Author Topic: Best Random Buy  (Read 12916 times)

Offline Roanoke

Y'know when you fancy a new game and go into a shop and try pot-luck, buying something that "looks" good, a total shot in the dark ? what's been your best so far ?

Mine was probably FS after seeing a singlescreen shot in (IIRC) PCZone and not being able to find X2.
The "other" one was my bro coming home with SystemShock2 and Homeworld.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
SW: Empire at War or CS:S.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Tossup between Homeworld, A Bridge Too Far, and O.R.B.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Al Tarket

• A resident nutcase from Jerusalem.
    • An FSO Modification site
i've had a few random "shoot me in the dark with your uzi" moments.

my best would be Battlefield 2, got to love that t90 shooting down attack choppers ;). RTCW: Enemy territory, to rush the enemy right away and plant some explosives :lol:. System shock 2 also, the respawning hybrids or toxic spiders while taking your time modifying a gun that has bad blocks and get utterly surprised :nervous:.

my best buy by far was the old x wing fighter, which has probably the same dynamics and physics freespace does when i bought that about 5 years later. that x-wing game was a dos game and was neatly built.

i was surprised by one game though, forsaken. that was a lot of fun when you had that titan and trojacs on board.
Cowardice is no selfishness, Friendliness is no enemy and Information is no attack platform.

Judge these words wisely and you might make it through this cruel world.

Offline Nuclear1

O.R.B.

Ugh, ORB, really?

I'd have to say Journeyman Project 3 hands down.  Best adventure game I've ever played.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
RTCW: Enemy territory
That's a free game.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
The best random buy that I made (that I can remember, mind you) was C&C: Generals.

-----------------

RTCW: Enemy territory
That's a free game.

Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory is a free game (and the best FPS, as far as objectives and gameplay are concerned), Return to Castle Wolfenstein, however, is not.

-----------------

The "other" one was my bro coming home with SystemShock2 [...].

Low standards, eh?  :drevil:

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I think TrackMania. I saw it while on holiday in England (2004) but I didn't buy it at first (opting for Street Legal Racing: Redline) but ended up having it sent. I liked it, but Sunrise and United are better IMO. Also, in 2007 (also in England) I saw Civilization III and having a vague idea that it was good, got it. I'm glad I did.

The best random buy that I made (that I can remember, mind you) was C&C: Generals.

Not random (knowing that Command & Conquer was a good series), and I didn't buy it, I got it as a present (as well as Zero Hour). A bit consternating, however, was finding in another shop a whole set of EVERY (IIRC) C&C game, with all three series. Thinking of maybe getting it.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Ugh, ORB, really?

I admit the gameplay at times made me want to scream, but the final misson was most definitely worth it, and the storyline was excellent.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline übermetroid

• Current Father Of Samus
  • He who dares wins.
Outpost. 
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

Offline Al Tarket

outpost? and outpost 2? what strange games they were! i liked it even so.
Cowardice is no selfishness, Friendliness is no enemy and Information is no attack platform.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
The last time I bought a game like this was probably around 10 years ago. I pay a lot more attention to user reviews and opinions before getting anything these days, and try demos whenever they are available.

There were some cases where I got an unknown game bundled with hardware (but chose that piece of hardware partly for the games) and it turned out to be excellent. Deus Ex, Unreal and MDK2 all came to my attention this way. I got Assassin's Creed with a recent purchase as well, a game that I didn't know about before, but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet.

I'd have to say Journeyman Project 3 hands down.  Best adventure game I've ever played.

I have the first game in the series, but it was the Mac version in the early 90s and was way too slow to be playable on my Mac. I've never actually played it since it does not run properly in any emulator I try it on. :(

Offline Solatar

I randomly bought Rise of Nations a few years back. It's a decent RTS (more so for the time).

Offline Al Tarket

assassin's creed. it's a lot of graphics. however the only way i can tell you about the game is through spoilers CP5670 :eek2:.

if i got your permission i will give out spoilers. however you play altair one of the highest ranking assassins, so main game play is around killing people by their ways... 

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Assassin's Creed is a random buy? I liked it too, but with all the hype, I'd hardly call it random!

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Advent Rising for PC.

A shame this failed. Sure, even the PC version has a lot of flaws (the Xbox one was horrible according to the Reviews) but believe me, this game deserves a look. I had no idea what I was buying back then, the cover said 'epic sci-fi action' which sounded good and the game was among the rummage goods.

Imagine mixing Jedi Knight or Psi-Ops with Max Payne, add an epic soundtrack and you know this one is great. Oh my god, the soundtrack. Still rules supreme, it's even better than God of War and StarWars.

Get convinced by this: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/5670.html
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Assassin's Creed is a random buy? I liked it too, but with all the hype, I'd hardly call it random!

Well, I had heard the name many times but didn't know what it was about. It seems to be a typical Ubisoft game from what I am reading, immersive and having some great gameplay ideas but lots of bugs and a bloated engine. Should be worth a playthrough in any case.

assassin's creed. it's a lot of graphics. however the only way i can tell you about the game is through spoilers CP5670 :eek2:.

if i got your permission i will give out spoilers. however you play altair one of the highest ranking assassins, so main game play is around killing people by their ways... 

I'll be playing it soon anyway. If the gameplay is anything like Splinter Cell as they say, I'll like it.

Offline Roanoke

Oh Clive Barker's Undying was another random sucess. Must have looked it over about 4/5 times in HMV before getting it.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
If the gameplay is anything like Splinter Cell as they say, I'll like it.

it's absolutly not.  :)    However, if you love good stories, you will like it anyway.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Al Tarket

its sword play with the local authorities. typical bows and arrows, however yo can not use them as you will see despite the intro showing your character using a crossbow. and because it's not any real part of the game it's not a spoiler.

i love the throwing knives then dagger attacks. however thee sword attack does give about half a second to counter.. a little tip if its your playing style.