Author Topic: What other space sims do you play? (Did you used to play?)  (Read 12091 times)

Re: What other space sims do you play? (Did you used to play?)
other than the freespace series...

freelancer (wish it was joystick instead of mouse but still pretty neat)

wing commander series 1-4 (storyline is great)

I followed Wing Commander religiously up to WCIV; after IV I dropped out of it. Prophecy held no appeal for me.
that sums it up on how that series took a hit but the CIC nuts are still have their necks above the water.

Allegiance (multiplayer olny game and SHARP learning curve but worth at least a check mainly cause its free  :D but i like it)

X-wing, Tie-fighter, X-wingVsTie, X-wing Alliance,
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 07:22:39 pm by darklord3k »

Offline Ferret

• A very hungry Fiona.
Some sort of chronological order...

X-Wing
Wing Commander 3
X-Wing vs Tie Fighter
Freespace
Freespace 2
Wing Commander 4
Tachyon
I-War 2
X-2

I don't know where my X-Wing vs Tie Fighter went and I am forever upset because of that.

[edit]

I forgot Freelancer, I don't know whre to slot it in.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 11:24:54 pm by Ferret »

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
I have played:
IWar 1 + 2
X-Wing
TIE Fighter
X-Wing Alliance
AceCombat 4, 5, Zero
An F-16 Sim (Can't think of the name, but it's fairly recent)
Freelancer
XvT Academy

I think that's all...

At the moment I'm not playing any space sims, but I just recently bought meself the Saitek x52 so I think that things are gonna change soon ^^

Indepence War 2 (I need to finish this though someday)

IWar2 seems to have issues with the X52's throttle.  You can move the throttle up to 100%, but it only increases ship speed by 50%.  I know this, because I have this problem.  If anyone can figure out how to fix it, I would be much obliged. 

But don't let that stop you from finishing it.  It's a good game, well worth the time put into it. 
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
I just bought HW2 off the internet. I hear that  the main campaign is bad and suffers TFH syndrome (along wiht mech commander 1), but the multi-player and skrimishes more htan make up for it. Plus, I want to be able to play that New Age mod.

Other than FS and HW the only other space games I play is Freelancer.

I tried playing WC privateer gemini gold, but I didn't know what any of the controls were, or where anything was or how to do anything.

Offline Sarafan

• No Title

If anyone can figure out how to fix it, I would be much obliged. 

Play it with the keyboard only. It's better. :P Now, really, does anyone knows how to play X-Wing Alliance withouth a joystick? I have the game but no the joystick.

Let's see, recent games only:

I-War 2 (playing it right now)
FS2

Ones that I've played long,long time ago:

Babylon 5: I've Found Her (waiting for the sequel)
Freelancer
Starlancer
FreeSpace
I-War (and expansion)
Ace Combat 4 (finished EVERY single thing of this game and managed to take down Yelow Squadron at time attack in 00'15'05, HA!)

And that's it, there are some missing but I dont recall their names.

I just bought HW2 off the internet. I hear that  the main campaign is bad and suffers TFH syndrome (along wiht mech commander 1), but the multi-player and skrimishes more htan make up for it. Plus, I want to be able to play that New Age mod.

What does TFH mean? HW2's main campaig is passable but it doesnt get anywhere near of the first one. Try the Angels Fall First mod too, it's one of the best if not the best, IMO.

Does this Tachyon and X-3 are any good?

Offline Ferret

• A very hungry Fiona.
What does TFH mean?
My guess is Too ****ing Hard, because that's what comes to mind when I think of it

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
FS1 & FS2, starting with FS2 actually. I haven't played FS2 in a couple of months because I've been having some wierd technical problems with my computer.

Janes Fighters Anthology

Tried WC1, but it was a bit too laggy on DosBox so I couldn't really get into it.

Got about half way through Sarlancer before I couldn't get past a level. I didn't like it. I felt the mission design after a while was not too well planned, also the AI was practically non-existant. Seriously, you could wade through 10 fighters at once and not take any damage. Wingmen were useless because of said lack of AI.

Freelancer I liked a lot better. It was superior in every way to Starlancer, hands down.

"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Darius

Tachyon was quite fun to play. It's a nice change to play a space sim as an independent, rather than being a nameless pilot in the midst of military heirarchy.

We need something equivalent to the "Black Guard" in Freespace...those bastards added some good atmosphere to otherwise cliched missions.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
As for X-3, I believe it's a real memory hog, lags like hell. Can't say for certain as never played, this is from what I hear! Ask CD I think he's played it and from what I gather it's a good game with some neat features (like capturing opponents ships to fly yourself). Just hungry for memory!
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Ferret

• A very hungry Fiona.

