Author Topic: FreeSpace at DiGRA  (Read 1602 times)

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
FreeSpace at DiGRA
Hey all,

I haven't been around for a while (finishing up a masters thesis in preparation for more graduate school has a tendency to suck time) but so far all the papers I've submitted to academic conferences have been accepted and one of them I managed to fit a condensed reading of FreeSpace 1 into (basically take a lot of what I've done on YouTube, shred most of it, but keep the main points about the Shivans, early FS1 missions, and tie that into Good Luck and you have that section).

Once we submit the camera ready I'm happy to share the paper with anyone who's interested (since it's at least a little sneak peak of what I'll wind up talking about in too much detail when I get back to having time for YouTube stuff).
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
The end of the quarter was a blur for me so I forgot about this (and also having your apartment downstairs flood then finding out the following week that the whole complex has termites is a bit of a downer) but here's the (probably too long) paper I helped work on with a big 'ol Freespace section which will probably have a fair amount put into the next video I do (whenever I get time, I have thesis deadlines breathing down my neck on top of all this other stuff going on)

https://eis.ucsc.edu/papers/Exploring-How-Changes-in-Game-Systems-Generate-Meaning.pdf
Current Projects:

- Re-learning FRED

The end of the quarter was a blur for me so I forgot about this (and also having your apartment downstairs flood then finding out the following week that the whole complex has termites is a bit of a downer) but here's the (probably too long) paper I helped work on with a big 'ol Freespace section which will probably have a fair amount put into the next video I do (whenever I get time, I have thesis deadlines breathing down my neck on top of all this other stuff going on)

https://eis.ucsc.edu/papers/Exploring-How-Changes-in-Game-Systems-Generate-Meaning.pdf

I'd been meaning to read this and finally had a good amount of time today to do so. A thorough analysis, I liked it. A lot.
Which reminds me, are you still working on more FS videos? Your first 3 were simply outstanding and I've been waiting for the next episodes (specially once we get to FS2). Makes for some wonderful commentary to listen to while I'm working!

That being said, if real life is keeping you busy then obviously focus on that first. Just know that there are those that appreciate your work!

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
Super glad you liked it!

Yes I'm eventually going to get back to the YouTube stuff but I need to finish up my masters thesis this month and have conferences to go to next month, so hopefully I'll be getting back to it in September.

This paper will help me get at least one Freespace video done reasonably easily compared to starting from scratch. My guess is I won't be doing too much after September since the school year is starting back up and I'm doing an MFA (still doing game stuff) for the next two years.
Current Projects:

- Re-learning FRED

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Good thesis, and very interesting.  The bit about the two brothers was particularly creative.  Not sure I would have figured that out myself.