less blobby look, though I'm not entirely clear on what people are looking for so more clarification would be awesome.  In the video below I've "stretched" the plasma shot effects of the Earth Alliance warships from a length of 45 to 90, effectively doubling it.  I also reduced the head/tail radius from 20 to 15, though I don't think this is really noticeable.  The overall effect does make it look skinnier, though to me it still looks kind of like a blob so more input is needed.  The weapon graphic itself is unchanged.

[edit]The weapon graphic got changed.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBHufB8x76c&NR=1

I'm getting the impression people want straighter, "lasier" lasers?  In addition to them just being prettier. :D

I'm going to upload some screencaps I took just for comparison and discussion.

Narn and Centauri heavy cruisers fighting:

EAS Hyperion firing plasma turrets:

Agamemnon firing forward laser (note the halo on the muzzle flash effect):

Impact effect of laser on Agrippa:

Damocles firing forward heavy pulse cannons:

[edit]

Update for the blob thingies - I redid the graphic for the EA's heavy plasma weapons, which applies to just about all of the Nova's weapons and the Hyperion's main guns.  Link to the new video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBHufB8x76c
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 01:21:33 pm by Slasher »

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
TBP didn't recreated these pulses too well, appearantely.
I agree that they should be made closer to the show.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
What Dragon said.