Author Topic: A celebration of Freespace  (Read 2657860 times)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Re: A celebration of Freespace
I don't know about you, but I find it hard to get a true sense of scale from inside the cockpit. From in there an Orion doesn't look appreciably larger than a reasonably sized skyscraper. Then you see this...  ;7

To gauge the size of any object without referrence points is nearly impossible, don't ever beat yourself up about it.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Don't you still have a 50-mission campaign to make? ;)

I'm too busy editing Exile. :p

The good news is, that's coming along nicely. The bad news is, an update is still (at least a few) months away because it takes a lot of time to rewrite a story by people who, while very well-intentioned and did come up with a good raw product, still learned English as a second language and miss the deeper nuances or proper grammar. It seems like run-on sentences alone account for maybe 30% of all the editing I'm doing. Reinterpreting idioms and slang turns of phrase account for at least another 30% where I ask myself what the author trying to say because the phrasing is so strange. :banghead: :mad: :hopping:

Just because I'm lazy doesn't mean I'm not busy. :p
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 09:43:46 pm by Su-tehp »
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Yes but when you'll be done with editing Exile tommorrow I wanted to be sure you can work on DatDB ;)

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews

Goddamn, I've been looking for a scale size comparison of Freespace ships forever.

Me too. I couldn't find one so I did it all by myself  :p
Going to do a few others showing The Zods, Shivans and the ships from BP, Inferno, ASW etc.

What I would really love to see is a FS equivalent of this :-) https://youtu.be/w7ZXTX6f230
but that is way beyond my abilities :lol:
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
It's here. It's happening.

People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
mmm smexy brick

I don't know if it's just how used to the old brick I am or what but the new one feels really clean in a lot of the screens compared to the old one even though I can literally see the discolorations and things on the model.
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
mmm smexy brick

I don't know if it's just how used to the old brick I am or what but the new one feels really clean in a lot of the screens compared to the old one even though I can literally see the discolorations and things on the model.
I love the old Orion too, but it was a tile mess :P
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I also like that explosion shockwave in the 6th image.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

I also like that explosion shockwave in the 6th image.

That's the new MVP one, formerly an INF-custom effect.

Offline starlord

Simple question here but any hope of a Carthage refit for BP?

Also, that is a beauty.

Offline Darius

Probably look at doing a carthage when i update the sanctuary.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Simple question here but any hope of a Carthage refit for BP?

Also, that is a beauty.
Actually The E already requested Carthage variant for WiH. I will prepare a reskin.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
mmm smexy brick

I noticed this as well: It took me awhile to figure out, but I think there are two related things going on here. The first is that the old Orion has a noisier look because it had a tonne of texture based contrast and detail in the small plates and plate lines on the tiles. Your eyes see the noise and detail and contrast, and your brain interprets all that subconsciously as dirt and wear.

Also, I think possibly because of the way Nyctaeus does his PBR textures, the paint is quite matte, and the wear is only around the edges and the lines, so it's pretty consistently low reflectivity over the vast majority of the newly larger single panels. As a result of both of these, you're losing "detail"/noise in both the diffuse and the reflectivity/shine over large chunks of the surface, and getting a fairly clean, consistent look as compared to how tiling looked.

I'm not sure that there's much that can be done, it's kind of a consequence of the work that's been done on the Orion model and Nyctaeus' personal style of texturing: there's a similar effect on the Aeolus.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel

I noticed this as well: It took me awhile to figure out, but I think there are two related things going on here. The first is that the old Orion has a noisier look because it had a tonne of texture based contrast and detail in the small plates and plate lines on the tiles. Your eyes see the noise and detail and contrast, and your brain interprets all that subconsciously as dirt and wear.

Also, I think possibly because of the way Nyctaeus does his PBR textures, the paint is quite matte, and the wear is only around the edges and the lines, so it's pretty consistently low reflectivity over the vast majority of the newly larger single panels. As a result of both of these, you're losing "detail"/noise in both the diffuse and the reflectivity/shine over large chunks of the surface, and getting a fairly clean, consistent look as compared to how tiling looked.

I'm not sure that there's much that can be done, it's kind of a consequence of the work that's been done on the Orion model and Nyctaeus' personal style of texturing: there's a similar effect on the Aeolus.

That's a good explanation, thank you. I'm not at all trying to say it looks bad or even that the style change is a problem just that switching over to the flatter, larger panels seemed like it was playing tricks on my brain. And yeah, the original "armor" panels have a ton of texture tiling on them that creates a very-- specific look.
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
I can honestly say that I've never seen a more beautiful flying brick. :D

But are the nameplates still missing from this new Orion? I ask because that screenshot of the Colossus having its own nameplate reminded me of that...
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Orion is the only vanilla model that actually uses nameplates. Both Bobb's and Trashman's Orions inherited the unique nameplate texture - capital01-05. Rest of terran ships acquired dedicated nameplate spots, but all based on transparency textures. Nameplates for Orion and rest of the ships were mutually incompatible, but the Orion used unique, vanilla nameplate.

But this nameplate was old, stretched, blurry and completely impossible to be converted to PBR standard and keep acceptable quality. Of course I could just recreate it from scratch, but hand-editing PBR maps for majority of the community is like a dark magic. And so many fanmade nameplates for Orion exist...

So I made a decision. The only canon, vanilla nameplate... Officially died. NuOrion use transparent nameplate system, which means that all fanmade nameplates have to be redone. Fortunately it's very, very easy and quick. Much easier then preparing nameplate in old system.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Spent the evening turreting the FS1 version.

For those interested, I'll be streaming a full screenshot session this sunday on my twitch, featuring most likely FSPort, STR, BtA and any other campaign I can find that prominently features the Orion. </shameless plug>

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
Will the BtA version have modeled torpedo launchers? Or will it be the same as the FS1 version?
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
BtA will use the FS1 version unless someone has modeled launchers I'm unaware of.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Too many screenies today, so I made an imgur album instead.

https://imgur.com/gallery/TDHxsZ2