Author Topic: Vasudan criticism of Tev focus on Sol Gate project--a little confusion  (Read 24428 times)

Vasudan criticism of Tev focus on Sol Gate project--a little confusion
The Rift (tech entry) implies that a major point of criticism/division between the Vasudans and Terrans is that the Tevs focused so much resources and effort into the Sol Gate project instead of preparing for another Shivan incursion.

Makes sense, yes, but there seems to be one piece missing from the picture--what have the Vasudans done with their resources and effort to prepare for another Shivan incursion? I ask this because there are a lot of conflicting signs about this dynamic--the Tevs have the TEI, an entire new generation of ships and fighters, the Balor, new beam weapons and pulse weapons, etc.--but the Vasudans have only shown or been mentioned to have pulse turrets of their own and a less combat-oriented logistics vessel class, despite having a much stronger economy/culture, etc.

Now, it's completely reasonable for the Shepsakaf and its group's ships to merely be an older, non-frontline unit. Heck, just look at the Meridian's battlegroup--same thing. But--and correct me if I'm wrong--there hasn't been any mention for Vasudan advancements or major preparations beyond 'reforming the Medjai' (until more is known, it's hard to figure out what that exactly means in practical terms).

The Tevs could also make the argument that, by bringing Sol back into the GTVA, they'd gain a massive industrial/resource/population/morale boost, for the entire GTVA. They could also say that the huge gains in scientific and technological progress in the field of subspace are major benefits for defending against the Shivans in themselves. Given this, alongside the TEI and its overt successes, I'm a tad confused about the dynamic expressed in The Rift. The cultural divide makes sense and adds up just fine, but the military aspect doesn't quite add up to me.

If I'm stupidly overlooking some points/info/implications, feel free to copy-paste and make me facepalm at my derping.
Delenda Est delenda est.

(Yay gratuitous Latin.)

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Re: Vasudan criticism of Tev focus on Sol Gate project--a little confusion
The Sol jump gate was enormously expensive, and the project combined with the Capella refugee situation sent the Terran half of the GTVA spiraling into a depression that by many indications could have been entirely avoided with some more prudent use of resources.  That'd get a wag of my finger toward the Terran half of the GTVA if I were the Vasudans, most definitely.

EDIT: expensive, not effective.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I am sure the BP team can give a more indepth answer but the short form is that the Vasudans invested heavily in their economic recovery after the NTF and Capella where as the Terrans got hung up on the idea of returning home which took up a signifficant proportion of their economy and so for a second time the Terran economic recovery was dramatically slower than theirs which in it's own way hindered theirs slightly.

Now I am at a loss to parts of your post which seem to imply the Vasudans have not made any advancement in their military tech when we have seen to my mind only two Vasudan ships in the entirety of BP, one the brand new logistics vessle mirroring the Terrans and a Hatshepsut which was noticibly better than the Hecate that the Terrans are still sticking on the front lines,  in short we have not seen enough to comment either way and the Vasudan line up was probably still very fluid until significantly into the WiH pt2 development process.  lets face it the UEF ship seen at the end of AoA has vertually nothing to do with it's WiH incarnation so we know that they will make changes to things when they are not firmly established and lets face it both Vasudan ships have sofar only been seen in heavily scripted set pieces with minimal combat involvment so are open to change by the team should they wish to.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

I am sure the BP team can give a more indepth answer but the short form is that the Vasudans invested heavily in their economic recovery after the NTF and Capella where as the Terrans got hung up on the idea of returning home which took up a signifficant proportion of their economy and so for a second time the Terran economic recovery was dramatically slower than theirs which in it's own way hindered theirs slightly.

Now I am at a loss to parts of your post which seem to imply the Vasudans have not made any advancement in their military tech when we have seen to my mind only two Vasudan ships in the entirety of BP, one the brand new logistics vessle mirroring the Terrans and a Hatshepsut which was noticibly better than the Hecate that the Terrans are still sticking on the front lines,  in short we have not seen enough to comment either way and the Vasudan line up was probably still very fluid until significantly into the WiH pt2 development process.  lets face it the UEF ship seen at the end of AoA has vertually nothing to do with it's WiH incarnation so we know that they will make changes to things when they are not firmly established and lets face it both Vasudan ships have sofar only been seen in heavily scripted set pieces with minimal combat involvment so are open to change by the team should they wish to.

