Author Topic: RELEASE: ECM Hercules  (Read 5009 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
RELEASE: ECM Hercules

Based on a concept by Thaeris, this Hercules frame has been stripped of its iconic quad gun mounts and retrofit with enhanced sensors and communications equipment. The result is a fighter with short-range AWACS capability, that can be deployed in pirate or mercenary wings to thwart stealth fighters and other electronic countermeasures. (You can table it as a stealth fighter as well, if you want.) Have fun!

DOWNLOAD
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 04:54:51 am by Galemp »
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Re: RELEASE: ECM Hercules
DL'ed. :)

But shouldn't it be rather a Herc II instead? And ECM for pirates is a lidl too much IMO...

Edit: Might be worth re-importing/opening with PCS? It has 16 textures.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:30:51 pm by Nightmare »

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
This looks awesome! Nice work!

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam

So that's how you consolidate textures. