Author Topic: If TBP could have new effects, what would you want to see?  (Read 59191 times)

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Re: If TBP could have new effects, what would you want to see?
The Drakh beams definitely have pulses. I tried to get it in game. But I don't recall getting it working. I do recall the pulse either jumping around the beam randomly or ending up hopelessly elongated. Either way it looked pants.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Slasher

I don't know if the engine allowed it back then, but now the bitmap scaling factor can remain constant rather than be a function of the length of the beam.  This has worked out pretty well for the smaller Drakh beams, but I'm not sure I like the effect replicated for their biggest weapons.  One of the numerous things that could change between now and the next release.

When capital ships are set to attack eachother, they fly to within extremely close range and circle eachother firing almost exclusively their secondary weapons. I know this can be corrected with waypoints, but perhaps a simple change in their AI can make them more believable when we don't want to put in waypoints(because we want some unpredictable element in the missions we create for ourselves). Say, they always face their target with their primary weapons and close within optimal range(range of their most powerful weapon).

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
In general this is not super viable, as the AI code is a mess. One thing you can do to create more dynamic battles is to use moving waypoints.

Offline Slasher

Why is there a blue tint around the beam?

Offline Slasher

Does the Vorlon dreadnaught ever actually fire its main gun during the show?  There doesn't seem to be any source material.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
S1 "Deathwalker"
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Slasher

Thanks.  That looks like such a wussy beam for such a big ship.  Especially since the Vorlon cruisers fire a much beefier looking one in S3.

I'm thinking the Vorlons can probably scale the size of the beam for a given target.  And since I can't make the current beam effect smaller anyway...

Offline wesp5

I'm thinking the Vorlons can probably scale the size of the beam for a given target.

I agree. This might also have been kind of a deception with them missing on the first shot too ;).

Offline MDani

Can anyone send a download link? (I had to re-install the game, and I lost these upgrades :sigh: )

Offline wesp5

If you mean the changed beam colors, they are included in the Babylon 5 - Star Fury Pilot Unofficial Patch 1.9: http://www.moddb.com/mods/babylon-5-star-fury-pilot-unofficial-patch

Offline MDani

Almost... I was looking for the "beam-cutting" and muzle-flash effects.

Offline wesp5

Has anything new been done it that direction?

Offline MDani

Slasher anounced a .VP some years ago, where he added muzle flash and beam-slice effects to almost all weapons. That file is what I'm looking for.

Offline Talon 1024

• How do you turn this on?
    • Mods, Games, and Stuff
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

FS2 Mods I'm waiting on: Inferno 10th Anniversary
Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).
The FreeSpace Font Foundry is back in action!

Offline MDani

Oh yes, that's it. Thank you

I have been out of the loop for a while! Beam Slashing is a much required aspect to space battles in my opinion from B5 to Star Trek.... Must add.... I will curious to look at the tables when time permits! Did anyone get a chance to get my beam charge up effect to work on the V-Dreadnought I made.... I was able to make it happen, but after several lines of if/thens, and triggers in fred.... To be continued!

Offline Slasher

Has anything new been done it that direction?

It went into limbo a few years ago. I have made a belated New Years Resolution to, if not unlimbo it, at least make the link less hard to find so it's not buried on page 69 of Ghost Thread of Christmas Past!