Author Topic: Volition: 'We'd Kill To Make FreeSpace 3' on Nowgamer.com  (Read 28839 times)

Re: Volition: 'We'd Kill To Make FreeSpace 3' on Nowgamer.com
Out of curiousity,

Any idea how much the FS licence would sell for?, or around?, (as an approximation).

Guessing the price is really an anything-goes affair.  Volition won't want to sell the development rights, but THQ might not be bothered with a game whose latest iteration sold 25,000 copies in its first year.  Interplay's recovery scheme seems to be to promise everything and the kitchen sink, so they probably won't want to sell the publishing rights, unless (or until, depending on your estimation of their prospects) they get desperate for cash again.  Each component can feasibly be described as being anywhere from dirt-cheap to not-for-sale.

Beyond the rights to make/publish the game, though, Volition is further saddled by being a subsidiary of THQ.  If THQ doesn't think a FreeSpace sequel is worth the investment, they won't greenlight the project.  Then, the only way for interested parties within Volition to make FS3 would be to spin-off their own studio, at which point they'd have to buy both the development and publishing rights, requiring them to negotiate with competing publishers, which would likely turn into one giant fustercluck.

Now, you'll have to excuse me, while I get extra-cynical:  Why is it that Volition seems to bring this up to the gaming press on an almost annual basis?  Telling us doesn't advance FreeSpace 3 towards being greenlit.  You've got to convince your bosses to make the game, not your diehard fans to want the game (since they likely will, with or without prompting).  I suspect that, while there are elements of Volition that want to make FS3, the ploy here is to make us expect FreeSpace-related easter eggs in totally unrelated games, so that we are more likely to buy those games.  Before you ask, "Why would they do that?" or "What's the likelihood of that actually selling more games?" think about the cost to Volition.  They had to have one person take the time to answer one more question in an interview.  If they sell a single extra copy of Saint's Row or Red Faction to someone who just wanted to scour the game, looking for an office with a computer with a screenshot from FS2 on the monitor, they've covered their costs and made more money that they otherwise would have.  Given that we had a discussion on the Wiki forum last year about whether or not to document all of the links between the Red Faction, Saint's Row, and FreeSpace universes, I'd suggest that this methodology has moved at least a few copies of Volition's non-FreeSpace games.

Oh, and even supposing that the "we would kill," line isn't hyperbolic rhetoric, just because all of the employees are dead doesn't stop a corporation from existing and holding intellectual property.  Parallax still exists in name only to hang onto the development rights to Descent (which rather begs the question as to how Interplay thinks it's going to get Descent 4 made).  Still, an old Roman style arena deathmatch between Volition and Interplay could have some entertainment value.  Since Interplay's outsourced the Fallout MMO to focus on paying their legal department to defend against Bethesda's lawsuits, it'd be interesting to find out who's scrappier in a fight:  a game developer or a lawyer.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Saw these on the interplay forums in this thread:  http://interplay.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13817

Quote from: frymuchan
Does Interplay still own the Freespace IP?  Volition just said that they would "kill" to make a Freespace game.  Seems like Interplay would have good bargaining ability with Volition on this collaborative effort, if Interplay has the rights for it.

Quote from: Fallouts®Chris
Don't quote me, but I think we do.

I passed the link with Volition talking about Freespace to the executives over the weekend.

No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 04:13:30 pm by General Battuta »

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
"Quote from: Fallouts®Chris

Don't quote me"

You, sir, know how to follow instructions.

Also, ttuta, looks like your emoticon link is teh broken.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Can I say FS3 without getting asteroids thrown at me?  Personally I think its been way too long for anybody to even think of FS3, FS and FS2 are good enough, the game engine is obviously good enough to keep it going since you guys on here make mod after mod after mod, and those of us who are good for nothing except playing the game and posting on here are content, happy and totally satisfied with the game the way it is now. SCP works fine on every O/S I have in my house ( win95 up to Vista)
All vista problems can be corrected, by upgrading to XP

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Can I say FS3 without getting asteroids thrown at me?
Yes. Welcome to over a year ago.

