Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 912792 times)

Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
Try using 3.8.0 or a recent nightly. 3.7.4 is way out of date.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.

This should help us clear it right up.

An update. Got 3.8.0 and now the game starts up perfectly normally, but even though I have mods selected, it just starts in vanilla. Tried the standard EXE as well as a debug EXE, with various mods (Blue Planet, War in Heaven, Aftermath) but the only campaign available is the stock FS2 campaign. Most interesting!

I've also tried using the standard launcher as well as wxlauncher. All wxlauncher does when picking a mod is crash, and not start the game.
Stardust, the Sword of Vengeance[A starship combat addict]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Get us that debug log and we can probably figure it out.

Here it is. Trying to run Blue Planet Age of Aquarius here.

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
For starters, it looks like you're not using the latest version of Blue Planet nor the MediaVPs. All the Blue Planet VPs should be in one folder called bpcomplete, and you should be using the 2014 MediaVPs. Please make sure you followed the instructions in this post.

When you're finished, you should have a folder called bpcomplete, and a folder called MediaVPs_2014 in your Freespace 2 root directory.
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Ah! That seems to have helped, thank you. I still get the odd popup, but I'm not terribly worried about it. It seems to work.... right up until I want to continue past the initial command briefing, for both Age of Aquarius and War in Heaven. At that point, I can't proceed, the CONTINUE button does nothing for me. Logfile attached.

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]

According to that log you're still using mediavps_3612. These are like 10 years out of date and don't work with more recent mods. You need to use mediaVPs_2014.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

I've got the right mediaVPs, I swear. Downloaded them from the thread for them a couple days ago. Also tried putting the mediaVPs in the bpcomplete folder... hasn't helped.

I downloaded Age of Aquarius and War in Heaven from Moddb; is there a more recent download I should be using? I've looked around the internets, but have not found them.

EDIT: putting all the 2014 mediaVPs in the same folder as all the blueplanet data seems to have solved my issue. DURRR

Many thanks for the pointers, all!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 03:21:55 pm by Stardust »

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
MediaVPs most definitely should NOT be in the bpcomplete folder. They like having their own folder in the root FS2 directory all to themselves.

It looks like your mod.ini file in bpcomplete is wrong. Open it up in notepad and replace the text starting with [multimod] with this

Code: [Select]
[multimod]
primarylist  = ;
secondarylist = mediavps_2014;
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Doesn't matter if you have them if your mod.ini isn't set up to actually use them. The log clearly states you're not using them.

The ModDB version is unfortunately pretty out of date at this point, I now see why you're having so many problems. You're actually still using a really old version where AoA and WiH were seperate and you seem to have just put the files in one folder. Use the more recent bpcomplete.

The most recent version is here
The thread should be pinned on this board so it's impossible to miss.

That release thread still links to 3.7.4 but you should be using 3.8.0 anyway.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yeah the ModDB stuff is way out of date (you wouldn't even get the BP2 voice acting!) You can use fsoinstaller.com as well as the thread frikgfeek linked to install the latest version.

Indeed! And the voice acting just completes the experience!

On to the second part now, and everything works fine except for the voice-overs... of which there are none. Not a huge deal, unless you guys'd like to see another logfile?

If you're referring to Tenebra, that isn't voiced yet.

Ah, I've made it past that one and am on to the second, so no big deal.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Wait, what? All the missions up to Sunglare (the cutscene with the Indus at the sun) should be voiced.

Wait, what? All the missions up to Sunglare (the cutscene with the Indus at the sun) should be voiced.

Oh, THOSE! Yes, they are all voiced. I meant the ones AFTER that, in Part 2. Haven't noticed any voice-overs there yet...

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
It's slightly confusing, but the "War in Heaven 2" campaign is actually act 3 (a.k.a. Tenebra).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Right. Act 3 doesn't seem to have any voice-over.