Author Topic: FreeSpace 2: Twilight  (Read 5425 times)

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
FreeSpace 2: Twilight
In lieu of the little fiasco with the trailer, I've been attempting to reach and and have more people give their input on the Twilight forums at FreeSpace Watch.

I hope that the frequenters of HLP will take a shot at deciphering the cryptic clues on the site that could lead way to uncovering the mystery of the campaign's plot and post their thoughts in the various threads on our forum.  

Thanks, and keep up the modding ladies and gents!

------------------
Ace
Staff member FreeSpace Watch
 http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
I've been paying attention and I think I must say it is excellent work. I can't wait for those few *cough* 'problems' *cough* to be sorted out. *nudges Ace*  
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
Well *cough* Kazan *cough* better make a new .vp construction suite that actually lets FS2 recognize the table files, right Kazan?  

------------------
Ace
Ace
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline quid

cool

------------------
Intergalactic arms dealer
and merchant of fine ships
Intergalactic arms dealer
and merchant of fine ships

Offline NeoHunter

• Primo Novus Venator
I saw the trailer. Looks promising and exciting. Will it be out by this May?

------------------
...and one day, Man will journey farther and faster into Space. - My thoughts

GTD Excellence Webmaster
NeoHunter<                      [b][email protected][/b]                                    >

Offline NeoHunter

• Primo Novus Venator
Please refer to this picture first:

Okay. Now, from what I'm seeing, Chiron and Acheron are going to get some pretty nasty asteroid bombardment from the Kabulov asteroid field. That's because they are literally passing through it. Then Acheron's moon, Peracles, will also be passingt through it. Would that make it impossible for it to sustain life? What if a huge asteroid wiped out life on it like an asteroid wiped out the dinosuars?

Possible?

------------------

GTD Excellence Webmaster
NeoHunter<                       [b][email protected][/b]                                     >

[This message has been edited by NeoHunter (edited 04-01-2001).]

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Depends... from the illustration, we have no idea of the size of the asteroids and the asteroid density.

Offline NeoHunter

• Primo Novus Venator
But as long as a planet is passing through an asteroid field, there's bound to be a collision, right?  

------------------

GTD Excellence Webmaster
NeoHunter<                      [b][email protected][/b]                                    >

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions

Originally posted by Setekh:
Depends... from the illustration, we have no idea of the size of the asteroids and the asteroid density.

Offline NeoHunter

• Primo Novus Venator
I read that the first time. Hee

------------------

GTD Excellence Webmaster

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Also depends on the thickness of the atmosphere on the given planet. Thicker atmosphere means more asteroids do nothing but make pretty fireworks.

------------------
Sushi- the OTHER white meat!
Accelerate your game-Velocity Mod

Offline Jabu

• One of our many cases
The planets have been rotating there for millions of years, they're probably nothing but craters these days. Unless it's year is VERY long  

Offline NeoHunter

• Primo Novus Venator
Then I guess Peracles has a very think atmosphere then all else it cannot even support life if ever few 20 years or so a meteor shower occurs and a big one passes through the atmosphere and BANG!

------------------

GTD Excellence Webmaster

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
Actually this has all been thought out, I have the actual specs of the planets posted on the Twilight forum.  

The inclination of Kabulov's belt means that the blunt of the debris is never encountered by any planets within the system.

Acheron's gravational fields also deflect a great deal of Kabulov's belt which is a remnant of a protoplanetary disk which drifts at it's current distance due to a cataclysm with Ikeya's companion early in the system's development. (this cataclysm is why Typheous is the way it is, and why most of the would-be planets soon found themselves shifted to Acheron which relatively is at the lagrange point of the companions, during it's formation at the very least.)

------------------
Ace
Ace
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Jabu

• One of our many cases

Originally posted by Ace:
Acheron's gravational fields also deflect a great deal of Kabulov's belt which is a remnant of a protoplanetary disk which drifts at it's current distance due to a cataclysm with Ikeya's companion early in the system's development. (this cataclysm is why Typheous is the way it is, and why most of the would-be planets soon found themselves shifted to Acheron which relatively is at the lagrange point of the companions, during it's formation at the very least.)
Umm... what?

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions

I understood that, but you could have worded it much better.

Offline NeoHunter

• Primo Novus Venator

The inclination of Kabulov's belt means that the blunt of the debris is never encountered by any planets within the system.

So, what do you mean by "inclination of the Kabulov Belt"? I'm a bit lost here.

And when you mentioned "protoplanetary disk", is it the disk that can be seen when the star is just formed and is surrounded by a disk that later makes up the planets??

Please explain in a more......simpler form. Thanks!  

------------------

GTD Excellence Webmaster

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
Inclination is the degree which the belt is "off center."

Protoplanetary disk is exactly as you said.

Yes, I could have worded in in mono-syllabic words, however I assumed that most people would understand if I actually did use some vocabulary.  

------------------
Ace

[This message has been edited by Ace (edited 04-07-2001).]
Ace
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Inclination is how far off-plane the orbit is. Here's a handy little diagram showing about where the asteroid field is relative to the planets(from what I've read.)

Anyways, this means that the orbits only pass through the asteroid field twice a year, so they are only able to collide with the 'stroids for a short time- so the chances of being struck with a Big One are not good.

[EDIT]Should be fixed now...
------------------
Sushi- the OTHER white meat!
Accelerate your game-Velocity Mod

[This message has been edited by Sushi (edited 04-08-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Sushi (edited 04-09-2001).]

Offline NeoHunter

• Primo Novus Venator
I still see no picture.

------------------

GTD Excellence Webmaster