Tachyon was quite fun to play. It's a nice change to play a space sim as an independent, rather than being a nameless pilot in the midst of military heirarchy.

We need something equivalent to the "Black Guard" in Freespace...those bastards added some good atmosphere to otherwise cliched missions.
I absolutely love Tachyon, it's seriously awesome.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
For me:

Independence War
Independence War: Defiance
(Both these games are jury-rigged. they're playable on my hardware, but crash after every damn mission. :()
Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos
X-Wing Alliance
TIE Fighter
Freelancer
Rogue Squadron
Homeworld
Homeworld 2 (Mainly FSNA ;))
There's another one too. It's a crappy game that I haven't touched in years. BANG! Gunship Elite.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 12:21:58 pm by Cobra »
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline brozozo

• Used to be d3r3k.
    • MySpace
FS1, ST, 2
X-Wing & Tie Fighter (I suck at XW,  but somehow I own at TF)
Tachyon
Freelancer
Starlancer
Wing Commander 1-4

FS1, ST, FS2
X-Wing Vs Tie Fighter
X-Wing Alliance
Tachyon
Wing Commander Prophecy (which while not great was enjoyable, cept I could never get it to work with my Vodoo2. Haven't tried since)
Starshatter (really nice idea, but always left em a bit empty. Lacking atmosphere so consequently I didnt play it much.)

Have in my list of things to play
Freelancer
Tie Fighter
X-Wing
Wing Commanders on DOSBox
Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos
F/A18 Super Hornet (will be my first proper flight sim, but the mdf file seems to be corrupted.)

Got the battlecruiser on there and Allegiance too but don't think I'll ever have enough free time to get through what I have to reach them.

Too many games, too many real life distractions.

Oh, and FS2 was the Grand Daddy of them all.
Watch out for the Guns! They'll getcha!

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
What does TFH mean?
My guess is Too ****ing Hard, because that's what comes to mind when I think of it

He's right about HW2, but he's off his rocker in regards to MC1 then.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Homeworld 2 is about as hard as the first one, If not easier cos it robs levels barren of resources at the end of each.....
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
As for X-3, I believe it's a real memory hog, lags like hell.
This is true for one simple reason that is either impressive or annoying depending on your outlook: The entire known universe - its economy and ship movements - are computed in real time as you fly around. It's constantly changing and your actions (building a factory or destroying one for instance) reflect that.

If you've got a computer that can cope, it's quite rewarding. If not, it can be a real pain in the ass. Visually it's incredible though, and worth checking out for that "wow" factor alone.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Homeworld 2 is about as hard as the first one, If not easier cos it robs levels barren of resources at the end of each.....

You must have played a different game from me. People like to level the charge a game punishes you for doing well at games they don't like. The only one that actually merits it is HW2.

I somehow muddled through as far as the level after you pick through Bentus' remains. I'm sitting there staring at a wave of fifteen freaking Vaygar Battlecruisers. There's no way in hell to match that. The ship limits will stop you cold, even if you had the time and resources to build your own fleet of Higarran counterparts. Which you don't.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Well dont use Equivalents use Strike craft en-masse, HW is a game of Rock/Paper/Scissors. I dunno why i found it easy i just did, I'm playing AFF at the mo anyway :)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
You must have played a different game from me. People like to level the charge a game punishes you for doing well at games they don't like. The only one that actually merits it is HW2.

Sensible Soccer on the Amiga would ramp up the game difficulty enormously if you happened to be leading going into the closing stages of a match. So much so that I once lost a match 6-5 that I was leading 5-0 up until the 80th minute. Of course I didn't like Sensible Soccer much. It reminded me more of a pinball machine than a football game. So maybe your theory holds true.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
This is true for one simple reason that is either impressive or annoying depending on your outlook: The entire known universe - its economy and ship movements - are computed in real time as you fly around. It's constantly changing and your actions (building a factory or destroying one for instance) reflect that.
Really? I heard the universe was essentially static when you weren't in-system, with little change if any going on in any area other than were you are.

I somehow muddled through as far as the level after you pick through Bentus' remains. I'm sitting there staring at a wave of fifteen freaking Vaygar Battlecruisers. There's no way in hell to match that. The ship limits will stop you cold, even if you had the time and resources to build your own fleet of Higarran counterparts. Which you don't.
I hear that. Scared the hell out of me first time through; led my sizable [relative to previous encounters] fleet to flank the Hypergate, and i'm suddenly faced with a freaking wall of Battlecruisers spitting 45 Trinity-cannon projectiles every few seconds, shreding any poor sod dumb enough to stray into their fire-solutions.

Safe to say, I quit out, opened up the campaign file in notepad, and *cough* 'adjusted' the difficulty by adding a sqadron of 12-ish Qwaar-Jets. Vaygr ****ers didn't know what hit 'em.