Author Topic: environment mapping  (Read 29435 times)

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
How many times do I have to repeat?

"We already have -ambient factor x.x" -  "We already have -ambient factor x.x" -  "We already have -ambient factor x.x" -  "We already have -ambient factor x.x" -  "We already have -ambient factor x.x" -  "We already have -ambient factor x.x" -  :rolleyes:

Try -ambient_factor 75. :)
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
they arn't getting displayed very nearly black in game, unless there on the opposite side of the ship as a light source
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Foxer

• TerraNet @ www.FreeSpace.pl
When I start env_build with Lightspeed's Background#2 mission, I got enviroment maps - cool

... but... when i quit the mission and enter techroom i got Lightspeed's backgrounds on every ship :D.

Look:

In Deimos and Hecate screens enviromental is too shiny and effective, same with Uly. I dont thinks that terran's steel is like a mirror. But it looks very good with Perseus :). Good work with Enviromental maps, but it need to be limited for that 'shiny hecate steel' in example.
Greetings, Foxer / {303}Foxer / FOXeR_mk
TerraNet FreeSpace.PL Forum | Squadron 303

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
It will be. However, turn down that ambient light, it looks tons better with it set to something lower.

Try adding -ambient_factor 75 to your command line :)
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
the thing with it still being there in the tech room was a bug that I thought looked better, so I left it alone.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Unless you do it before you enter a mission, when everything's white.

It's probably be easier just to set it to a black environment map initially, no?
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
That's what it's set at when FS2 loads :)

I would have thought using something like the main hall or some kind of 'Car Showroom Lights' would be good to use in the Tech Room ;)

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
raa are things still whit in the build currently up, I know it was like that innitaly but it should have been fixed by now
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
it's never been that way with me, and i've been using the first env build.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Originally posted by Bobboau
raa are things still whit in the build currently up, I know it was like that innitaly but it should have been fixed by now

I'll check tomorrow. I wasn't aware of an update.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Would it be possible to create a "default background that it uses for the tech room reflections?

perhaps as an addition in the tbl?

so we can give shivans nice red neb reflections, and stuff like that.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
no, this would actualy be extreemly dificult, its one of the few places that generateing a texutre on the fly is easier than loading it from memory (and who ever makes the texture is going to have a bad day)
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
This may seem far-fetched, but why not make a default background POF for use in the techroom, that gets loaded up as soon as the game starts?  Since the POF's are used in ship selection as well now, it could be used for all of the interface.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

actually, I kinda like how the old bg is retained. of course, too bad its there as a huge reminder that ALL FS2 data is loaded regardless of what missions use :blah: :confused:

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
Ok, I'm impressed
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 08:41:54 pm by 1472 »
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
------------------------------------------
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline JR2000Z

Judging from the screenshots it looks wonderful. :yes:

My only concern, as stated before, is how the light will reflect on certain surfaces (asterioids; I always thought that the Shivans and Vasudan ships had more of a rock hull then a metal one...I don't think that anybody knows for sure. :blah: )

If this build is continued, and this issue is concerned, I can only imagine how hard it would be to fix this issue.
:doubt:

But other than that, it looks great - Keep it up! :)
I finally destoryed the Shivan armada and all I got was this lousy T shirt.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I had always invisioned Shivan hulls as beeing mirrorlike (and in space this makes them incredably black, blacker than black) and Vasudan hulls as being metalic like pollished copper, Terran hulls being more like brushed aluminum (though harder than it).
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Originally posted by Gregster2k
actually, I kinda like how the old bg is retained. of course, too bad its there as a huge reminder that ALL FS2 data is loaded regardless of what missions use :blah: :confused:

Actually it's a pure indication that the environment map is stored in memory and then simply overwritten.  One is not generated when you enter the tech room, and so the old one is still sitting there in memory and will be used.  Unless I'm mistaken, FSO only loads the data it uses, some on the fly which results in in-game slowdown.  Unless that has been fixed, of course.

With your comments Bob, I agree almost completely.  Though I always thought the black on shivan ships should be pure matte, not mirrorlike.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
mirrorlike like frozen death. :)

the cube map is 6 512^2 textures there in memory all the time weather you nead them or not (becase it would be a waist of time to clear it as it is going to be used in every mission), if it's there why not leave it and let people look at it in the tech room.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3