Author Topic: Moving lights on a model possible in FS ?  (Read 3503 times)

Offline Jouzin

• Big FS fan...
    • Webpage
Moving lights on a model possible in FS ?
Hello guys.
Is something like this possible to do in the FSO engine ?   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57mAeNWTKZ0
I did this in the past for some other game and I did it via UV offset animation.
But I am not sure this is possible in FSO too.  To have a moving lights on ships.
But from last video I saw 2 days ago by @ShivanSpS   https://youtu.be/woNv-HJ8dN4?t=945   If you look at that Ravana looks like it is possible

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
Re: Moving lights on a model possible in FS ?
This is entirely doable, but maybe not in the way you'd expect.

If I saw this effect in a game I would assume a shader doing something, like the UV scrolling you mention or some other time-driven effect. In FSO you could potentially force in a custom shader to make that possible, but the standard way is to in fact just have an animated glow texture. That gives you a considerable amount of flexibility with the effects you can create, but you have to set up your ship carefully or  you can make for some very memory heavy textures.
Name your damn turrets and sounds! Numbers alone aren't helpful!
"if disco is dead then I am the laser lich"
"...[Warmachine] keeps changing as fast as EatThePath can force the engine to do his dark bidding..."

Offline Jouzin

• Big FS fan...
    • Webpage
This is entirely doable, but maybe not in the way you'd expect.

If I saw this effect in a game I would assume a shader doing something, like the UV scrolling you mention or some other time-driven effect. In FSO you could potentially force in a custom shader to make that possible, but the standard way is to in fact just have an animated glow texture. That gives you a considerable amount of flexibility with the effects you can create, but you have to set up your ship carefully or  you can make for some very memory heavy textures.

Aha thank you for the reply.
Will check the option via that Glow texture animation.

Offline PeterX

• Peter
You may use the EFF animations for moving lights as on Shivan ships  allready have.
If i can´t model any ship then i use "flying trains" :-)

Offline PeterX

• Peter
I forgot to say. Make some textures of your own with different glowing and then put it together in ortder of your wish via EFF scrript.
If i can´t model any ship then i use "flying trains" :-)