Author Topic: GTI: Untold Sorties  (Read 4777 times)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
GTI: Untold Sorties
Howdy all:

I just signed on to the HLP forum, but I've been with VWBB Forum for a couple of months.  If some of you lurk or participate around there from time to time, you may have seen me there.  You may have also heard me make occasional reference to a campaign I'm working on myself called "GTI: Untold Sorties".  Its kind of a precurser to "The Great War", while tying into "Silent Threat" and to a much less extent, FS2.  After playing the Port2.0 and familiarizing myself with FRED and some table and pof moding, I realized I could make the campaign on my own.  I've been working on it for a couple months now, and I'm moving along with it farely well considering how little I knew about FREDing and the rest when I started.  In any case, as the FS1 Port team is working on the "Silent Threat Reborn" campaign to try to tie together some of the loose ends of FS:ST, I thought that perhaps some collaboration might be possible, eventually even perhaps including my campaign in future Port releases (like 4.0 or something considering how many missions are in it).  This may be somewhat presumptuous of me, but if it is possible to make these two fan campaigns work together in a fusion with FS1 & ST original, it might create a compelling saga.  Of course, if our respective campaigns cannot maintain a continuity between each other, then something like that loses its charm.

I'd appreciate a response, of any kind (though preferably not intense criticism ;)  ).

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Cool. I would STRONGLY suggest you wait for the release of ST:R first to see what we've clarified, first. Then you can take that as gospel and do whatever you like.

Good luck on your campaign. I started this on my own (and it looks like I'm going to finish it on my own :sigh: ) and it's been very successful thus far. Feel free to share ideas via PM, and I can give you some tips, too. :yes:
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
For me, FRED is becoming a four letter word (...which it already is anyway, but you get the idea).  Actually, the problem is FS2 and its annoying event caps.  It seems that most of my earlier missions have become corrupted somehow, so until I can solve the problem, "GTI: Untold Sorties" is on hold.  I plan to buy a second hard drive sometime in the near future, with which I'll have the space to get and install FS2_Open in its latest incarnation.  This will also serve to fix a few other roadblocks of mine, but it will require essentially a complete rewrite of nearly everything I've done so far.

I'll use the meantime to refamiliarize myself with the existing campaigns that I've got, mainly to get a feel for what I'm missing in my own.

Later!

Offline Exarch

There are a couple of potential options for saving a corrupted mission:

a) If you worked on one recently, it should have some automatic backups, backup.001-backup.009. To use one of these, just rename is to something.fs2. There's also a missionname.bak which is a backup of the next most recent save of that mission, again, just rename to use.

b) Try downloading an FSOpen build, preferably from phreak's sig since that one is very stable, and see if it will open in FRED2_Open. If it does, it's probably the event cap that's giving you trouble, so remove some, save, and you can (hopefully) open it in regular FRED2 again.

c) If all else fails, try opening your mission in wordpad and looking through it for anything that shouldn't be there. If you don't know what should be there, make a bare-bones mission with just 1-2 ships and events then save that, and use it as a template for what's right and what's wrong.

Hope you can save some of them at least, losing several missions' worth of work really sucks.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
As far as using the backup is concerned... I've tried that several times over the past few months when things have gone wrong, and the backups get currupted too.  This time, I even used the usual trick and copied a version of the mission from a few weeks ago, before certain changes were added, and it still refused to work for me.  I'm fed up with the uncertainty of using the standard issue FRED2, so I'll wait until I can use Open.

I have to wait because right now I've got less than a gig free on a 30GB drive.  I've burnt, I've uninstalled, I've deleted stuff, and my space is still gobbled up, seemingly just by use and not by downloading or installing.

When I've solved my space limitations (and not before), I'll grab Open and see what I can do with her. :thepimp: :D  :D

Later!

Offline Exarch

FS2_Open, FRED2_Open and the launcher take up 5.51mb combined... so a gig will more than do ;) Just put them in your FS2 root directory and run them instead of the original ones when you feel like using them, no need for a seperate install until you start using FSOpen specific functions when designing missions, and even that you can get around by just making a copy of your data folder for use with FSOpen.

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Originally posted by Trivial Psychic
precurser to "The Great War", while tying into "Silent Threat" and to a much less extent, FS2

Kindof stuck to canon there... Be careful not to contradict anyone else from that era...

I can only think of two;

"All Hands To War"
and
Goobers one... "Times of Change" maybe?

:nod:
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Time of Change is somebody else's campaign (but AFAIK it does take place in FS1).

Deus Ex Machina is FS2, while Fortunes of War is FS1 but not released yet.  FOW is something of an alternate universe story anyway, since it involves a second Lucifer.

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War

AHTW

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
It is my sad duty to report that "GTI: Untold Sorties" has been pushed onto an even further back burner.  This time it is not due to the restrictions of FS2, or the limitations of my hard drive cappacity, but something more essential to use and test of FS... my flight stick.  Yes, after more than 7 months of faithful (if not uneventful) service to my in my quest to become THE space supperiority fighter pilot, my Logitech WingMan Strike Force 3D w/USB & Force Feedback, has gone the way of the wounded champion race horse... and will likely be shot.  It seems that a malfunction in the force feedback system has caused it to fail in the left side, so I can no longer steer my fighter.  I was flying the FSPort, attempting to prevent the Lucifer from completing its jump to Sol (and keeping my Herc intact), when my stick suddenly went hard left on its own.  I tried to fight it for control, but my fighter continued its flat spin no matter how I positioned the stick.  Occasionally, in the past, it has cut out on me completely... a problem which could only be rectified by a system reboot (which I had to do about 1/2 hour before said incident).  In fact, this problem began to manifest itself just two weeks in to its initial use back in January.  I plan to test out how much control I can sustain without FF using the stick's utility program.  My previous main flight stick too was a Logitech Wingman, and in fact the model down from this one.  It too died a similar fate, though about a year and a half after I got it.  A friend recently fixed the control mechanism, but could not repair the FF systems.

In any case, should this current problem turn out to be fatal, I will have but two options:  wait until I can buy... sorry, afford a new flight stick [got this one at a Cosco for $50 (can.), about $25 less than I've seen for my previous stick which is the model down as I've said], or abandon this campaign.  Now you might say, "You don't need a stick to FRED", but then how could I test my missions?  You might say "Just get a cheap stick and use that", well... I've honed all my FS combat skills into that stick.  I know what every button does without even thinking about it, and I know how to iron out or deal with all its little quirks (until it dies, perminantly).  If I were to fly with a cheap stick, I'd have to learn to fly all over again... I'd be a green pilot again.

I may have the oppertunity to pass by another Cosco in a couple of weeks, but there's not guarantee that they'll have the same stick or any Logitech sticks, or even any sticks what so ever... let alone at such a deflated price.

It's likely that I'll return to playing Railroad Tycoon 2 or Need For Speed: High Stakes... or maybe just downloading from KaZ... sorry, Peep-to-Peer file swapping services (not supposed to say their name out loud).  That's not to say that you won't find me in these forums, giving my occasional 2 cents.

Later... much Later!

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
does nobody still use the keyboard? and buttons on a joystick can be remapped...

AHTW

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I've been using the keyboard for a while now; I still have to find me a joystick port.
*goes to comfort Carl*
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...