Author Topic: I need little help, so you can have little fun.  (Read 2629 times)

Offline mr.WHO

I need little help, so you can have little fun.
Because there is not much traffic since last trailer I decided myself
to create small mini campain(3 missions) for Inferno called "Antares Retreat". One mission is ready and it's my first full scale mission so I want to know is it good or **** but I don't have my own website( I'm planning to do it soon). That's why I need you. Can I send it to somebody so It can be put to download?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2004, 03:31:32 pm by 1471 »

Offline Zarax

Try asking karajorma, he should be able to point you to someone or some place
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline mr.WHO

http://swooh.com/peon/karajorma/Downloads/Retreat.zip
Mission is now ready to download, any suggestions and bug reports?
It was created at FRED_inf build

Offline mr.WHO

Whoops, I forgor to turn off god mode for Alpha wing. This mission was tested on easy. Remember that is only a beta mission.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Well since I've already got a copy of this in the correct directory and all I might as well give it a try :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline mr.WHO

OK, today status:
mission 1:90%
mission 2:45%
mission 3:10%
Everything should be ready at wednesday.

I hope that inferno crew isn't angry that I'm spaming your forum with my little project.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
If they are they should take a leaf out of the TBP people who actively encourage it :D

Anyway I played the mission. A full write up is on the way. You want me to post it here or e-mail it to you or what?

Offline mr.WHO

Post here, anyway I just finished testing mission 2, first one looks pathetic If you will see second one.
mission 2: 75%.
tomorow I'll start the third one, and at monday I'll bring it all together.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2004, 05:35:59 pm by 1471 »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Okay. I've got a few comments but overall I had fun playing the missions so take them as points to consider to improve the mission.

1. I nearly wept when the Kane came through the node. I'd already been playing for 21 minutes and now I've got to fight some more? :p
 I can't say what the final time for the mission is cause I got killed soon after that and didn't have the heart to play for 20 minutes just to get to that point again.  Anyway it's a bit too long for a mission. Try trimming the number of ships down to two convoys or get rid of the attack on the Kane and trim it down to 3.

2. New waves of enemy fighters appear the second the last one of the proceeding wave are destroyed. This is bad cause it makes it look like they are waiting in line to be destroyed. Add a delay to when the next wave comes in to make things somewhat more believable.

3. There tends to be fairly large gaps in between the end of the waves of enemy fighters and bombers and the freighters disappering through the node. This wouldn't be so bad if there was some radio chatter during this time but as it is, aside from rearming there's not much else to do with the time.

4. Protecting the Freighters is listed as a secondary goal but the debriefing makes them out to be much more important than that. If you need to protect all four to succeed in the mission (or any particular one for that matter) it needs to be a primary directive so the player realises what is going on.

5. The command briefing and mission briefing both need to be more detailed. This is the intro to the campaign but after the CB I still wasn't that certain which side I was even flying for. Inferno was told from the GTVA viewpoint. Since you're switching sides you need to explain that to the users.
 The mission briefing doesn't give me much of a clue as to what I'm supposed to do. It certainly doesn't make clear the importance of the freighters. That woud be forgivable as you trying to show a sense of urgency if you then used comm chatter to give the player more detailed orders once the mission had started.

6. Speaking of radio chatter, you've got a lot of it but it's very impersonal. Vary it a little more

Okay that's the artistic ones dealt with. Time for the techincal ones.

7. The text for the message 2nd Depart is actually . I think you forgot something :)

8. The debriefings don't include one for if you decicde to jump out before the mission ends. You're also missing ones for if certain ships get killed. Never assume the player isn't incompetent enough to lose a friendly ship regardless of how unlikely you may think it is.  :)

9. The debriefings you do have could stand to be a little longer :)

10. More of a personal preferance this one but I'd prefer to see another wing called Delta, Episilon or another letter rather than a second wave of Gamma.

11. Common newbie mistake. No use of the Y axis. Enemy forces would arrive above or below the plane. It's okay to have all the forces of one side arranged on one plane depending on the circumstances but there is no reason why the enemy would conform to it when they could gain an advantage from coming in at an angle.

Anyway despite all the moaning I did enjoy playing the mission. It was actually pretty well balanced (tough but possible) and would be quite playable if it was a little shorter.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2004, 06:08:28 pm by 340 »

Offline mr.WHO

1) fixed, whole mission is now18 min. I'll try to zip to 15 min.
2)fixed
3) 25% fixed (cargo depot is now closer to node, and there will be some radio chatter)
4,5,6,8,9) will be fixed
7)fixed
11)fixed
« Last Edit: August 29, 2004, 09:42:42 am by 1471 »

Offline mr.WHO

Whole campaign is ready, I'm only waiting for Karajorma to put it to download (it may be be tested before relase).