Author Topic: FSF: Programers Unite: FreeSpace FOREVER  (Read 40879 times)

Offline wEvil

• The Other Good Renderer
    • http://www.andymelville.net
Programers Unite: FreeSpace FOREVER
Ill see if theres' anything in the MAX SDK on it.

got an email addy I can send it to?  I think you already did take a look at it once, not sure.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
i don't grok, let along understand the 3DS Max format.. so you'll really need someone else to write teh conversion stuff - but you can get the plugin SDK for PCS from my site [btw: i'm not going to have to change PCS to make it work on linux.. i have it working in Wine]
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Inquisitor

Ok, I am going to try and free up sometime to look at the new crystal space, just to see what it's got.

Has anyone looked at any of the engines?
No signature.

Offline Thorn

• Drunk on the east coast.
  • What is this? I don't even...
If you need any renders, animations, etc, dont hesitate to ask...
By the time you would need them, I'll probably have a ton of free time....

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
i looked at it... may be useful for reference material
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Inquisitor

It was utter crap to work with a year ago. So, if it's even useful reference, that means it has improved.
No signature.

Won't there be a lot of copyright issues? The only way you could avoid them is by not referring to any of the material in FS1 or FS2, ie. no Shivans, no Vasudans, no Bosch, no Sathanas Juggernauts, etc. I guess there is a second option, do it anyway, but since you all seem to post your personal information here, it shouldn't be difficult for the lawyers to track you down.
My one and only mission (took me a year to complete): Laying Down of Arms
Mission description: Alpha wing aids in the boarding and capturing of three surrendering NTF warships.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Executor
Won't there be a lot of copyright issues? The only way you could avoid them is by not referring to any of the material in FS1 or FS2, ie. no Shivans, no Vasudans, no Bosch, no Sathanas Juggernauts, etc. I guess there is a second option, do it anyway, but since you all seem to post your personal information here, it shouldn't be difficult for the lawyers to track you down.

hmm, before you get flamed, I suggest you read the thread again :p
SCREW CANON!

Offline Kamikaze

• A Complacent Wind
    • http://www.nodewar.com
Originally posted by Executor

Sure, the lawyers are all going to invade us, every few hundred of us... not there are that many people working on this.  :nod:
We're going to have to use AOL now! :rolleyes:
Lawyers aren't paid that much, methinks....
Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation . . .Learn from science that you must doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. - Richard Feynman

Offline diamondgeezer

I go away for twelve days, and all... this... happens... I'm actually sobbing into my keyboard (it's starting to fizz somewhat).

Dunno what you'll be using for mission editing, but count me in.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Everyone who is in, I send you to this thread, since you seem to be blind enough yourself to see it fOOz (and I don't think Mr.T says it that way, but I don't really care ;):D)

(j/k, everything except the thread...):D

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
Kaz: As I've BEEN SAYING, I've got compatibility with half the model file types on the planet, and I'm willing to share.

However, if you've got some kind of problem with warez, I'll just tell you that 3DS is the closest thing to an industry standard, and that there's not a whole lot to, er, 'grok' (which, if I remember correctly, generally involved eating the thing in the original usage:D). It's quite similar to most model file types in the way it stores an object's vertex coordinates and texture mapping- which is probably why it's the standard.

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
Originally posted by Kazan
pessimism gets us nowhere

Volition doesn't care if we use their file formats, as long as credit is given

intergay is almost non-existant, and why would they bother - the game was released in 1999, it's 2002 - as far as they're concerned the game is dead

This game has become Abondonware

i don't think it's that, it's either that interplay have thier own probs right now (bioware and black isle are giving them grief wahoo! :D), or they can't even afford to sue a blowfly for crawling up the wall or something.

i suppose i'd better learn GMAX then :D
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Zeronet

• Hanger Man
Where can i download that? I must stop using TS5 to model.
Got Ether?

Offline Inquisitor

Watch any mention of warez, please.

GMAX is at Discreet.com if ,my memory hasn't failed.

Probaly also on fileplanet.

Licensing with GMAX is funny though, it's worth looking at, but producing game content is difficult at best.
No signature.

Offline Zeronet

• Hanger Man
But GMAX is free...so how can it be warez?!
Got Ether?

Offline Inquisitor

Not talking about GMAX ;)

Not important. move on ;)
No signature.

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
Inquisitor: I guessed as much, but that's it, just checking. ;)

However, like I said, there are things in freeware, if one is going to look. I've given up on listing them, since people seem to ignore my posts when they actually say anything worth reading, but they are worth looking at, particularly the open-source ones.

Offline Inquisitor

Lemme find some links :)
No signature.

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
[ignores]

Nope, I'm sulking.