Author Topic: Command Briefing - No ANI-Playback  (Read 3097 times)

Command Briefing - No ANI-Playback
Hello!
I've a problem with fs2_open_linux (again)...
It runs perfectly stable, but ANIs won't get displayed in the command briefing.
There's just an empty window (in all missions).
Is this already known?

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
I just noticed that yesterday.  It's just a stupid code error on my part in the code that helps guard against crashing with corrupted anis.  I'll get it in CVS as soon as I get the chance later today.

Okay...
Now ANI-Playback works, but other things don't ;)
Music for example... It just doesn't play anymore...
And the speech in command briefing doesn't work as well...
Oh... And now fs2_open_linux sometimes is really stuttering like I have no RAM at all...
In the last mission, it even stopped and consumed ALL MEMORY INCLUDING SWAP! More than 1 GB!
Then it got killed by the kernel... :(

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Originally posted by Mr_Maniac
Music for example... It just doesn't play anymore...
And the speech in command briefing doesn't work as well...

Next on my list.  Not sure what broke or when but I'm reverting recent changes to find the problem and go with a better fix.  Got an idea of where the problem is so it should be fixed shortly.

Oh... And now fs2_open_linux sometimes is really stuttering like I have no RAM at all...
In the last mission, it even stopped and consumed ALL MEMORY INCLUDING SWAP! More than 1 GB!

Well that's not very fun.  I'll give it a run through Valgrind and see if a new memory leak has cropped up.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Ok, the voices and music should be fixed now.  I found one memory problem which could have been a real issue if you play one mission to the next but not if you play one mission and then exit the game.  That last mission is *really* large and is one that even I don't play with all of the SCP graphics installed to help reduce memory usage.  After the current code freeze is over we'll have a look at fixing that but for now everyone just has to put up with it.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by taylor
After the current code freeze is over we'll have a look at fixing that
Buh?  As far as I'm concerned you're welcome to fix it now; a bug fix is a bug fix.  Unless this falls in the category of "über bug fix" or something.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Yeah this would be kinda über, a bit of what Bobboau was talking about in Internal.  I've got an easy way to slip in what I want but there is too much of a chance of slowdown during loading and stuff.  Debugging/optimizing would likely suck up a good bit of time and that's time better used on other bugs right now.

Originally posted by taylor
I found one memory problem which could have been a real issue if you play one mission to the next but not if you play one mission and then exit the game.  That last mission is *really* large and is one that even I don't play with all of the SCP graphics installed to help reduce memory usage.  After the current code freeze is over we'll have a look at fixing that but for now everyone just has to put up with it.

You're right! I've played many missions in a row...
Oh... And what PC do you have, that you don't play it with high settings?
I think that it would be perfectly playable, if I had 1 GB DDR-RAM...
But I "only" have 512 MB 133 MHz CL-2 RAM...

I would have upgraded to 1 GB if the prices for older RAM weren't that expensive...

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
AMD64 3400+, 1 Gig DDR, SATA

But even that isn't enough to play the last mission without swapping.  That's with custom media VPs though so the official ones may or may not have the same memory usage there.  My VPs are cut up so that all models and all textures they use are in on VP, all effects are in one VP and all other upgraded textures are in another VP.  It's easy to just move the hi-res effects out of the way an save memory that way or move the additional textures VP out of the way.  That can cut the final missions memory usage by about 30 to 40 % and it's much more playable that way.

I do tend to play in a window with several terminal windows, Evolution, Firefox and Anjuta always running though so that eats up a bit of my memory that could otherwise be used for the game.