Personally I think its been way too long for anybody to even think of FS3, FS and FS2 are good enough, the game engine is obviously good enough to keep it going since you guys on here make mod after mod after mod, and those of us who are good for nothing except playing the game and posting on here are content, happy and totally satisfied with the game the way it is now. SCP works fine on every O/S I have in my house ( win95 up to Vista)
To be honest... the SCP does do good work, but there's a lot that's impossible for them. Due to, from what I have heard, the code being hard to work with, stuff is extremely hard to do and something like an overhaul of the graphics portion is nearly impossible.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Base rendering engine and collision code are the toughest part if I have understood correctly. Also, the fact that FSO will probably never be multithreaded, limits the engine quite a bit.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
To be honest... the SCP does do good work, but there's a lot that's impossible for them. Due to, from what I have heard, the code being hard to work with, stuff is extremely hard to do and something like an overhaul of the graphics portion is nearly impossible.

Nearly Impossible = Read: We're few and far between and we do this in our spare time so while the change is possible, it's nothing like what an actual development studio could kick out in the same amount of time. Frustratingly enough.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Archaic

if volition were really serious about wanting to release FS3, they could lend a hand to HLP in upgrading the engine and "leak" ultra secret "if we get the IP back" story and ship designs to select members of HLP so it could be developed.

just my two cents.

that is, if they didnt want our hard earned cash (though i bet many of us would "donate" 60 bucks if we knew this was going on)

i also have no idea how these things work, so there's probably something im overlooking.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
At the end of FReeSpace 2, they did have plans for FreeSpace 3, but there probably wasn't anything of a story or any ship designs made yet. I do think code support would be awesome, but it'd likely be unlikely.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
At the end of FReeSpace 2, they did have plans for FreeSpace 3, but there probably wasn't anything of a story or any ship designs made yet.

bigger problem, ships the size of planets, ancients involved

I do think code support would be awesome, but it'd likely be unlikely.

I don't understand this sentence

Offline Drogoth

My thoughts exactly. If interplay just sells the rights back to  :v-old: , fine. If they try to **** this up I will be broken on the inside
TC 2 Fan club for Life

Offline dekal

I doubt they'll ever sell those ip rights , Interplay has shown they want to stay alive by any means possible. Before selling it to  :v: they will probably demand absourd amounts of cash (unless IP prizes are determined by something else, I don't know about this) and Volition won't simply go ''Ok, let's do this for the fans'' even if they stated they would kill to make fs3.

If not, they would have done this years ago. I'm afraid we're just being teased here.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
It all comes down to $$$.  If interplay needs fast cash to fund another project they will probably try to sell it outright.  If they think they can make more money working with V or paying V to make it then they will try that (although that would have to go through THQ (or one of those TH companies) who own V which might be a problem). 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Yall........I have an idea, yea its 6am est, but even though I'm out sick from work I had to get up and I thought about this all night and I ever had FS dreams ( I was the BEST) :). But anyway here's just an idea for the game makers at interplay and V, go ahead make FS3, BUT make FS3 an updated FS2, when I say updated, I mean more ships available, like the cap ships to command and stuff like that, but keep the game the same :)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester

Remove likely from it and it will make more sense.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
At the end of FReeSpace 2, they did have plans for FreeSpace 3, but there probably wasn't anything of a story or any ship designs made yet.

I don't understand why it's assumed that the Ancients would be in FS3.  It was made pretty clear that the last of them died sometime after the construction of the vault on Altair 4.  Even if there were enough to start over, I don't imagine that any of them would be a place psychologically for a species restart to occur.  I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the Vault Builders suicided or went quietly into that long night.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
It's assumed because one of the  :v: devs said they would make a return in fs3 when Battuta spoke to him
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

I don't understand why it's assumed that the Ancients would be in FS3.  It was made pretty clear that the last of them died sometime after the construction of the vault on Altair 4.  Even if there were enough to start over, I don't imagine that any of them would be a place psychologically for a species restart to occur.  I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the Vault Builders suicided or went quietly into that long night.

Last time I talked to a V guy he said they had plans for the ancients in FS3. He was a modeler, so it's possible they were just vague notions. We also don't know what kind of role.

Wouldn't the Ancients have been gone before the start of the original FS? if co why bring them back? to me the word Ancient, means that the ones or things spoken of died out many eon's ago, before recorded time. So why make them reappear? keep them mysterious and get little bits and pieces of their knowledge now and then:)