Author Topic: It's really too long since that llama has had its ass whipped. (Winamp returns!)  (Read 3803 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
It's really too long since that llama has had its ass whipped. (Winamp returns!)
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2018/10/16/the-glorious-winamp-media-player-gets-reborn-in-2019/

After the leaked 5.8 beta, the devs made a few tweaks and released it, go to http://winamp.com/ if you wish to get it (instead of grabbing the leaked version, if you were thinking of doing that)

« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 11:00:54 am by jr2 »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: It's really too long since that llama has had its ass whipped. (Winamp returns!)
Okay, three things:
1. They've been talking about releasing something for years now, and haven't yet.
2. That's an article from October
the new Winamp will be platform-agnostic, and will exist primarily as a mobile app that aggregates any digestible form of audio.
Yay, another electron app

Secret preorder bonus 4th thing:
AIMP exists. I don't see what Winamp brings me that it can't.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Re: It's really too long since that llama has had its ass whipped. (Winamp returns!)
Was it ever gone?

Because i use Winamp since... well 2000? And because it is still working without problems with current OS and plays even the several new audio formats that were introduced during the last couple of years... there was never a reason to change to another version of it?
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
From the article:

Speaking of users, this fact may come as a shock: there are still roughly one hundred million monthly Winamp users according to TechCrunch, the majority of which are outside the U.S. Consider that as recently as July 2018, Spotify had a reported total userbase of 180 million globally. There may already be an abundance of media players to choose from on your Android or iPhone, but that sizable an audience could ensure instant success when the reinvented Winamp launches on mobile.

Why would I care?  Well, I had a bunch of plugins and visualizers, not to mention skins, that were really, really good.  Enhancer 0.17 was the best (well, that didn't cost $$), and some of those visualization plugins were simply jaw-dropping.

Now, if it's not compatible... hmmm.   Although, I guess you can get some Winamp plugins working in AIMP: https://www.ghacks.net/2008/10/13/installing-winamp-plugins-in-aimp/

EDIT: Leaked version was noticed by the devs and they made a few tweaks and released it officially: http://winamp.com/
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 11:01:23 am by jr2 »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
From the article:

Speaking of users, this fact may come as a shock: there are still roughly one hundred million monthly Winamp users according to TechCrunch, the majority of which are outside the U.S. Consider that as recently as July 2018, Spotify had a reported total userbase of 180 million globally. There may already be an abundance of media players to choose from on your Android or iPhone, but that sizable an audience could ensure instant success when the reinvented Winamp launches on mobile.

There's nothing wrong with WinAmp as an offline media player.

But, if you think about it, that's kind of the problem here: What compelling feature would a new Winamp need to provide to make users want to upgrade and use its (presumed to be existing) for-pay features?

People pay for Spotify or Amazon Music now to get their music. Winamps' heyday, I think, has come and gone; The days of people accumulating a huge mp3 library are, I think, pretty firmly over*. So, what can Winamp on the desktop offer that would make me want to use it?

The answer is, nothing that AIMP (or, for that matter, Winamp 5.6) doesn't already provide.

As for visualizations.... what? Why? I know, I was a young person during the golden days of Winamp, I know how cool it is to push a button and have some cool visuals to go with your music, but ... when I'm at my PC listening to music, the last thing I want is some irritating animations in the corner of my eye.

Why would I care?  Well, I had a bunch of plugins and visualizers, not to mention skins, that were really, really good.  Enhancer 0.17 was the best (well, that didn't cost $$), and some of those visualization plugins were simply jaw-dropping.

And again: What can a new Winamp offer you over what you have right now? Are you looking forward to another program that wants you to share social info that much?

