Author Topic: Creating MVE movies  (Read 16461 times)

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
MVE would be great, if it would support 24 bit images, as xvid does.

As you said earlier, some users experience problems with xvid playback. On the other hand MVE produces nasty artefacts and I can't even convert our movies to the mve format for no apparent reason. So I have no idea what to do next :(
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline fizz

• Crimson Fields
Quote from: Tolwyn
MVE would be great, if it would support 24 bit images, as xvid does.

While extending the format in that direction is not impossible, I don't think it would improve the situation much. The real limitation in MVE is not the maximum of 16-bit, it's the maximum of 64k per frame (including audio). You won't be able to leverage the advantages of 24-bit.

Quote from: Tolwyn
On the other hand MVE produces nasty artefacts and I can't even convert our movies to the mve format for no apparent reason. So I have no idea what to do next :(

What are you using to convert your movies? avi2mve or my gstreamer plugin? If it's my plugin I'd like to know what's going wrong so I can fix it. If it's not, please give it a try. I'm willing to help if you need some. I am very much interested in making it work, even if some of the artifacts probably can't be helped.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
well, I am using avi2mve (+gui). I would love to try our plugin, but I am not much of a pinguin lover :(

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline fizz

• Crimson Fields
You don't have to be (would help, certainly, but whatever). A bit of googling turned up the Ixion media player (http://gstreamer.xeris.cz/ixion/ixion.html) which apparently includes GStreamer binaries. Now you just have to find someone who can compile the MVE plugin for you...

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Isn't it possible to upgrade the format, if the encoding/decoding code is publically (if a bit illegitimately) available?
-C

Offline fizz

• Crimson Fields
Sure, but if you lift the size constraints, the "MVE" movies are going to get even bigger. If you're going to change the format anyway, you're better off using a different codec like Theora or something.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
If you're going to change the format anyway, you're better off using a different codec like Theora or something.
Don't suppose you'd like to do up a Theora player for us?  :D

Since we are already using libogg and libvorbis, it would be logical to just add libtheora for video as the alternative to MVE.  No license issues, no patent issues, not a ton of new libs to rely on, and a good quality codec.  If I had the time this is deffinitely something that I would work on myself.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
If you're going to change the format anyway, you're better off using a different codec like Theora or something.
If I got it right, apparently Theora would have compatible license but there is no media player with a compatible license.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
If I got it right, apparently Theora would have compatible license but there is no media player with a compatible license.
We just write a player to integrate directly in the game, like the MVE player does.  There is probably an example player in the libtheora source so it could be used as a base.

I think that every video player for Linux already supports Theora.  VLC supports it under Linux, Windows and OS X.  And there are DirectShow filters for Theora as well.  None of that really matters though, it's stupid to rely on a media player for movie playback in a game anyway, there are just too many things that can mess up with that arrangement.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I assume Fury meant for if you want to play the movies without running the game. If there are filters for DS then it's not really a problem :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I did mean an integrated movie player, as taylor(?) did mention somewhere there is no license compatible media player.

Offline fizz

• Crimson Fields
Don't suppose you'd like to do up a Theora player for us?  :D

Probably not anytime soon, I'm afraid.

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
I hadn't time or the possibility to test the Theora format but from what I read it sounds a lot better then MVE.
Do you know of a simple encoder..maybe even a plugin/possibility to make it work together with VirtualDub or other programs?
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Shade

Wikipedia's Theora page lists several options for encoding.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
I hadn't time or the possibility to test the Theora format but from what I read it sounds a lot better then MVE.
Do you know of a simple encoder..maybe even a plugin/possibility to make it work together with VirtualDub or other programs?

I posted yesterday a link in our internal  to the command line tool to encode theora movies. It is the only available win32 encoder. And anyway, I do not believe that Theora will be implemented any time soon :(

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
I posted yesterday a link in our internal  to the command line tool to encode theora movies. It is the only available win32 encoder.
With ffdshow installed you can use VirtualDub to encode Theora movies.

And I don't know when Theora support will hit game code, but with the newest rash of people complaining about the AVI movies having trouble, I'm encouraged to start coding on it just so we can finally drop AVI support.  The main problem is that we would be dropping support for all AVI movies that currently exist and going with a single movie format (excluding MVE from that statement).  Making sure that we can do that in a way that doesn't totally piss everyone off is part of the change.  How much time and effort goes into getting Theora support in the game depends on support from the mods since they are the ones that will have to deal with the transition from AVI.  If everyone agrees that it (Theora) is the best choice, and the change needs to happen as soon as possible, then there won't be the risk that working on the decoder would be a waste of time and effort.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
If everyone agrees that it (Theora) is the best choice, and the change needs to happen as soon as possible, then there won't be the risk that working on the decoder would be a waste of time and effort.

Well, Saga suffers from the buggy avi support. Movies fail to play on multiple systems (even if the correct codec is installed). Of course, MVE might be a temporary solution. Then again, converting to mve is not that easy. avi2mve files do not work in FS2. So, is there any good to try and convert our avis to mve or wait for the theora support?

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
How much time and effort goes into getting Theora support in the game depends on support from the mods since they are the ones that will have to deal with the transition from AVI.

The only mods that use AVI movies that are actually released are Lightning Marshall and Transcend, AFAIK.  Everything else is still in development.  For LM and Transcend, we'd have to get in touch with the original developers, but for the rest, it's quite likely they still have the raw movies around.  If we were to say, in a sticky thread or something, "Here are the options for encoding movies, and here are the codecs to use", then the changeover should be doable without much difficulty IMHO.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Well then... :)

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Backslash

• Bring Our Might To Bear
And for those who have the right Directshow filters installed (...both of you  :p), I just committed a very small change that lets the game recognize .ogg files as movies.  So now Theora files are viewable.  Granted it still is using Directshow to actually SHOW the Theora files, but eh. :nervous:  At least this way we can start messing with encoding settings outside the game and actually see results in the game for starters...

My most recent CVS build
ffdshow
ogg directshow filters (if still necessary)