Author Topic: FSF: Programers Unite: FreeSpace FOREVER  (Read 40304 times)

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Programers Unite: FreeSpace FOREVER
I'd say something about all this file format thing, but I won't. I'll keep it to myself, and use it to take over the world when the time comes...

:D
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline wEvil

• The Other Good Renderer
    • http://www.andymelville.net
.XSI is superior to GMAX is many, many ways.

and as i posted above, its also way more open source than gmax

and as for supported features, no friggen competition.

just check it out, thats all i'm asking anyone to do at this stage.

Offline Ryx

• Twilight Falling
  • Away in RL land. Back later.
Originally posted by wEvil
.XSI is superior to GMAX is many, many ways.

and as i posted above, its also way more open source than gmax

and as for supported features, no friggen competition.

just check it out, thats all i'm asking anyone to do at this stage.

How do I convert .MAX/.3DS to .XSI, without using 3DE?
Intel C2D E6850|4Gb RAM|Abit IP35 PRO|ATI X1900 XT

Offline Kamikaze

• A Complacent Wind
    • http://www.nodewar.com
Okay details: GMAX has import scripts for DXF and 3DS (and quake files and such) but I don't think export is possible also I think you need a license to have your game support the GMAX format....
Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation . . .Learn from science that you must doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. - Richard Feynman

Offline wEvil

• The Other Good Renderer
    • http://www.andymelville.net
Originally posted by Ryx

How do I convert .MAX/.3DS to .XSI, without using 3DE?

Deep Exploration

softimage have released a plugin for 3dsmax that exports to .XSI on sourceforge.

Im not sure about other formats...ill post something on highend3d.com , see what they soft guys say.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
I do know some OGL in C++ so I would be willing to help. (if the thing gets off the ground)
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Kazan, I can't program, but I'll help any way I can....

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
if you like to help send me an email with the subject "FreeSpace Forever"

as for using existing code - how about not
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Ryx

• Twilight Falling
  • Away in RL land. Back later.
Originally posted by wEvil

softimage have released a plugin for 3dsmax that exports to .XSI on sourceforge.

Downloading now. :)
Intel C2D E6850|4Gb RAM|Abit IP35 PRO|ATI X1900 XT

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
Downloading now....

for those that can't find it
Gargoyles, Season 1.  Buy it, or DIE! :)

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela
"Because we're in a hurry!" - Professor

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
Kazan, I might be able to help you with animations but I'd have to get my hands on the FS models in .3ds format.
Gargoyles, Season 1.  Buy it, or DIE! :)

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela
"Because we're in a hurry!" - Professor

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan

Offline Inquisitor

At the very least, looking at an existing engines source gives you some idea of the magnitude of the task ;) You're a programmer, at the very least you can criticize it and find ways to do it better.

Lots of stuff goes into an engne, there's the model rendering, the environment rendering. The collision. The the control scheme, the netplay, client server stuff, all the goodies.

Then there's the datafile format of the missions, any scripting support (unless you do it all in code, which means you need a different overall skillset in developers). If it's an existing engine, there may even be a way for level designers to start doing POC's and model builders to start having polycount guidelines,  yada yada yada.

Just look at it, you don't have to use it.

If you're serious, that's my advice. I went from nothing to playable in a commerical engine in very short order. Adding gameplay elements via script is what's killing me and taking time, mostly because I am just doing this for the fun of it, not because I have a design document. And I am just adding things to learn various parts of the engine itself.

Buy versus build ;) Always faster to buy and customize, starting from scratch can be painful. Especially if you go with something open source, you can change everything, including the rendering engine, without having to redo other parts. Difference between a mod and a standalone game :)

Give me 2 weeks and I'll be able to make a better comparison between what's free, what costs a little (like Torque) and what costs 10grand (about to start working on a project that uses Lithtech, disks in the mail, project is funded, engine is liscensed, just waiting for the "go").

I guess I should make a point, get ready for a LONG post ;)

You/we/whatever need a plan.

