Author Topic: FIREFLY MMORPG!!!  (Read 5982 times)

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Quote from: Wired Article
Now that's shiny.
On that subject; how many Browncoats do we have here at HLP, anyways?

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
First Stargate MMORPG and now this? After WoW's huge success, everyone and their dog wants to make an MMORPG.  :blah:

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
how many people will have firefly-class transports with varieties of "serenity" as its name, i wonder..
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline miskat

I, for one, pray that the loyal fans of the Firefly/Serenity series/movie would be mature enough to want to be their OWN characters, not copies of the characters on the series.

Besides that... god I hope this doesn't turn to crap.

And browncoats?  Feh.  Insurgents more like.  Call them what you like, someday they will know their folley.

After we get done punishing them for fighting when they shouldn't.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
You and all purple bellies like you will some day be set free by us. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss our cause.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Personally, I hope to get into league with our old friend Adelei Niska. Tell me, Kal; do you know the writings of Shan Yu?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 04:46:49 am by Mefustae »

Offline Inquisitor

No signature.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Personally, I hope to get into league with our old friend Adelei Niska. Tell me, Kal; do you know the writings of Shan Yu?

Shan Yu the psychotic dictator?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Falcon

I'm going to be a Reaver.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Certainly. You want to meet the real me now?

(Getting sort of back to the topic - I really hope this is pulled off well. Of course I loved the series which helps, but the beauty of it is that all the sides have a certain charm to them... from the psychotic Reavers to the ruffian type Browncoats and the Empire like Alliance).

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
More importantly do we get to find out what was so special about Book?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Read the novelisation of film and you find out a bit more about him.
The needs of my belly, outwiegh the needs of the few.

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
I predict it sucks and makes fans of the series cringe.  :doubt:
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Shade

This excites me and scares me at the same time. I think slightly more scared at the moment, scared that it will be unworthy of the name.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline bizzybody

• Space Viking
    • Fandemonium 2008!
I liked the series, but from the first episode I knew it was doomed. I saw ONE TV advertisement for Firefly a few months before it aired. When nothing from the ad was in 'The Train Job' I was wondering WTF was up with it, then when River showed up, sans box, that's when it hit me that FOX was determined to kill the show. I actually yelped out loud "Dammit! Just like ABC did to Space Rangers!"

If'n you don't remember 'Space Rangers', ABC only ordered six episodes, then only showed four of them in the USA, in the wrong order, with the first episode aired last. Can't recall the day/time it was on, but probably was put in a horrible timeslot for the type of show it was. To add insult to injury, at that time TV Guide had a full time Science Fiction reviewer/critic who was infatuated with Star Trek. "Eff it's no Star Trek eeets crrrap!" pretty much summed up his attitude. He got to rip into Space Rangers months before it aired.

Most TV network executives have never had a clue about what to do with Science Fiction shows. ST:TOS survived three years mainly because it was then a relative novelty, aimed mainly at adults instead of the kiddy fare that came before like Captain Video. ST is well, ST, and fans of it will watch *anything* called Star Trek, no matter how bad it gets. :P

Anything else like Babylon 5 or Firefly or Space Rangers or Space: Above and Beyond, which dares to break away from Trek's episodic nature where nothing ever really changes (the never encountered it before alien technology which could be dangerous in the wrong hands, so let's blow it up!) or has any connection/effect on later episodes, has to fight for survival. Without a 'shepherd' like JMS to put their foot down and kick butt etc, the executives will deliberately do things that will kill the show.

S:AaB seemed to be one ot the least meddled with, but FOX didn't renew it. Space Rangers- see above. Firefly- FOX demanded and got changes in the premiere, then still refused to show it. In response Whedon and Minnear slapped together 'The Train Job' and Minnear changed the episode order to 'front load' character building episodes. (He shouldn't have done that, probably wouldn't if he'd sat back and thought on it rather than reacting with panic.) Sliders- had a good start but the network as usual had no clue and sold it to SciFi. SciFi then proceeded to 'stupidize' it to the point where John Rhys Davies* demanded they either make the science aspects more plausible or kill his character. Rather than make the show better...

Idiots, bunch of IDIOTS!!!!

