Author Topic: Multiplayer Schedule + How To Get Started in FS2 Multiplayer - Read this first!  (Read 221417 times)

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
I just finished making a list of all the medals, PM me if you want it.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Just post it here. That could come in handy.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Code: [Select]
{=============================================================================}
{File Name-----Mission Name-------------Skill----Medal------------------------}
{CapMis_M01----Exodus-------------------Hard-----Meritorious Unit Commendation}
{Lone_M01------Vega's War---------------Hard-----Meritorious Unit Commendation}
{M_FE----------First Exodus-------------Hard-----Meritorious Unit Commendation}
{cet_m09-------Red & Black Allover------Hard-----Allied Defense Citation------}
{TSBandit_M01--Knife Fight--------------Hard-----Allied Defense Citation------}
{cet_m07-------Checkmate----------------Hard-----Medal of Valor---------------}
{fs2mc1--------FS2 Black Omega----------Medium---Medal of Valor---------------}
{Odd_M01-------Pre-Emptive NTF Strike---Hard-----Medal of Valor---------------}
{cet_m04-------Lurkers at the Gate------Hard-----SOC Unit Crest---------------}
{m_itld--------Into the Lion's Den------Hard-----SOC Unit Crest---------------}
{Talon_M01-----Installation Assault-----Hard-----SOC Unit Crest---------------}
{cet_m02-------Hell's Kitchen-----------Hard-----Nebula Campaign Victory Star-}
{M_07----------Vasudan Assault 2--------Hard-----Distinguished Flying Cross---}
{Guard_M01-----Through the Iron Gate----Hard-----Epsilon Pegasi Liberation----}
{x_cold_sword--The Cold Sword-----------Medium---NTF Campaign Victory Star----}
{cet_m01-------Touch of Fate------------Hard-----Imperial Order of Vasuda-----}
{cet_m06-------The Die is Cast----------Hard-----SOC Service Medallion--------}
{Odd_M03-------Rebel's Bluff------------Hard-----GTVA Legion of Honor---------}
{Odd_M02-------Codename Robin Hood------Hard-----Intelligence Cross-----------}
{m_sb----------Sirius Blockade----------Hard-----Order of Galatea-------------}
{Lone_M02------STV Gauntlet-------------Insane---Wings------------------------}

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
It looks like STV's wings medal is the only one that actually requires the difficulty to be insane. A bit ironic, since that's the crappiest medal in the main campaign. :p

We should be able to get some of those next time, now that we know which missions have them. It's a good idea to check the exact conditions under which the medals are awarded before we start playing.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
STV is actually easier than some of the others (cet_m01/m02), the reason we didn't get it earlier was simply because there weren't enough people.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Those didn't seem all that bad to me either, considering that we went into them without really knowing what to do. I think we can get those medals (particularly the Hell's Kitchen one) if we try them again with more players, at least six or so, and a specific plan of action.

Offline Shade

Definitely. First tries with 3-4 people aren't really something we should expect medals from.

Hell's Kitchen seems all about positioning, need to be in the right place at the right time to disarm and tag the baddies before they can do much damage and you're good to go. I mean, I came across the Ravana by accident - I saw fighter beams going off from the friendly corvettes, all aimed at the same area, and wondered what they were shooting at, so I went and had a look. But even then I nearly managed to tag it before it opened fire, so if one of us had actually been there when it arrived, we'd had plenty of time to kill the front beams.

By the way, I found it really helpful when people who spotted a bomber or priority target (like escape pods) arriving made a quick shout about it. It's easy to get caught up chasing fighters and miss the arrival of more dangerous targets, so it helped me get on the job faster than I otherwise would have. Keep doing that.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 06:13:04 am by Shade »
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
I actually missed a chance to jump on as an observer while I was away on lunch. But it doesn't matter anyway; oddly enough, my ping was rather high at 180 when I did a Speedtest run at the server closest to where I am (~50 mi etc).

2000-3000 down and 200-250 up. =\

Then I pinged a Canadian server... 600+ ping, ouch. =/

If I use the MediaVPs and jump on as an observer, would the stats still be affected and therefore I have to turn them off? Also, are players able to hear observer chatter? :doubt:
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Shade

Something came up, so I won't be on for a while tonight. Have fun :)
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
If I use the MediaVPs and jump on as an observer, would the stats still be affected and therefore I have to turn them off? Also, are players able to hear observer chatter? :doubt:

You don't gain points as an observer, so your stats wouldn't be affected.

And, yes, observers can communicate with players.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Cole, what did you do with the games I put in at the end of August?

I think he's away right now. Just post your times here and I'll add them to the schedule.

Here is the original schedule I wrote up. I don't know if he just ignored it or changed it a lot, though.

------AUGUST-----
20th - 5PM GMT  EUROPE GAME
Host: none
22nd - 10PM GMT NORTH/SOUTH AMERICA GAME
Host: CP5670
23rd - 11AM GMT AUSTRALIA GAME
25th - 11AM GMT AUSTRALIA GAME
9:30PM GMT N/S AMERICA AND EUROPE GAME
28th - 7PM GMT EUROPE
31st - 1AM GMT N/S AMERICA  *NOTE* GMT-7,6,5,4,3,2 causes this game to be on the 30th.

