Author Topic: The power of optimization  (Read 22386 times)

Offline -Norbert-

Re: The power of optimization
I never got the wing thing in these ships.... I guess aerodynamics in the next centuries are also important factors... in space...
At least some UEF ships have missiles slung under their wings, so they do serve a purpose even in space.
Even in reality wings could serve a real function. The further from the center of mass the manouvering thrusters are, the better. But in reality it would probably be four wings with 90° angles from each other, and the cockpit in the center, much like the Starfury from Babylon 5.
Either that or a ball....

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Also, UEF fighters are atmospheric capable, you should see that in WiH R2.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Also, UEF fighters are atmospheric capable, you should see that in WiH R2.

Will there be in-atmosphere battles? If so, what will the GTVA use?

(I should have posted this in the What Do You Want in WiH thread...)
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Well... there is that mars installation pic around, so I would be pretty much sure there's gonna be a mission in mars atmosphere.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Will there be in-atmosphere battles? If so, what will the GTVA use?
Well, canonically, Vasudan cargo containers are atmosphere capable. So they might use those.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Nothing Dragon has said here should be taken as an indicator of content guaranteed to make it into R2.

The mission outline has been in place since long before R1 was even in beta. Additional content may be added if it adds to the story.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
I believe the GTVA user antigravity canonically.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Yeah, but its probably cheaper to just stick wings on fighters.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Yeah, but its probably cheaper to just stick wings on fighters.

Except if the wings weigh the ship down, making their microgravity performance suffer, causing casulty rates amongst the pilots (which are the most expensive component of a single pilot fighter)...
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
They won't make microgravity suffer, because even if they weight the ship down, they generate lift which more than compensates for extra weight.
That way, they would improve the survivablity of the pilots, by providing pylons for armament, extra lift and booms for manouvering thrusters.

As for atmo missions and R2, I'm just a texturer, so I don't know what the team is planning, hence why I said that an atmo mission "should" be in R2.
Also, I did not said that it'll be in campaign, it could be a single mission just as well (and propably will be, the mars city assets are just too awesome not to use).

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well, canonically, Vasudan cargo containers are atmosphere capable. So they might use those.

And we do know that they have proven very effective. :p

According to scouting reports from the 13th Triskaidekaphobes, the GTVA is using cargo containers to ambush key positions throughout this sector.  The hit-and-run attacks have unfortunately proven quite successful.  We've already lost three cruisers, a corvette, and an entire shipment of Bosch Beer.

Offline Snail

• SC 5

And we do know that they have proven very effective. :p

According to scouting reports from the 13th Triskaidekaphobes, the GTVA is using cargo containers to ambush key positions throughout this sector.  The hit-and-run attacks have unfortunately proven quite successful.  We've already lost three cruisers, a corvette, and an entire shipment of Bosch Beer.
Exactly what I was thinking of. :D

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
From the department of "Was this really necessary?", I bring you these news:

If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline ION3

There still seems to be weird lighting on the bomber. In the first image on the wings, in the second image on the wings and the upper engines. But it's propably too late to fix.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Probably just odd smoothing.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Dear god man, was this REALLY necessary?!  :p

Looks good The_E, though it does look like there might be some odd smoothing on the Durga
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline ION3

Dear god man, was this REALLY necessary?

Hey, Sorry. I just wanted to point out, that i'm surprised that stuff like this still is a problem even with normal maps. Just wrote out my thoughts you know? I didn't mean, that it's bad.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

Hey, Sorry. I just wanted to point out, that i'm surprised that stuff like this still is a problem even with normal maps. Just wrote out my thoughts you know? I didn't mean, that it's bad.

Nah he was talking to The_E not you.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter

Smoothing and normal mapping aren't actually related, and you cannot correct errors in one area with fixes in another. Usually, I use a smoothing angle of 22.5 (as seen on the Kent), which works very well for highly angular models. The Durga, however, has a very rounded look, meaning it requires a lot more hand-tweaking than I was able to give it at the time; the final version that will be released in the next WiH update will have those issues fixed.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline ION3

Smoothing and normal mapping aren't actually related, and you cannot correct errors in one area with fixes in another.

Really? AFAIK they both are meant to change the normal used for lighting calculations. It depends a bit on the way normal mapping is implemented, but it should be posssible to use the normal map for making flat surfaces smooth or the other way round or even correct smoothing errors.