* Welcome to the footnote area, where I predict what you're going to say: Yes, you do have a large mp3 library. So do I. Been building it for over 10 years now. Wanna guess how much I used it after deciding to get a Spotify subscription?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
I was assuming that it would integrate with all other for-pay or ad-supported streaming services and integrate with your Library that way.  If not... yeah that's gonna be a problem.  But they've got the userbase to make a compelling case.  Why not have the best of both worlds under one roof?  Oh wait.  I know.  Because then the Spotify app can't collect that sweet sweet user information and report it back for (even more) profit.  :nono:

EDIT: And yeah, I use Spotify as well, and also have a massive MP3 collection that I haven't really used much (well, I did right after downloading Winamp 5.8 from their site, and yes, Enhancer 0.17 still does its thing perfectly, albeit from a complaint about not being able to access the registy on startup that doesn't affect its performance).

I'd love for this to be a  place for me to peruse an integrated database of both my internal music file collection, my saved songs, artists, and playlists on Spotify, heck even re-create my previous .m3u playlists on the Spotify service (maybe with a plugin or something), listen to podcasts from iHeartRadio or SoundCloud, and hopefully do cross-platform searches for anything I'm looking for.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 02:48:27 pm by jr2 »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I was assuming that it would integrate with all other for-pay or ad-supported streaming services and integrate with your Library that way.  If not... yeah that's gonna be a problem.  But they've got the userbase to make a compelling case.  Why not have the best of both worlds under one roof?  Oh wait.  I know.  Because then the Spotify app can't collect that sweet sweet user information and report it back for (even more) profit.  :nono:

They really do not have a userbase. Not in the sense that, for example, MS Office has: If MS releases a new Office, they can be relatively certain that a lot of their previous customers will buy it. Winamps' userbase has been using the same program for years now, likely without ever really considering that an upgrade might be needed (and it's still an open question whether the people who have the thing installed are actually using it).

As for Spotify: I don't think they really care. To use that service, you need to sign up for it; if they allow external API access, it will require valid logins. They will get all the data they want.

I'd love for this to be a  place for me to peruse an integrated database of both my internal music file collection, my saved songs, artists, and playlists on Spotify, heck even re-create my previous .m3u playlists on the Spotify service (maybe with a plugin or something), listen to podcasts from iHeartRadio or SoundCloud, and hopefully do cross-platform searches for anything I'm looking for.

And maybe you'll even get that (although I wouldn't have high hopes for it).

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I'm a little baffled here... I ditched WinAmp for VLC long ago.  Is anyone really pining for its return?
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I've always used Winamp for playing audio. However, I don't see the point of a new version. I don't even know what version I have, but it already does everything I want. All the music I listen to is from games and much of it only exists as offline files, so I don't use any of the streaming services.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
* ... I predict what you're going to say: Yes, you do have a large mp3 library. So do I. Been building it for over 10 years now. Wanna guess how much I used it after deciding to get a Spotify subscription?

Several years ago I ripped all my CDs (~200) to MP3.  But since I started listening to Spotify and satellite radio, I've pretty much stopped listening to my MP3s and stopped buying CDs.  The last one I remember buying was Foo Fighters' Wasting Light, and unbelievably that was almost 8 years ago!
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I'm a little baffled here... I ditched WinAmp for VLC long ago.  Is anyone really pining for its return?
My thoughts exactly.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

My thoughts exactly.

I prefer Winamps design and handling over that of VLC, but I am not even sure if I'm having the latest version that is available now.

I've just used Foobar2000 instead. It's a lot quicker, for starters.

There are people who unironically use VLC in 2019? :confused:
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

^ Given that there are people that unironically use winamp, media player classic or even freaking windows media player (or whatever it's called these days) : yes.

What's wrong with unironically using VLC or Media Player Classic?

Media Player Classic is actually decent with the MadVR renderer though.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
MPC is great.  I used to use that for video before VLC (or when VLC was being quirky with a particular format back in the day).  I've also used foobar2000, and it's nice.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I swear by PotPlayer for video at least, which is by the creator of KMPlayer.  It'll eat up just about any format you throw at it and has a hideous amount of configuration and rendering options.

And I'm happy to see Winamp getting some sort of new release if for no other reason than it's comforting to know it's still out there.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
KMPlayer was another good one.

None of the other players ever seemed to have quite the level of 3rd party plugins to back them up as Winamp, though, IDK why.