Author Topic: Windows installer?  (Read 2203 times)

Following a link I found online, I get a .jar link which I recognize as Linux. The Freespace Open installer for Windows link, which I searched and believe I've found from the install instructions, goes to a 404 page. Help please?  :confused:

How do you get the jar file to work in Windows?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
You need to install Java from Oracle first.  Once that's done you should be able to double click on the jar file and it'll run like a normal program (if everything works correctly)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The Freespace Open installer for Windows link, which I searched and believe I've found from the install instructions, goes to a 404 page.

Which link is this, and where did you find it?

You need to install Java from Oracle first.  Once that's done you should be able to double click on the jar file and it'll run like a normal program (if everything works correctly)

The Installer requires Java 1.5 or newer to run. If you don't have it, then it won't work.

The current version is 1.8. Download it from here:

Direct: http://sdlc-esd.sun.com/ESD6/JSCDL/jdk/8u40-b26/jxpiinstall.exe?GroupName=JSC&FilePath=/ESD6/JSCDL/jdk/8u40-b26/jxpiinstall.exe&BHost=javadl.sun.com&File=jxpiinstall.exe&AuthParam=1428568261_ea0fe83b1e5dafd867fc2411d6e7330b&ext=.exe

Indirect: http://javadl.sun.com/webapps/download/AutoDL?BundleId=104799

When you install it, make VERY certain that you avoid any piggyback garbage. For example: when I ran the installer, it wanted me to install something related to Ask.com and it wanted me to set Ask.com as my default search engine. I unchecked these and continued with the installation. So, keep your eyes open.
Why do you say "as" instead of "because"?