Author Topic: Donation / Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series - Ultimate Edition  (Read 4729 times)

Offline FTI2k10

Donation / Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series - Ultimate Edition
Hi there folks!

At first I'd like to excuse for my terrible English. Although I've been teached in school it seems most of my knowledge slowly vanishes due to repetitive attacks by the Cylon Logic Bomb (aka alcohol). :lol: (By the way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csoMuvzqOKw)

To begin with I'd like to express my deepest gratitude for what you guys are doing here. :yes:

I discovered BSG only about a month ago by accidentally watching one of the episodes on TV. I knew that the series existed but never really cared about it because I ain't a big fan of science fiction beside Star Wars (at least I thought so). But this episode (Pegasus from S2) got me hooked so I borrowed all the seasons + Razor from a friend. It took me less than two weeks until I had seen them all. I should add that I have a lot of free time right now. :D

Since I've been playing games for more than half of my life I looked up all the BSG-related games available. After playing the two official games, the Rogue Quadron clone for XBox (not that bad but mixes up TOS and RDM) and the arcade style game for XBox360 (simply terrible, I have way better games even on my mobile phone) I decided to try out some mods.

The first one was Fleet Commander for Homeworld 2 which many of you might know. It's a very nice mod and it definetely has the BSG-feeling but it's not my kind of gameplay.

So I discovered Beyond the Red Line and was more than little impressed. That's exactly the kind of game I was looking for. Nice graphics, good physics and the feeling from the series. Then I heard that the mod was cancelled because the crew split up and I finally ended up on your homepage looking at the model of the Battlestar Theseus. I couldn't believe my eyes. I thought BtRL looked pretty good but Theseus just blows it all away. And after seeing all your other stuff and watching the trailers I have to say that this is (among very few others) the mod with the highest production quality I've ever seen. Even if there's no playable version available atm.

To cut a long story short this is why I decided that I'd like to make a donation to help you financing this project. Do you have PayPal? :P

The other reason for opening this topic is the release of the "Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series - Ultimate Edition" in Europe. I pre-ordered it and it will arrive tomorrow and I thought I might do a review of it showing some pictures of the box and listing all the contained stuff (since I didn't find a list on the net and heard that some extended episodes might be missing) for all of you who are considering to buy it. Just stay tuned for tomorrow afternoon.

Greetings
FTI
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 08:06:41 pm by FTI2k10 »
"Cylons are, in the final analysis, little more than toasters... with great-looking legs" --Gaius Baltar

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Donation / Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series - Ultimate Edition
Welcome. Good to see new people here.
If you wish to donate something for this, http://www.hard-light.net/index.php?id=3 might be the best address. AFAIK Diaspora doesn't have a separate donation drive.

Oh, and you don't need to put in line breaks manually, it makes the posts a bit weird to read...
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline FTI2k10

Welcome. Good to see new people here.
If you wish to donate something for this, http://www.hard-light.net/index.php?id=3 might be the best address. AFAIK Diaspora doesn't have a separate donation drive.

Oh, and you don't need to put in line breaks manually, it makes the posts a bit weird to read...

I fixed the thing with the breaks. I'm just used to do so because...actually I don't know why.

Thank you for the link I'll give it a look. :)
"Cylons are, in the final analysis, little more than toasters... with great-looking legs" --Gaius Baltar

Offline Axem

To cut a long story short this is why I decided that I'd like to make a donation to help you financing this project. Do you have PayPal? :P

Thanks for the offer, but taking money for a unauthorized game based on established IP is a bad idea. :p If you want to support us, you could donate to HLP our wonderful and very intelligent hosts here.  :)

Did I over do it?

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers

Thanks for the offer, but taking money for a unauthorized game based on established IP is a bad idea. :p If you want to support us, you could donate to HLP our wonderful and very intelligent hosts here.  :)

Did I over do it?

Well nothing says we can't take accept bribes in the form of alcohol does it?  :D
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Locutus of Borg

• Who counted those posts?????????????
I'll need some to keep me quiet about all this...
We are the Borg
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own

Resistance is FUTILE

Offline FTI2k10

Thanks for the offer, but taking money for a unauthorized game based on established IP is a bad idea. :p If you want to support us, you could donate to HLP our wonderful and very intelligent hosts here.  :)

Did I over do it?

Well nothing says we can't take accept bribes in the form of alcohol does it?  :D

Nah, sorry guys, can't give you alcohol. Need it for myself. :lol:

But I'll donate to HLP as soon as I have money on my PayPal account (1-2 days).