Gotta start with a scope: How much do you want to do?
Package evaluation: Use an existing engine? Write one from scratch? Hybrid? What gets us a game that we WANT to play in the shortest amount of time? What kind of user supported dev do we want? IS everything in code? Are the levels done in Max? Do we want to write our own editor? Do we want to go with an existing model format? How fast do we want it? How fast do we think we could do it? You get the picture, half of the work is figuring out what the right questions are.

Then you move into some kind of design phase: Now you know what you want to do, and possibly what tools, possibly the timeframe. Now you do technical design and game design. That encompasses alot.  Need to figure out what the game is about, what kind of game play. That "functional design" needs to be mirrored in the technical design, you're already favoring OpenGL, does that limit you in any way? If you have a new model format, what are it's specs? What kind of information does another programmer need to know about it to write an exporter? The level editor, what kind of files does it save, etc? The scripting (if any) support, does that engine need to be developed from scratch? What C++ functions do we want to expose to scripting? How much control do we want to allow the script engine? Netplay? TCP? UDP? Session state of the clients tracked at the client, on the server? Both? Do we have coding guidelines, will comments be handled in the same way throughout. Will someone review the code before comitting it ot a build? Source control? HOW will builds get done? Are there Acceptance criteria for modules? Basically, you take any lists you determined in a scoping excercise and you describe in detail those elements, every element you can think of, writing psuedo code to describe the process if needed. Do flow charts. Mockup GUI in photoshop, POC models in 3ds or whatever, probably concept art for future models

Then, and only then, do you start real coding. Sure, during scope and design, you're probably writing test harnesses and POC's, psuedo code, mockup or even partially functional screens. Now you are in the Development phase. You did all the REALLY hard parts in Design, now you implement it. Code the engine (or modify it). Build the models and levels for testing, and placeholder while the artists go out and do real models, build the guis in layered photoshop so the programmer just has to cut and paste elements, follow the flowcharts. Implementing is the easy part if you've done the homework. You'll probably revisit the design several times. Count on it. Count on it changing some too. Somethings that look great on paper just end up taking 5 times as long as they need to and either need yanked, or redesigned.

Then, Testing. Both ongoing unit testing by individual programmers of there individual modules while coding them, and system testing, where you start stringing modules together. Bug reporting, priority. Fixing. SOme of this can be going on while other parts are still being coded. Say you finish the SP experience you can test that, the model importing and the map making while still working on the net stuff. Eventually, you'll have something you can public alpha, then beta, then....

Release, and expect to need to patch as a whole NEW group of people encounter your code.

I have not missed a deadline in 3 years. That methodology up there is how we deliver multi million dollar software engagements.

Never come into a problem without a possible solution ;)

Resume and references available on request.
No signature.

well i sugest kazaan that you set out a search for programers and moders to undertake this massive project. like u said. another word, which u probrably thought bout, we all might end up welcoming the last of the VBB members and the VW staff who some work here, or comment on these boreds and utilize there skills to assit u in this. we all as a community i think got our own skills and we all would like to help u out (sorta like the LINUX community).;7

Offline Anaz

Ok...I'm still in the learning phase of C++, and am currently playing around with directdraw (read: trying to figure how the hell to use it because M$ 'forgot' directdraw help in the SDK's help). I wish to be of some assistance, but I am still learning. Give me a few months and I might be as 1337 a programmer as Kaz.
Arrr. I'm a pirate.

AotD, DatDB, TVWP, LM. Ph34r.

You WILL go to warpstorm...

Offline Kamikaze

• A Complacent Wind
    • http://www.nodewar.com
Hey, Kazan what I suggest is assemble a management division to keep the programmers in check - like a professional company. It'll help keep deadlines, keep it realistic etc...
Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation . . .Learn from science that you must doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. - Richard Feynman

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
If you need someone to work on the site, I can help with that :D :nod:
-C

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
* thinks of just how many times such things were started... *
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
A few, I'd say.  But this should be interesting to see.

As for the model format thing, I know what I favor. :D

Dammit, are you ever on ICQ any more?  I gotta talk to you....
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Darkage

• CRAZY RENDER RABBIT
I could help ya whit the cinametics and interface art....
[email protected]
Returned from the dead.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
If this is going to be something serious, then I'll offer any help with main story arc, concepts, etc. for a main FS-expansion campaign done with this engine.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock