Author Topic: Post-processing  (Read 60159 times)

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I got some issues to report... I was just testing this on a regular test mission I got and it seems that motion blur is always active, and some of the ships seem to get a weird texture problem on the radar window, here's a pic of that weird radar window problem:

Here are my specs:
C:\Games\FreeSpace2\FS2_PP_R.exe -mod testing,mediavps -spec -glow -env -mipmap -nomotiondebris -noscalevid -missile_lighting -normal -3dshockwave -post_process -cache_bitmaps -dualscanlines -targetinfo -orbradar -rearm_timer -ballistic_gauge -ship_choice_3d -weapon_choice_3d -3dwarp -warp_flash -snd_preload  -ambient_factor 50 -spec_exp 11 -spec_point .6 -spec_static 1 -spec_tube .5 -ogl_spec 82 -fov .88

attached the mission file if you want it to test

the problem with the textures does not happen when the post processing option is deactivated in this very same build.

[attachment deleted by Tolwyn]
el hombre vicio...

Offline Kiloku

• Buzzbuzz!
    • Minecraft
How do I install it? I download the package, but don't know what to do with it..
Potato!

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Wow all those overdone effect pics in pecenipicek's post on page 5 make even the simplest explosions and jumps look like a repeat of the Capellan supernova explosion... COOL!!!! :lol:
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I'd like to point out that applying bloom to the background makes it looks weird.

A solution in other games that use bloom is to use another channel (e.g. the alpha channel, if it's available) to store how much "extra" brightness stuff has... backgrounds would have no extra brightness, and glowy things (e.g. engines, or lasers, etc.) would have an alpha channel to control that...

But that might not be so easily doable in FS2.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
actually, there is an alternative... screw the texture channels. yes, it gives much more control over the effects. do you really need that actual control or would a simple table based number suffice? (a float of course)
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Hmmm, bloom and motion blur together appear to kill my framerate :(
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Kiloku

• Buzzbuzz!
    • Minecraft
Pleeease, someone teach me how to use it :P
Potato!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Does this not cover it? :confused:

Hi,
I thought it would be nice if fs2_open supported post-processing...

Full pack (patch, builds, demo mission, shaders)
Original pack (with some bugs): Full pack

Almost everything (but HUD and some other things) is rendered to a texture (using Frame Buffer Object) and then drawn using shaders pair "post-*.sdr". This enables huge number of new effects to use in fs2_open, I've implemented the simplest ones: (de)saturation, contrast, distort noise. Additionally, now it would be easy to implement full frame motion blur.

In order to customize post-processing effects I added three new sexps: set-saturation (0% - 100%), set-contrast (from -100% to +100%), set-distort-noise (0 - 100).

I believe this patch can be improved in the area of code reusability - I'm still not very familiar with all source code and fs2_open internal architecture doesn't help. Any feedback will be appreciated.

Post-procesing requires glsl and fbo enabled and flag -post_process set.

Example Screenshots:
Saturation: 0%
Saturation: 0%, Distort Noise: 50
Saturation: 100%, Distort Noise: 50

Demo mission after 5 seconds sets saturation to 0, then after next 10 seconds sets distort noise to 50, then after 15 seconds sets saturation back to 100% and finally after 10 seconds sets contrast to +25%.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Kiloku

• Buzzbuzz!
    • Minecraft
no.. I download the pack, but don't know what to do with it
Potato!

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
Now all we need is a pixel shader for the warpout so the clipping isn't as bad.
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
no.. I download the pack, but don't know what to do with it

here's what you need to do.

place the exe's on the root directory of FS, rename them as you like.

place the .patch on the FS root directory as well.

Create a MOD folder, name the mod folder whatever you like, add a mod.ini with all the fuzz you want (with this I mean add the mediavps and anything else you want to use the mod ini) then create the data/effects and data/missions folders in the mod one.
Now place the .sdr files on the effects folder, then place the mission on the mission folder.

Run the Launcher, select the exe, activate the post-processing option in the graphics tab, and you should be ready to go.

Note that the post processing effects are activated from SEXP's so you need a custom made mission to activate-deactivate them, pecenipicek's mission works just fine.
el hombre vicio...

I'd like to point out that applying bloom to the background makes it looks weird.

A solution in other games that use bloom is to use another channel (e.g. the alpha channel, if it's available) to store how much "extra" brightness stuff has... backgrounds would have no extra brightness, and glowy things (e.g. engines, or lasers, etc.) would have an alpha channel to control that...

But that might not be so easily doable in FS2.
I'm affraid taht alpha channel's are generally already busy.
But you are right, i ve test it with a custom planet (a blue planet and it looks quite strange) but the same effectg applyed to sun and nebula looks good imo
$Formula: ( every-time
   ( has-time-elapsed "0" )
   ( Do-Nothing
   )
   ( send-message
      "#Dalek"
      "High"
      "Pro-crasti-nate"
   )
   )
)
+Name: Procratination