Author Topic: Coronavirus Outbreak  (Read 134825 times)

Obligatorryyyy

« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 05:38:33 pm by -Joshua- »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
But please explain to me how signing a bill once a year absolves this administration from literally all they have(n't) done in the past few years when it comes to, err

not staffing the cdc when people quit
disbanding *the entire pandemic team* after its leader quit
not staffing those gaps either
not having tests ready
lying about how long the disease was in the country (US's first case was in january)
claiming the disease was "under control" in february
not doing any testing to confirm this claim
purposefully leaving people to die in an effort to "not raise the numbers" on how many people were infected
claiming the virus was contained
saying that the coronavirus is "Like the flu"
saying the virus will "Disappear like a miracle"
not doing any testing to see if it's actually going away
underplaying the amount of (known) infections by saying they were "lower then just about anybody"
Having a 10 minute speech which turned out to be so wrong that various other departments had to correct it
Focusing this speech on how you're preventing the disease from entering the country, completely ignoring that the disease literally already is in the country (since January!) and what you really need is more testing.

Or you can continue to be a coward who shrinks away when confronted with reality.

I've already addressed the tests.

You can complain about the public-facing rhetoric, but Trump closed the borders to China on January 31, much to everyone's chagrin back then.

https://web.archive.org/web/20200318113953/https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/03/16/no-white-house-didnt-dissolve-its-pandemic-response-office/

I'm going to give your entire post a big citation ****ing needed for now though.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Lol, most of that is straight out of Trump's public speeches.

Closing the borders on the 31st to China did **** all because the disease was already known to be in at least 20+ countries by then, including the US.

EDIT: jr2, what's your goal here? There is literally no argument to be made that the US response has been good.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I'm going to give your entire post a big citation ****ing needed for now though.

How about you give it an actual response before you get ejected from this thread. Every single one of Josh's points is easy to source; you should be able to come up with a response without being given chapter and verse on every single one.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
And while we're talking about government responses and the need for them to make the right statements at the right time, here's Chancellor Merkel's address to the nation from yesterday. I should perhaps point out that Merkel does not do this, as a rule; in all her time in office, she only rarely addressed the nation this way. I generally dislike Merkel; I think her leadership has had catastrophic effects on the political fabric of the Federal Republic, but I can't help but respect her: She has demonstrated a moral courage and empathy in the refugee crisis and in this that I appreciate.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
😷
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

How about you give it an actual response before you get ejected from this thread. Every single one of Josh's points is easy to source; you should be able to come up with a response without being given chapter and verse on every single one.

inb4 he says there's too many links now

EDIT: jr2, what's your goal here? There is literally no argument to be made that the US response has been good.

Apperently it's got something to do with us giving our regards to Maddow.
What the goal doesn't involve is actually engaging with other people's points. He'd have done that already, but he just keeps jumping on a random tangent to avoid answering Karajorma.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 05:51:17 pm by -Joshua- »

Offline theperfectdrugsk

• thinks there should be a dedicated 'en-dash' key
Went to the store yesterday, and besides being low on most canned goods and TP...they were completely out of spinach, lettuce, oatmeal, and ground beef.

Folks are eating some really ****ing weird salads.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I saw a video from fellow teacher here in Xi'an who was explaining that watching his WeChat moments was like watching an entire country slowly lose their minds. And it's very, very true. Literally two weeks ago I looked out of a window and watched two kids play ping pong for a minute with no ball. :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
What I can't understand is why people are hoarding toilet paper
Went to the store yesterday, and besides being low on most canned goods and TP...they were completely out of spinach, lettuce, oatmeal, and ground beef.

Folks are eating some really ****ing weird salads.

Yeah, my supermarket has a lot of the same things missing. But it's also missing toilet paper and has been for days. Every time a new shipment of paper towels and toilet paper arrives at 6am when the store open, a bunch of customers descend like hungry vultures and buy them within 15 minutes. It's gotten so bad that the store is imposing a limit on the number of one or two (at most) 6-pack packages of toilet paper and paper towels. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I saw a video from fellow teacher here in Xi'an who was explaining that watching his WeChat moments was like watching an entire country slowly lose their minds. And it's very, very true. Literally two weeks ago I looked out of a window and watched two kids play ping pong for a minute with no ball. :D

Maybe it was a virtual ping pong ball? :nervous:
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
But the CDC budget was increased, and signed off on by Trump (although I get you're at least stating that he only proposed it, you also have to consider how bargaining works: you propose massive cuts, they propose massive increases, you meet in the middle).

So what you are saying here is that Trump wanted to give the CDC less money than Congress wanted to. Even if you are 100% correct about the reason Trump wanted to make those cuts, the absolute inescapable conclusion is that Trump believed that the CDC should have less money than Congress wanted to give them. So although the funding the CDC did have has increased, by your own argument you must admit that Trump cut the CDC funding from what it could have been.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The toilet paper thing has become some sort of bizarre self-perpetuating global meme at this point.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
This made me laugh.

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]

Movie when

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It's not just politicians who can be accused of stupidity in this. No a giant heap of stupid resides in manglement:

The online furniture retailer Houzz Inc. told operations and administrative staff to come in while the rest of their colleagues went remote. “I have never felt more devalued or disposable as a worker,” said one Houzz worker. That employee, like others who spoke to Bloomberg News, requested anonymity for fear of losing their job. In a statement, the company confirmed that some employees have to work from offices that remain open but said those who expressed concern are able to speak with management or human resources “to find a solution.”

No story about manglement is complete without an elongated muskrat:
But there are cases in which a company deems itself—and at least part of its workforce—to be essential, requiring employees to take risks. On Wednesday, Tesla Inc. was awaiting final word on the status of its factory in Fremont, California, after Alameda County officials said it is not an essential business. Many employees have still been coming to work.

But, the corporate overlords assure us (in a conference call they attended remotely), it's not about them having a need for presenteeism, it's about solidarity:
At American Airlines Inc., for instance, one employee said they were asked to work from the office “as an act of solidarity with frontline members.” A spokesperson said that work from home is allowed at the manager’s discretion and that the company has been working to ensure employees don’t feel pressured to come into the office.

It's not part of the article above, but did you realize that funko pops and videogame preorders are essential during this time? Lots of us haven't, but thanks to GameStop manglement, we can rest assured that our supply of these vital items is secure.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
So, some encouraging news:

China {post-humously} exonerates doctor reprimanded for warning of virus.

That and there's some news about effective treatments: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41422-020-0282-0

Now I apparently have a list of links to go through.

I'd rather you'd actually reply to karajorma.