No
2 (2.3%)
Maybe so
12 (14%)
Huh?
3 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Voting closed: April 12, 2004, 05:12:47 am

Author Topic: New Subspace Tunnel Model?  (Read 44037 times)

New Subspace Tunnel Model?
Funky...

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
i made some hi-res subspace maps, if anyone can give me somewhere to put them, i'll e-mail them to you.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Nice. I'm really interested.

Bad thing bout mik's model, though :(
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Hmmmmmmm... Well, there no reason the model even has to be that shape as far as I can see. You could make a cylinder round the outside, which is stationary, and put any shape you like inside it, as long as it can rotate within the cylinder? You would at the very least get an interesting cyclone effect ;)

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
But as its transparent you can see the outer edges and other bad stuff as you can see on Raa's screenie.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Hmmmmmmmm... I thought that was just intersecting polys between the inner and outer models, If you made the outer object big enough to encompass the inner model and it's rotation area, I'm actually not sure what it would look like.
If I can be bothered tomorrow I'll make it and take a look :D

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
It doesn't matter what size the model is, the game resizes it. The actual pof size is 25x25x334. That's not big enough for how it's used anyway.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Carl

• Render artist
Originally posted by Carl
i made some hi-res subspace maps, if anyone can give me somewhere to put them, i'll e-mail them to you.

...any takers?

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
Doesn't jdtcagle usually volunteer to host these sorts of things?

And if not, can you put it on swooh? :p
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline Carl

• Render artist
don't have the patience to register at swooh, wait for a response ect. i'll wait for jdtcagle or anyone else.

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Actually, I kinda like the way it looks, but I can see why its most people wouldn't.

Ah well.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!

I won't be able to post 'em, but can you e-mail them to me anyway? I'm interested to see how it looks. E-mail addy is in profile.. would post it, but I'm paranoid about it getting all over the net and sending me pr0n.. :shaking:
Thanks, Carl. :nod:
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Carl

• Render artist
Originally posted by Ulala
E-mail addy is in profile..

no it isn't.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Carl? My 3dap.com account. :)

As for the transparency of the model... doesn't the way the game always positions the model around the player's POV mean that we could actually trim away everything on the POF except for what we have direct line-of-sight on, and the player would never see the difference? So basically it'd SEEM like the tunnel twists and turns beyond our vision, but since the player can never reposition his POV relative to the tunnel model, he'll never be able to actually see "around the corner" to know that the model actually ends right where his LOS on it does.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Good call sandwich.  That would actually work perfectly, provided you get a good approximation of the edges of the visable model.  I'd suggest doubling the number of sides around the diameter too, but that's a minor thing.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Carl

• Render artist
Originally posted by Sandwich
Carl? My 3dap.com account. :)

post email address. i e-mail to you it.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I'm not gonna post my email for all the world to spam. Extrapolate from my username and the 3dap.com part - that's it. :)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Or send it to ed.xmg@10deepsthgil (if you read it the wrong way round)

:D

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!

no it isn't.

Ehhh.... that's odd. My bad. :nervous: :blah:
I am a revolutionary.

Originally posted by Rah Tor'h
Ok. Alot of talk, with little results.

I made the polies alot less visible, but without new maps, it's doomed to look Horrid.

That one doesn't look bad itself.  Definitely more to subspace than in the original Freespace 1 model.

Originally posted by Liberator
It's really a good use of irony, subspace seems slower, when in fact it is a million times faster that anything in normal space.

BTW, a tactical jump, as seen in Inferno, should be near-instantaneous.  Given the nature of subspace.

Yes indeed.  Did anyone ever play that old campaign Boomerang?  During the second mission they had a ship jump out and jump back in again without that funny character trick.  

Originally posted by Rah Tor'h
Bad news all. Mik's subspace is a no go. Heres why:

First, you have to know how the subspace system works; 2 pof files are used, subspace_big and subspace_small. Subspace_big is the light blue one that rotates on the outside. While both models' textures are 'pulled' along the z-axis in game, only subspace_big actually rotates. Also, the textures are transparent, so Mik's mesh makes subspace look like.. well, this:

Is that necessarily bad?  It looks cool in that picture.  I guess you have to see it in motion to see the bad stuff, no?

Originally posted by mikhael

Actually, I kinda like the way it looks, but I can see why its most people wouldn't.

Ah well.

It looks sort of cool really.