Author Topic: I'm confused. Just a few simple questions  (Read 5785 times)

Offline IronForge

• You Most Make Estimate!
  • Banned for failing to make a campaign in one month
I'm confused. Just a few simple questions
1-The end of May release, is it a demo or the full game?
2-Is it true there will not be a campaign for this game, and that missions will be released one by one like episodes? That's what I heard. One by one release.
<QUOTE THE FAQ:
As we will be releasing in stages there won't be a demo as such. Instead we will make Release 1 available as soon as it is ready and move on to working on Release 2. Our basic plan is to release several smaller chapters which explore side stories in the BSG universe building up to the final release which will follow the main plot line of the show.>

3-Do I need to watch the entire show before I can play and know everything thats going on --- Rephrase: Does the game start from Season 1 or ...? It is unfortunately not possible for me to get my hands on the series, and I'm too busy to watch it anyway.
4-Will most if not all major scenes in the series be covered? Or is it one moment you're fleeing earth and the next mission you're fighting Scar?
5-Will this be a continuous movement with frequent updates and episodes/campaigns (whichever model you follow) or is it a one off thing ala Babylon 5?

And lastly, the BURNING QUESTION!!!

WILL IT BE VOICE ACTED? BSG aint BSG without voice acting :D
I understand its planned but will it be ready in release one?

Thank you so much for your time, I sure feel like an insignificant fly in here. Been following this for some time, hope its great!! And I really need to learn to fred. If only someone could teach me once this is out... :D
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 05:57:04 am by IronForge »

Offline Locutus of Borg

• Who counted those posts?????????????
Re: I'm confused. Just a few simple questions
Well about one of your questions; I don't think they encountered scar after leaving Earth, maybe you mean the Colonies.

My guess is, all the battles on the show will be covered, but so will the implied ones. The Vipers that go out flying CAP around miners for example; though we don't see it, is probably going to be a good part of this game.

We are the Borg
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own

Resistance is FUTILE

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
1-The end of May release, is it a demo or the full game?

Something in between.

2-Is it true there will not be a campaign for this game, and that missions will be released one by one like episodes? That's what I heard. One by one release.

We're doing an episodic release. That means 4-5 singleplayer missions in Release 1 (and more multiplayer). In some regards that is similar to a demo (Very short, more to come later) but unlike a demo you don't have to wait for the full game, instead you wait a much shorter time for Release 2 which will have a similar number of mission. Each release will add new ships to the ones that came before it so that after a few releases you'll start having a sizeable chunk of the game to play with.

3-Do I need to watch the entire show before I can play and know everything thats going on --- Rephrase: Does the game start from Season 1 or ...? It is unfortunately not possible for me to get my hands on the series, and I'm too busy to watch it anyway.

For Release 1 you only need to have seen the mini-series. Later releases could be set at any time during the show's timeline though.

4-Will most if not all major scenes in the series be covered? Or is it one moment you're fleeing earth and the next mission you're fighting Scar?

We're determined to include all the major battles from the show sooner or later.

5-Will this be a continuous movement with frequent updates and episodes/campaigns (whichever model you follow) or is it a one off thing ala Babylon 5?

Actually TBP had a series of releases leading up to its current state. We're doing something similar but we're aiming for a greater frequency between releases.

WILL IT BE VOICE ACTED? BSG aint BSG without voice acting :D
I understand its planned but will it be ready in release one?

Yes, it will be voice acted.

Thank you so much for your time, I sure feel like an insignificant fly in here. Been following this for some time, hope its great!! And I really need to learn to fred. If only someone could teach me once this is out... :D

We'll be including information on how to FRED missions once we get close to release.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project

http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/FRED
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline IronForge

Thanks for your time, wow!! A dev response!!

Anyway can't wait!! Hope to actually see multiplayer missions set up.

Just out of curiosity what ships are expected in R1, I've not been here long so sorry if it's been posted before, just desperate to try a raptor. thanks,

Also i saw a trailer video/pics that showed panning around the cockit, how is that going to work?

Thanks again

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Go look under 'playable ships' in the developer blog forum.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,61621.0.html

That should also help.

Panning around is done by a feature called Padlock View which is already supported in 3.6.10 builds. If you have it, you can also use Track IR.

Offline Deckard

• DECK-A-R&D
We'll be including information on how to FRED missions once we get close to release.

That's gonna be a good thing :)
-------------------------------
Deckard a.k.a The Silencer

Offline IronForge

great, now that yet more time has passed, can we have a closer ETA?

End of march? Beginning? Mid?  :eek2: :blah:

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Tell you what you want a good estimate start a pool on when it will be released.  When all the devs bet on the same date and time.........   :pimp:
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project

The FRED build released with Diaspora shouldn't be any different from regular FRED builds (ships excluded) so reading a normal FRED tutorial should be enough to get acquainted with the basics. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

When is MAC FRED coming out???

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
That's not going to happen, I'm afraid.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
We need to hire some more Mac and Linux coders first.

Offline Felix 039

• The One True Noob
Hmm I thought a team was working on it?
Turning pros into noobs since 1992.
---
Oh look, there's something down here!

No there isn't...

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Converting FRED to work with MacOS might not be that hard but it is time consuming. No one has the time. Basically you have to rip out all the MFC functions and replace them with something portable across all three platforms. wxWidgets is the most likely one. If it had better integration with MSVC 2008 I might have tried it myself.

Offline Deckard

• DECK-A-R&D

The FRED build released with Diaspora shouldn't be any different from regular FRED builds (ships excluded) so reading a normal FRED tutorial should be enough to get acquainted with the basics. :)

Mobius, man... Are you a Diaspora dev or perhaps... do you have a Ferrari? :P

Nah, seriously; :) I'm just curious on what are the new code chunks the guys will put in the upcoming fred2 build.
-------------------------------
Deckard a.k.a The Silencer

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
As much as I can cram in. :D

Offline Echelon9

Converting FRED to work with MacOS might not be that hard but it is time consuming. No one has the time. Basically you have to rip out all the MFC functions and replace them with something portable across all three platforms. wxWidgets is the most likely one. If it had better integration with MSVC 2008 I might have tried it myself.
It would be a pain, and those with Mac experience have plenty of more pressing things to be working on I'm afraid.