I will not be in town next week (19th to 25th) so if someone wants to do this for the week, post here and then contact that person to have them put you as host.

I was going to be doing this for September too, but it appears that cole thought by "for the week" I really meant "forever". :(
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 03:53:00 pm by thesizzler »

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
When I mentioned stats, I was thinking of everyone in the server though (not just my stats), but thanks either way.

Reason being, whenever I play multi (not sure if MvP obs can actually affect the stats of the actual pilots, but I'm playing safe here :)), I don't care for the points so I play with the MediaVPs on, but the problem is when there's players who want tallied stats and then I have to give way (I'll gladly turn them off though :)).
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Definitely. First tries with 3-4 people aren't really something we should expect medals from.

Hell's Kitchen seems all about positioning, need to be in the right place at the right time to disarm and tag the baddies before they can do much damage and you're good to go. I mean, I came across the Ravana by accident - I saw fighter beams going off from the friendly corvettes, all aimed at the same area, and wondered what they were shooting at, so I went and had a look. But even then I nearly managed to tag it before it opened fire, so if one of us had actually been there when it arrived, we'd had plenty of time to kill the front beams.

By the way, I found it really helpful when people who spotted a bomber or priority target (like escape pods) arriving made a quick shout about it. It's easy to get caught up chasing fighters and miss the arrival of more dangerous targets, so it helped me get on the job faster than I otherwise would have. Keep doing that.

I also found myself getting lost a lot in that mission and just went anywhere I could detect enemy fighters. It's probably a good idea to glance over the ship locations in the editor, so we have a better idea of where everything is. I'll keep sending the warning messages as needed.

Here is the original schedule I wrote up. I don't know if he just ignored it or changed it a lot, though.

Well, that has no new games on it and is outdated now. The basic format we have is the same. Are you planning to host one or something?

I will have time to play in the middle of this week, but we should probably just stick to weekends to get the maximum number of people. I won't be here on Friday and possibly Saturday morning, but will be back in time for the Saturday game. I might start a bit earlier (maybe 9:00 or 9:30) to give us more time to play, although I will hold off updating the schedule just yet as I don't know exactly when I will return home.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 12:08:08 am by CP5670 »

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft

Well, that has no new games on it and is outdated now. The basic format we have is the same. Are you planning to host one or something?

I will have time to play in the middle of this week, but we should probably just stick to weekends to get the maximum number of people. I won't be here on Friday and possibly Saturday morning, but will be back in time for the Saturday game. I might start a bit earlier (maybe 9:00 or 9:30) to give us more time to play, although I will hold off updating the schedule just yet as I don't know exactly when I will return home.

What happened to the 28th and 31st? Or are you canceling them because you can't get hosts/not on weekend?

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Not sure what you're talking about. We never had games scheduled on those days, although I can certainly add them to the calendar if people are interested.

I can come/host on the 28th if several people are going to be around, but so far our experience has generally been that more people come on the weekends. The 9-10PM time also seems to be optimal, as that allows people from several different timezones to play. The 31st is out for me personally as I won't be home at all that day.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 11:36:58 am by CP5670 »

Offline Shade

I can make 28th for an hour or two, as long as the games start early-ish. 9-10pm GMT would work. Fridays like the 31st are almost always out for me, as that is by far the hardest day of the week where I work, typically a 10-12 hour day, and I'm not capable of much besides eating and sleeping after one of those.

Offline Shade

By the way, BloodEagle, that list you made with the medal missions and required difficulty would make a nice addition to the wiki's MP section. Mind if I add it in?

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Not sure what you're talking about. We never had games scheduled on those days, although I can certainly add them to the calendar if people are interested.

:wtf:

------AUGUST-----
20th - 5PM GMT  EUROPE GAME
22nd - 10PM GMT NORTH/SOUTH AMERICA GAME
Host: CP5670
23rd - 11AM GMT AUSTRALIA GAME
25th - 11AM GMT AUSTRALIA GAME
9:30PM GMT N/S AMERICA AND EUROPE GAME
28th - 7PM GMT EUROPE
31st - 1AM GMT N/S AMERICA  *NOTE* GMT-7,6,5,4,3,2 causes this game to be on the 30th.

Why are people ignoring my posts here? First I propose my idea here. Barely any response. Then I post a schedule, fix it up, and have to go on vacation for a week. When I come back, someone has completely usurped this thing and started acting like they're doing all the work. Either you guys are ignoring me and didn't see me post it or you guys are ignoring me and claiming all the credit :confused:.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 01:19:46 pm by thesizzler »

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Well, those are just random days and times. I thought that was a sample of the basic idea. If we haven't got a host or players, there is no point in putting them up on the first post.

Who is this "someone" and what exactly is the work? Credit for what? The schedule on the first post is nothing more than a simple way for us to keep track of upcoming games. I think you are making it into something more elaborate than it needs to be.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Well, those are just random days and times. I thought that was a sample of the basic idea. If we haven't got a host or players, there is no point in putting them up on the first post.

Who is this "someone" and what exactly is the work? Credit for what? The schedule on the first post is nothing more than a simple way for us to keep track of upcoming games. I think you are making it into something more elaborate than it needs to be.

:blah:

That's what I though happened. Oh well, go continue with the schedule.