Author Topic: Ep. 421 "Daybreak: Part 1" Discussion (SPOILERS)  (Read 11082 times)

Ep. 421 "Daybreak: Part 1" Discussion (SPOILERS)
Well ladies and gentlemen, this is it. The end has begun. I'd say we've become as attached to Galactica as her crew, and I for one am truly sad to see the old girl go. But, it looks like the Old Man plans to send her out in style, the way she deserves. I'm looking forward to the end, because I think it's going to be truly great.

On that note, the one part of the episode that really jumped out at me was Kara's fiddling around with matching the music up to numbers. Music has commonly been described as very mathematical, and I can't help but wonder if she's on to something. So, my theory is this: the music is actually an encryption, and it contains a very important mathematical message, perhaps the equation to life itself.

Not long now until we finally know what the frak is up.

Offline josh_88

Re: Ep. 421 "Daybreak: Part 1" Discussion (SPOILERS)
Firstly I'd like to point out rectangular photos/frames are now canon thanks to roslin's old house haha.

secondly I'm worried about what tonights episode means for the end. Granted its a two hour finale, but it looks as though its going to center mostly on happens with that fight and rescue. Leaving the question of what is the rest of the fleet gonna do/go/etc seemingly pretty unanswered. Although with lee going, roslin dying, and assuming it does truly become a one way trip, that leaves the fracked up quorum in charge because well zarek isn't around anymore. with baltar's people in a majority across the fleet. 

I just have an unnerving, sort of unsatisfying fear that its going to be way open ended.

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Black hole!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
That was a fantastic episode. Some legendary shots in there, and the writing is great whenever Moore pens an episode.

Can't wait for next week. I think we're going to be satisfied.

Offline seaker

My speculation based on observations and intuition. Possible SPOILER.

Didn't Baltar get blown-up with Six on Caprica during the initial attack?  Watch the opening credits.  Six has been in Baltar's head since the beginning and have you noticed how Cylons seem to pair up?  Baltar is the only human who seem comfortable with Cylons. Could he be the oldest Cylon and the reason things are bound to repeat...The old hybrid saying it happened before and it'll happen again...That's why the group humans have split and Baltar's with the separate group.  Maybe Baltar's job is to set up the "program" to begin the process again.  Maybe all humans are really Cylons in a "Matrix" like state.  All programed to trying to meet/discover/uncover information about the Creator.  Most do not know they are Cylons, while the known Cylons are observers and/or control variables for program to try to uncover "perfect" of life...the Creator.  Adama's job is to wipe the slate clean so the program can restart.

Maybe the new series Caprica is really a continuation of BSG.  A prequel/sequel!?  Food for thought.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Except he has a dad and all. Baltar, that is.

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
seaker, your theory is terrible.

I was hoping everyone but baltar's troop would step over to the volunteer side.
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Offline josh_88

I was actually a little disappointed with the volunteer numbers, sure they may die, but what else do they have to live for at this point? I just expected there to be more people.

and seeker, we know who all the cylons are at this point, the 4 we have, and the 5th being daniel/presumably kara's dad. Also Caprica isn't a prequel other then the fact that it is on caprica, and has Bill's dad in it, other then that, pretty unrelated.

edit: cl1nt er frakture being right, that was what I meant with then the kara's dad being the extra "daniel" they talked about.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 11:04:40 pm by josh_88 »

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
^5th is ellen.
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Offline Locutus of Borg

• Who counted those posts?????????????
Maybe the 7 is Zak Adama

that'd be lol worthy
We are the Borg
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own

Resistance is FUTILE

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
He has a dad too. Unless the Adamas have Earth ancestry, it doesn't quiiiiiite work...

Offline Locutus of Borg

I think Baltar would know if he was a Cylon, due to his Cylon detector which did work. I bet the first person he'd test would be himself.

I'd find it hard to believe that he never mentioned it to anyone, including six, for the years they've been the RTF
We are the Borg

Resistance is FUTILE

Offline Narvi

I'm still going with "Starbuck's Dad = 7" theory. It would make the most sense.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Concur.

Offline Locutus of Borg

We are the Borg

Resistance is FUTILE

I may have this part wrong, but I was surprised when Baltar didn't volunteer.  I was expecting something like that to happen after his conversation with Lee.  As it is Baltar just seems kind of flat and unfulfilled.  Although chances are next episode he will volunteer for the mission (if he already didn't) as part of a deal with Lee.  And now that we know what Baltar's father was like, I can understand why he tries so hard to be upper-class.  I really wasn't expecting Baltar to actually give a damn about his father, but it seems like he actually loved the guy.  A great episode for Baltar.

As to Galactica's end, I expect Adama and Roslin will ram Galactica into Cavil's baseship, forcing both of them into the black hole.  I also think they are going to drop a nuke in the colony after they rescue Hera.  But I really do hope they give us an actual ending to BSG, even if it is the usual trite Hollywood happy ending, and don't end the series Sopranos-style.  That would suck.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

I may have this part wrong, but I was surprised when Baltar didn't volunteer.  I was expecting something like that to happen after his conversation with Lee.  As it is Baltar just seems kind of flat and unfulfilled.  Although chances are next episode he will volunteer for the mission (if he already didn't) as part of a deal with Lee. 

While Baltar very well might end up volunteering, I hope he doesn't. It seems so obvious for him to try and redeem himself by volunteering that it comes off as almost cliche. His character has always been self serving and self preserving; why should that change now? Just because Lee had a heart to heart with him? No, Baltar can't volunteer because he needs to be there to be a leader of the RTF once Adama and Roslin go on their suicide mission.

To me it seems that the show has made Baltar less self-centered than at the beginning.  Just look at how he gave up a wonderful evening with Caprica to take care of his dad.  That is obviously pointing to Baltar being less than completely selfish.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
To me it seems that the show has made Baltar less self-centered than at the beginning.  Just look at how he gave up a wonderful evening with Caprica to take care of his dad.  That is obviously pointing to Baltar being less than completely selfish.

And what kind of time loop caused Baltars' character development to affect him before the events of the Miniseries????
What Lee said about Baltar still is true, whatever he did in the past that seemed unselfish he ultimately only did for selfish reasons. It'll be interesting to see how they wrap up his story.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline TESLA

• 1.21 gigawatts!
Galactica for a head on collison into the colony? Both end up in the singularity????

Maybe the Colony is where Kara Thrace ended up. John found her.........

Frak it, soon all will revelaed...

It better! if not im going to hunt down the producers of the show!!

Wonder if we will actually get abit of happiness in this show for once,
kind of feel good factor like when Apollo blew up the Cylon mine followed by the song "Wander My Friends" in season one....
In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced
to talk to God.

There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened.