Author Topic: Interesting times...  (Read 9109 times)

Offline Aadarsh

• 2-∞ - User does not compute
Somebody is reading these things.  I was beginning to think I was talking to myself, but no; these messages are being received by person or persons unknown.  I've been getting a number of hits on those orders I uploaded on the 15th, and the traceback shows that the origin is outside the GTI network.

Problem is, that's as far as I can get.  Just when it looks like I can identify the access point, I hit a dead end.  It doesn't make sense.  On the one hand, the access trace shows no encryption whatsoever, not even basic packet encoding.  On the other hand, all the traces I run are only supplying the least significant four bytes of the node addresses.  No matter what I do, I can't find the rest.

I think I'd know if the GTI was on to me, so for the time being I'm going to assume that whoever is receiving this is just really skilled at covering their tracks.  We've had an increase in unauthorized attempts to access the restricted zone recently, and the GTI has come up empty-handed there too.  Maybe they haven't locked down the net as tightly as they thought.

I haven't been able to dig up any dirt recently; we all have our hands full trying to figure out how the hell the Shivans can track things through subspace.  Pretty much the only thing I can say at this point is that the GTI doesn't share the same enthusiasm for rooting out the HOL as the GTA does.  I think as far as the GTI is concerned, the Vasudans can fight it out themselves; that way they're kept occupied and divided while the GTA can stay focused on the Shivans.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
:bump:

Well, that's why we're here. :bump:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Yay, something I didn't arrive too late for! :)

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Node address...

Offline Nuclear1

3814.8.7361 seems to be the public node for the Holonet.  I guess he has the the last four numbers (where 7361 is in the public number) for the restricted area.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I was kind of under the impression that the people he was talking about but wasn't able to track down were...us.  We're the ones receiving his messages, although he seemingly can't communicate directly back to us, and we're the ones who keep trying to access those restricted areas of the site that go nowhere at the moment.  It's like we're communicating through some bizarre subspace communications warp that's hooking up the Holonet with our Internets...if that makes any sense. :p

Yay for staying in-character!

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Nope. He's using a long-range comm from Delta Serpentis. :drevil:
My blog

MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Rick James

• Scathed By Admins
Quote from: Aadarsh link=topic=57289.msg1155164#msg1155164 date=-1362354096
Somebody is reading these things.  I was beginning to think I was talking to myself, but no; these messages are being received by person or persons unknown.  I've been getting a number of hits on those orders I uploaded on the 15th, and the traceback shows that the origin is outside the GTI network.

Aww, man. I wish I had a time- and space-transcending internet connection. Or whatever the hell they call the internet in the 24th century.

Boystrous 19 year old temp at work slapped me in the face with an envelope and laughed it off as playful. So I shoved him over a desk and laughed it off as playful. It's on camera so I can plead reasonable force.  Temp is now passive.

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
whatever the hell they call the internet in the 24th century.

Holonet :P

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
WARNING: Long Post, almost entirely hypothetical.

Quote from: Aadarsh link=topic=57289.msg1155164#msg1155164 date=-1362354096

Problem is, that's as far as I can get.  Just when it looks like I can identify the access point, I hit a dead end.  It doesn't make sense.  On the one hand, the access trace shows no encryption whatsoever, not even basic packet encoding.  On the other hand, all the traces I run are only supplying the least significant four bytes of the node addresses.  No matter what I do, I can't find the rest.

He's totally talking about us. IPv4 addresses are 4 bytes (for example, 74.125.19.147 is 0x4A.0x7D.0x13.0x93, and two hex digits represent one byte). The reason he can't find any more is because no more exists.

This means that whatever protocol the Holonet uses, its addresses are at the very least 29 bits (12 + 4 + 13), and if all of the address parts have integer multiple sizes in bytes, this jumps to 40 bits (5 bytes, 2+1+2). Furthermore, if all the address parts are of equal size (a reasonable assumption), this jumps to 48 bits (6 bytes, 2+2+2).

No wonder he thinks we're expert hackers. If you only have the last 4 bytes of 6 for an address, the number of possible origins for that partial address comes to 65536. There's almost no way to pick out a single hacker among 65 thousand people.

--HYPOTHETICAL STUFF BEGINS HERE--

This also reveals a bit more about the Holonet itself. Assuming that Node Addresses on the Holonet are 6 bytes in size, the maximum number of computers connected to the Holonet at any one time (ignoring the possibility of NAT) is 2^48, or 281,474,976,710,656. This places it between IPv4 (4,294,967,296 (2^32)) and IPv6 (340,282,366,920,938,463,463,374,607,431,768,211,456 (2^128)). Assuming that there is at least one computer per person, that all computers are connected to the Holonet, and that NAT is not being used, this puts the maximum number of people in the GTVA at 2^48 as well, roughly 281 trillion.

However, there's no way you'd wait until you filled the address space before making a switch. As of Oct 2008, IANA holds roughly 39 unallocated address blocks (each address block holds 16,777,216 addresses.) This means roughly 15% of the IPv4 address space is being held in reserve. Assuming that 15% is the cut-off before you start switching to another addressing method (such as IPv6), this means that the organization that controls the Holonet Address space should have at least 15% of the address space in reserve, or roughly 42,221,246,506,598 addresses. Assuming a similar percentage of reserved addresses, this means that there are at most 200,025,354,348,265 addresses allocated by the Holonet Address Space Governing Body.

The current population of Earth is roughly 6.7 billion, which means that our population to allocated address space ratio is roughly 2.195177713. This means that for every two people on Earth, there is roughly one address allocated for them. In a more technologically advanced society, this number goes down. If we assume that the GTVA ratio is 1 allocated address per person, this puts the theoretical upper limit of the GTVA population at the time of ST:R somewhere around 200 trillion people.

Of course, this number is nowhere near the actual GTVA population. We know that the Lucifer's bombing of Vasuda Prime killed 4 billion Vasudans. Even assuming that it only killed half of those who lived on Vasuda when the Great War started, that puts the total population of Vasuda Prime during its peak at 8 billion. Assuming this was average for a planet (not the best assumption), The GTVA would still need over twenty five thousand inhabited planets to reach the 200 trillion mark.

In short, this was a fun post to write, but it's not very useful.  :)
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
(regarding Mongoose's gold star)

This is exactly like the Adjutant Reflex thing, another Halo viral marketing ploy.

Adjutant Reflex was supposedly a Forerunner AI which entered the Bungie forums and began posting some random messages on the Halo board which were similar Aandarsh's. It said stuff about how humanity was intriguing and that he was highlighting them as an interesting race. Eventually he got hacked by another Forerunner AI and stopped posting. Apparently, a prominent member of the Bungie forums was then started receiving PMs from Adjutant Reflex.

I see a lot of parallels here between the Adjutant Reflex viral marketing scheme and this thingy. I believe Mongoose may be receiving personal messages from this Aadarsh fellah, which is why he has that gold star, if Goober really is copying Microsoft's viral marketing plans so exactly.

But I doubt it. Mongoose could tell us why he has the gold star and I'm sure it's got something to do with being a good moderator...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 11:53:53 am by Snail »

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Traditionally it's a reward for good work. Maybe he finished something first :drevil:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Trust me, I'd love to be on the inside of this thing looking out...but the star is just for being a good little moderator. :p

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
I wish I moderated a board that actually required moderation. :(

Offline Mura

• Shadow lurker
So... anyone knows if there's something remotely looking like a puzzle this time?

I would like to think so, but it appears to be just a casual post and a bit of him talking about us reading stuff from the long past  :lol:

Signed, me

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
I thought someone said that the next puzzle would be up on the 25th, so I'm not sure. It's interesting, nonetheless.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah, this seems like an in-between post, just Aadarsh letting us know that he sees what we're doing.  The Holonet news feed and Vasudan word of the day keep getting updated, but the latter's archive is still broken...I wonder if that's of any significance.

Offline Mura

• Shadow lurker
Means that holonet webmasters are total nabs /me gets shot down

Probably we are just not ready yet for those areas of the holonet or they simply don't exist  :rolleyes:
Signed, me

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Can Anyone Hear Me? was also a chat post.
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline Nuclear1

Oh, by the way, I think we already have those last 4 digits--look at Aardash's post very carefully.  There's something kind of odd about it.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!