*Does he remind anyone other than me of the Italian opera singer Placido Domingo? I can see Davies doing a comedy opera skit as 'Placebo Domingo'. ;)
"They were really only teeny little A-bombs, honest!" Dr. Charles Dart

Read the novelisation of film and you find out a bit more about him.

they aren't canon

I liked the series, but from the first episode I knew it was doomed. I saw ONE TV advertisement for Firefly a few months before it aired. When nothing from the ad was in 'The Train Job' I was wondering WTF was up with it, then when River showed up, sans box, that's when it hit me that FOX was determined to kill the show. I actually yelped out loud "Dammit! Just like ABC did to Space Rangers!"

If'n you don't remember 'Space Rangers', ABC only ordered six episodes, then only showed four of them in the USA, in the wrong order, with the first episode aired last. Can't recall the day/time it was on, but probably was put in a horrible timeslot for the type of show it was. To add insult to injury, at that time TV Guide had a full time Science Fiction reviewer/critic who was infatuated with Star Trek. "Eff it's no Star Trek eeets crrrap!" pretty much summed up his attitude. He got to rip into Space Rangers months before it aired.

Most TV network executives have never had a clue about what to do with Science Fiction shows. ST:TOS survived three years mainly because it was then a relative novelty, aimed mainly at adults instead of the kiddy fare that came before like Captain Video. ST is well, ST, and fans of it will watch *anything* called Star Trek, no matter how bad it gets. :P

Anything else like Babylon 5 or Firefly or Space Rangers or Space: Above and Beyond, which dares to break away from Trek's episodic nature where nothing ever really changes (the never encountered it before alien technology which could be dangerous in the wrong hands, so let's blow it up!) or has any connection/effect on later episodes, has to fight for survival. Without a 'shepherd' like JMS to put their foot down and kick butt etc, the executives will deliberately do things that will kill the show.

S:AaB seemed to be one ot the least meddled with, but FOX didn't renew it. Space Rangers- see above. Firefly- FOX demanded and got changes in the premiere, then still refused to show it. In response Whedon and Minnear slapped together 'The Train Job' and Minnear changed the episode order to 'front load' character building episodes. (He shouldn't have done that, probably wouldn't if he'd sat back and thought on it rather than reacting with panic.) Sliders- had a good start but the network as usual had no clue and sold it to SciFi. SciFi then proceeded to 'stupidize' it to the point where John Rhys Davies* demanded they either make the science aspects more plausible or kill his character. Rather than make the show better...

Idiots, bunch of IDIOTS!!!!

*Does he remind anyone other than me of the Italian opera singer Placido Domingo? I can see Davies doing a comedy opera skit as 'Placebo Domingo'. ;)

1. not all trekkies are zealots, I loathe and despise most of voyager, and all of enterprise, I dislike parts of tng, and parts of ds9, overall my favorite was ds9, I was always frustrated with the continuity failures <a problem I'm now having with stargate>

the reason I don't like babylon 5 is it just went knee deep into cliche's and tried to hit as many as it could, it got better after they ditched the first commander, sinclair I wanna say his name was, but not enough for it to be awesome for me

I loved farscape, I wish that PKW had ended in a more satisfactory nature, I loved firefly, I wish thy'd get it going again

not all trekkies are shallow only trek people, many are, many people only think of science fiction as star trek and grimace when they hear asimove and act puzzled when the foundation trilogy is mentioned, or the laws of robotics

and lets be fair, ds9 tried to move away from the episodic nature with the dominion war story arc, people just didn't like it because their shiny starfleet was getting all grimy, but that was some of the better star trek
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 05:56:48 am by Quest_techie »

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
1. not all trekkies are zealots, I loathe and despise most of voyager, and all of enterprise,

Did you watch Seasons 3 and (in particular) 4 of Enterprise?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline bizzybody

• Space Viking
    • Fandemonium 2008!
Doesn't matter how many trekkies/trekkers are zealots, the Trek zealots are who TV network executives think of whenever the subject of science fiction comes along. If a SF show doesn't slip neatly into their ST style mold, their reaction is to see how quickly they can make it tank in the ratings, thereby 'proving' their idea of who SF fans are and what they want to see.
"They were really only teeny little A-bombs, honest!" Dr. Charles Dart

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Isn't it zealot-ish to 'despise'  a TV programme?