Indeed, yes--the Shepsakaf and its small battlegroup is hardly any indication of Vasudan state-of-the-art tech/ships. It's more like, 'hey, despite the depression and focusing so much on the Sol Gate project, the Tevs launched the TEI and built an entire new generation of warships and fighters that are awesome, so if the Vasudans weren't hampered by either of those and supposedly focused more on being more prepared for another Shivan incursion, why haven't we heard much of anything about what the 'zods did with their stuff?'

As for the Vasudan logistics vessel--it is indeed an impressive ship, but its fuel refinery component over the Anemoi's (medical? limited carrier-capacity?) component means it's very fragile, even when compared to the Anemoi. If operating in hostile territory, that's certainly a concern worth noting. Still, it's an awesome ship (and it has mini-mechas with freaking swords! The ultimate answer to boarding parties).

I guess what I'm getting at is, 'where is the mention that Vasudans developed their own next-gen ships and have a fleet that's twice the size of the Tevs' or something along those lines.
Delenda Est delenda est.

(Yay gratuitous Latin.)

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
The Vasudans probably either ran their own review or borrowed the Terran effectiveness reports.

As for why direct information on Vasudan military modernisation was not included in the AoA or WiH tech rooms? as it wasn't directly related to either campaign the team could have forgot to include it, but perhaps more likely didnt want to until they finalised the Vasudan lineup of ships and weapons to give them as much flexibility as possible during the mod's development.
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The Vasudans developed their own next-gen ships and have a fleet that's twice the size of the Tevs'

The Vasudans developed their own next-gen ships and have a fleet that's twice the size of the Tevs'

Awesome :). Confusion cleared up.
Delenda Est delenda est.

(Yay gratuitous Latin.)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
 :blah:

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Didn't they say during the diplomatic mission in Age O' Aqua that the Vasudans designed all the TEI ships?

Plus there is that little problem of there being little Vasudan ship models the team can use for their fleet since 90% of Zodian stuff is outdated (The Newet can be seen as a step forward regarding that, but it still is one ship.)

Awesome :). Confusion cleared up.
Actually, I think he just told you what you wanted to hear.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
We have a pretty good idea of what we're going to do for the sprawling badass Vasudan military when we get there, but it hasn't been important to our story or modpack or filesize or word counts yet.

Offline -Norbert-

Didn't they say during the diplomatic mission in Age O' Aqua that the Vasudans designed all the TEI ships?

Plus there is that little problem of there being little Vasudan ship models the team can use for their fleet since 90% of Zodian stuff is outdated (The Newet can be seen as a step forward regarding that, but it still is one ship.)
Also when hunting the duke, the wingmen make it sound as if at least the Hyperions reactors were made by the Vasudans ("You can say what you want about the Vasudans, but they know how to build a reactor" or something like that). Either way I got more of a feeling that the Vasudan and Human scientists cooperated, when building the TEI ships rather than the Vasudans donig all the designing and building.
I wonder if the same holds true for the Vasudan ships as well, that they incorporate design decisions and technology from their Terran allies.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Actual quote :
"Amazing. Your ships truly are as beautiful as Iwakura has told."
"You can thank the Vasudans for that. They've been instrumental in designing our current generation of ships since the Second Shivan Incursion."
I'd like people to stop doing vague quoting from memory alone and actually look into the files for accuracy.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Interesting "instrumental in designing" does not mean they did it all.  Vasudans tend to be better at power and propulsion design (both of which are critical to good warship design) while terrans are normally better at weapons and hull design (we shall ignore the Hecate)

Offline crizza

Hm...but the Vasudan beams are better in my opinion.
Sure, the Tev beams(the green ones) do more damage, but the Zod beams recharge faster...so...
Taking into account, that the Zods are better with reactors and the stuff and that, unlike the Tevs aren't wasting ressources for that stupid gate one could think, that their advance in waponry is far beyoind that of the Tevs, plus, they can lean back and watch how the Tevs are doing, adjusting their own tech and if they want, charge in and finish the Feds...

But I'm pretty sure Mat will stomp me for that post...

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Possible colour scheme change for fish lovers too?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
It's hard to make big changes to Vasudan ships textures when still keeping them recognizable as Vasudan. There will most likely be some changes, but not as drastic as for Terrans.

Offline -Norbert-

I'd like people to stop doing vague quoting from memory alone and actually look into the files for accuracy.
Did you ever consider the possibility that people don't have the time to search through the files everytime they want to post something here, or that they might post from a computer on which they don't even have FS installed?

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
It is better to delay your comment than to post something bogus.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

It is better to delay your comment than to post something bogus.
Except for those countless times when you waste around half an hour crafting a thoroughly well-thought and well-fundamented reply just to find that for some stupid and inane reason they locked the thread just when you were getting ready to post.