Offline FTI2k10

Sorry for double-posting but I thought nobody would read this if I just edited my old post.

Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series - Ultimate Edition (UK Version) Review

My box arrived today and I've already started watching S1 (currently at the fifth episode; planning to watch the whole series again in English since I only know the German translation for now). I also took a closer look at all the content and would like to give you an insight about what to expect from the box.

Box/Interior Design:

The box consists of several parts. It's basically a cardboard wrapping with a big plastic window on one side. Nothing special. This package contains the actual DVD container and a plastic Cylon Centurion. The Centurion is held in place inside the wrapping by a plastic conductor. The DVD container is made out of metal and has a nice Centurion painting on one side (the rest is black). It can be opened like a locker and has an interior out of foam plastic with four slots (one for each season pack). The season packs are basically transparent red jewel cases which are stripped together by tape. This sounds very filigree but it's actually pretty solid. Each of this packs has a cardboard cover which indicates the season and fits into one of the four slots of the foam plastic.

Conclusion: In my opinion the design of the box is quite good since it provides fast access to the designated DVD. The outside cardboard wrapping isn't that solid though and it's also pretty big compared to the actual DVD container. It doesn't fit on my shelf so I took out the plastic Centurion and the DVD container and put them onto it. The cardboard wrapping resides in my locker. :p 4/5

Physical Extras:

As I mentioned before the box includes a Cylon Centurion. Forget about the picture on Amazon he doesn't look even near as good. He's about 10 inches high and completely out of grey plastic with some black and red colour on armor and visor. He also has some fake bullet impact holes on his chest. Although you can move most of his body parts I wouldn't recommend to do so because he seems very filigree to me. To sum up the "model" (it's more like a cheap toy imo) isn't worth buying this box for if you intended to do so. Beside the Centurion there are also three booklets, two big and one smaller. The smaller one gives an overview about the main characters and also lists all the DVD content. The bigger ones are called "So Say We All" and "By Your Command" and tell you a little bit more about all the important characters on the show. There is also a summary of the events up to the discovery of the first Earth. This summary includes major spoilers so it's only for people who haven't watched BSG for a while and want to catch up with the story.

Conclusion: I'm not that happy with the physical extras. The Centurion is frakkin' crap and the books don't have much too offer. You might need half an hour to read/watch through them. It would have been nice to have some posters or something. 2/5

The DVD's:

Ah, the most important part. The DVD's seem to be straight from the previously available packages (miniseries/seasons/Razor) since they don't have a common "complete series" design. The box includes all four seasons as well as the miniseries and razor. There is also a ****load of commentaries, trailers, podcasts, deleted scenes and other stuff. It's practically everything a BSG fan could ask for. However, there are two major flaws. The first one is that there are no webisodes. They are advertised in the small booklet and I know the US version has them so it seems they just took the booklet from the US version. For me it's no that much of a deal as you can find them all over the internet but since it's called a complete collection I'd expect them to be on the discs. The second one is more annoying to me. There are no extended episodes. Not even Razor is extended. I don't know why this happened since the US version of the box has all the extended stuff. What reason could they have to keep them out of the UK version? I might also add that the only available subtitles are in English but I expected that since there are going to be collections for other countries in their respective languages afaik.

Conclusion: To be honest I don't care about the webisodes but the missing extended versions really annoy me. Since this is called a "complete collection"  the DVD's only get 3/5.

DVD Quality:

I don't want to go into detail about the resolution etc. It's just DVD quality so you all should know what it looks like. The picture is a bit grainy but I heard that this is an affect they intended to have so I won't judge it. To have a reference it looks good on my 47" Full HD TV. Maybe this is also due to the upscaling mode of my HDDVD-player (yes I bought it before Bluray had won) which should increase the image quality slightly on big resolutions. The sound is fantastic on a 5.1 system. Not much else to say about it.

Conclusion: 5/5

Final Verdict:

The box features a lot and I can recommend it for all those of you who haven't seen the show before (shame on you!) or just want a complete box due to its cheap price (less than 100 € on Amazon atm) compared to what you really get (over 60 hours of entertainment). Non-US residents who consider themselves as collectors should buy the US version if they don't care about the higher price (taxes, shipping) due to the lack of minisodes and extended episodes in the UK version. I give the complete box a 3.5/5.

I hope this might be helpful for some of you considering to buy the box. If you want pictures I can take them just tell me what you want to see.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 04:15:02 pm by FTI2k10 »

Offline Jangiri

well since I already bought the earlier "complete set" i don't think i'm going to spend another 200 dollars on the exact same thing.