Author Topic: The Blue Planet Oracle (full BP2/3 spoilers within!)  (Read 141139 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: The Blue Planet Oracle (full BP2/3 spoilers within!)
I hate killing Xinny and Zero :(
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

The only good Tev is a dead Tev. I'm from Earth and I say kill 'em all (in a way that aligns with our Ubuntu principles, praise the Elders).

Offline Homura

Is it known which Admirals are the High Command?

Who did think of Morpheus?

Steele is just the commanding officer of the invasion, its not that he is the leader of the Tev's right? So who is at the Top?

Is it known which Admirals are the High Command?

Who did think of Morpheus?

Steele is just the commanding officer of the invasion, its not that he is the leader of the Tev's right? So who is at the Top?

Secretary-General Torqueville I think is the name.

However, I think at the end of Tenebra, the Fedayeen mention that Steele has been given unprecedented authority to prosecute the war, even able to dictate things to the civilian government. So maybe, at the end of Tenebra, Steele could be considered the leader of the GTVA?

The only good Tev is a dead Tev. I'm from Earth and I say kill 'em all (in a way that aligns with our Ubuntu principles, praise the Elders).

Dammit, Kassim...

I could get behind the Alpha 1 is Al'Fadil theory. I've also heard speculation that FS1's Alpha 1 might be Kovacs - "at least they didn't ask me to fly into the [enemy flagship with massive forward beams that is extremely hard to kill] 's hangar" and all.

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
Another few questions, if I may -

As I understand it, in the BP universe, cognition/conciousness at its highest level is just computation?

So the Vishnan-Shivan-Brahman circle is just a bunch of computations from a universe that favors cognitive diversity?

But our minds are so small that we can't comprehend such "big numbers" so we view the Vishnans/Shivans etc. as metaphysical or godlike?

Got some questions if it's not too late:

• Why is UEF so different in terms of tech and tech naming? I would assume they would have continued with the Apollo and made more old boxy f and such.
  • As this is Vietnam in space, have you considered low tech efficient solutions could work. I feel that the UEF should have a more duct-tape vs 3d printer approach to their fighters.

Thanks for making such a great game btw. It helped me during hard times. ;)

Offline QuakeIV

• test
I don't think any of the governments (UEF GTVA etc) officially view them as metaphysical, but both exist to try to serve that function.

I think the general idea is its technically possible to get rid of either group, its just firmly in the 'never gunna happen' category.

Also, the Shivans seem to avoid high order metacognition in order to avoid becoming a great darkness style tumor.  I think thats the idea anyhow.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
  • Why is UEF so different in terms of tech and tech naming? I would assume they would have continued with the Apollo and made more old boxy f and such.
  • As this is Vietnam in space, have you considered low tech efficient solutions could work. I feel that the UEF should have a more duct-tape vs 3d printer approach to their fighters.

The UEF's tech is a consequence of the environment in Sol. Their military planning was based around the assumption that expeditions through the node network are generally a thing of the past; the UEF Navy is essentially designed for peacekeeping ops in Sol and the (assumed low probability) event of a shivan incursion through the node network. Its ships and their armaments are essentially "coastal" (as opposed to the GTVA's "blue water" approach); it is assumed that they're always able to retreat to a safe position for repair and rearm, which is why their weapons are heavily projectile-based and more maintenance-intensive than their GTVA equivalents.
In addition, the UEF hasn't been able to make beam weapons work; the recoverable bits and pieces of the Lucifer they got their hands on weren't enough to make replicating that tech feasible.

As for "Vietnam in space": That analogy is highly misleading. The GTVA aren't the US and the UEF isn't the Vietcong; a more "duct tape" approach wouldn't make sense for an economy like Sol's, which as we've said repeatedly is at least equally as advanced (more advanced in some areas) and as powerful as the GTVA's. The GEF are the people to look at when it comes to duct-taping their ships and using low-tech approaches.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Will we see destruction one of Solaris-class destroyers?  ;7

Will we see destruction one of Solaris-class destroyers?  ;7

s/Solaris-class/TEI/

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yes and very probably yes.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Will there be a dreamscape 10 released free to all?
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

The UEF's tech is a consequence of the environment in Sol. Their military planning was based around the assumption that expeditions through the node network are generally a thing of the past; the UEF Navy is essentially designed for peacekeeping ops in Sol and the (assumed low probability) event of a shivan incursion through the node network. Its ships and their armaments are essentially "coastal" (as opposed to the GTVA's "blue water" approach); it is assumed that they're always able to retreat to a safe position for repair and rearm, which is why their weapons are heavily projectile-based and more maintenance-intensive than their GTVA equivalents.
In addition, the UEF hasn't been able to make beam weapons work; the recoverable bits and pieces of the Lucifer they got their hands on weren't enough to make replicating that tech feasible.

As for "Vietnam in space": That analogy is highly misleading. The GTVA aren't the US and the UEF isn't the Vietcong; a more "duct tape" approach wouldn't make sense for an economy like Sol's, which as we've said repeatedly is at least equally as advanced (more advanced in some areas) and as powerful as the GTVA's. The GEF are the people to look at when it comes to duct-taping their ships and using low-tech approaches.
Would it be fair to say that the GTVA's position is a bit like that of Japan in WW2, where they basically had to win the war in one year or otherwise face a fully mobilized war economy?

Offline Snarks

I don't think there's any real world direct equivalent to the war in Sol. I think a more ept comparison would be something like the United States (GTVA) vs the European Union (UEF). The US has a vastly larger and more advanced military compared to the European Union and much of it is spent on power projection across the globe. By comparison, the EU's militaries are primarily concentrated within their borders, with very limited power projections. Economic-wise, the US and EU are comparable in GDP, reflective of the GTVA and UEF. If given time to prep for a war, the EU could certainly match the military power of the US. But if the US invades immediately, then the EU won't have a chance to mobilize.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 02:29:29 am by Snarks »

I don't think there's any real world direct equivalent to the war in Sol. I think a more ept comparison would be something like the United States (GTVA) vs the European Union (UEF). The US has a vastly larger and more advanced military compared to the European Union and much of it is spent on power projection across the globe. By comparison, the EU's militaries are primarily concentrated within their borders, with very limited power projections. Economic-wise, the US and EU are comparable in GDP, reflective of the GTVA and UEF. If given time to prep for a war, the EU could certainly match the military power of the US. But if the US invades immediately, then the EU won't have a chance to mobilize.

I second this. That's probably the best real-world analog there is, with the attendant political dimension that both the EU and the US have a long history of cooperation. A war between them would certainly be hard to stomach for both sides given that shared history, which is similar to the GTA experience uniting the UEF and Tevs.

Going back to the Japan-US comparison, I think the problem is that Severanti was obsessed with crippling military infrastructure before Steele arrived, and it's hard to use your shipyards when they're constantly being bombed. Th UEF has very little strategic depth to take advantage of their economic potential, and they seem to be utilizing most of it for Shambhala.

In other news: "The Vishna...er, Oracles have stopped speaking to us! They're angry at us, Laporte..."

What's the 'how' by which the Nagari process plays with the human brain? I never saw much about how it stimulates the human brain aside from 'Quantum particles LOL'. I recall that a peer-to-peer conversation happens between Bei and Laporte but I can't recall how their brains are communicating.
A story like the previous one never existed...

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Brainskype
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Facebrain

Neurotwitter.
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan