Author Topic: Released EXE fs2_open 3.2  (Read 21160 times)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Hmm...this could be attached to the "Show Damage" TBL tag, too :nod:
-C

Offline redmenace

hey any luck on the turret problem involving turrets only being able to be in one position:up that is.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline wamingo

may I suggest a little "fix" regarding the in-game video (mve?)?

I reinstalled when I heard of this project and replayed the main-campaign from the beginning using the FS2_OPEN, hence I can't see the video's in the techroom (using the original freespace2.exe of course) because they're not added there, only the intro is there.

what I'm trying to say is it would be nice if the entries would be at least added when playing the main campaign with the fs2_open so that you may view them with the original if you so desire...

By the way, what exactly is the reason interplay won't allow (?) the use of the mve player or a "hacked" in mve player?
I know I have a Fallout (another interplay game) mve-hacked player.
Also considering there are much more compressed formats now, I don't really see why one couldn't convince iply to reconsider :)

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Originally posted by wamingo
may I suggest a little "fix" regarding the in-game video (mve?)?

I reinstalled when I heard of this project and replayed the main-campaign from the beginning using the FS2_OPEN, hence I can't see the video's in the techroom (using the original freespace2.exe of course) because they're not added there, only the intro is there.

what I'm trying to say is it would be nice if the entries would be at least added when playing the main campaign with the fs2_open so that you may view them with the original if you so desire...

By the way, what exactly is the reason interplay won't allow (?) the use of the mve player or a "hacked" in mve player?
I know I have a Fallout (another interplay game) mve-hacked player.
Also considering there are much more compressed formats now, I don't really see why one couldn't convince iply to reconsider :)

The MVE format is still thier baby, they still use it in new games. They just want to keep something thats theirs - you can't blame them. Besides, recent developments in the project, we now have cross-format support. If you've got the codec in windows, you can play it in fs2.  (Correct me if I'm wrong RT)
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline wamingo

I suppose but freespace2 is also theirs and they released the source code.

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman

But the main source code isn't used by any of thier other games.

:) I know it'd be nice to get access to the old movies but this way is just as good - we can have good movies for people's mods and leave room for greater expansion.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Whats the current progress on 3.3?
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline RandomTiger

This is an age old debate. Do a search and you'll see what I mean. The mve playing code belongs to interplay and they dont want it compromised because other games make use of it.

If we include code that plays it inside f2s_open we are inviting legal troubles. Even the suggestion of legal action would be more trouble than its worth to the providers of the hosting space and these boards.

Offline Solatar

Yeah, let's just leave MVE alone. MVE coding usually gets people into trouble. We've already lost two major boards (VBB, and in case you haven't heard, F2S in deep **** cause of a scandal)VWatch is practicaly inactive, so let's just keep ourselves out of trouble.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
what did F2S do?
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Solatar

F2S didn't do anything, Hunter got scammed by some national criminal. In other words, they will probably never be back online.

Check it out in this thread.
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,10076.0.html

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Remember the bug reported by myself and also some others in this thread when fs2_open 3.2 came out?  Well, it turns out is was simply a problem with the pilot (for me, at least).

When beta testing Bobboau's latest exe, it turned out that my old pilot that I had carried over was causing crashes, so I had to make a new one.  I thought it might be a good idea to check if this would help with fs2_open, and lo and behold, it did.

I just thought the SCP people would want to know that, and sleep easier as a result. :)
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline Inquisitor

Yes indeed. I will log it as closed unless penguin or phreak tell me otherwise :)

No signature.

Offline RandomTiger

Could it be that you never patched FS2 to 1.2 (or whatever it is).
And pilots arent compatable between the two versions, that would explain a lot.

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Originally posted by RandomTiger
Could it be that you never patched FS2 to 1.2 (or whatever it is).
And pilots arent compatable between the two versions, that would explain a lot.

Eh? Pilots always worked between the two versions for me. Besides, I reinstalled fs2 (w/o update), created pilots, then used the fs2_open release and everything ran fine.  :nod:

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Bobbaou's exe was a debug build, and it produced an error which, when interpreted for me by bob, indicated that the problem was something to do with the pilot having been used to play a mod before.  Because of that, some information stored in it was not compatible with something in his exe.  This was the same pilot file I had tried with fs2_open, with similar crashing results.

It is the mod factor that created the problems.  If a pilot is a mod-virgin, as it were, it can probably switch between builds without any difficulty.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2002, 07:38:54 pm by 448 »
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline RandomTiger

Cool, as long as we know whats going on

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Originally posted by Sesquipedalian
....mod-virgin...

Ooh, this could make a good catchphrase.

Heh, just out of curiosity, might I add a few requests/ideas in this thread?  They're not stuff that everybody might find beneficial, but for those of us with older cards AND dualies...  You might see where I'm going with this.  I wish I could program...

I have other ideas, but I'll wait...

Offline RandomTiger

You might want to start a new thread for that.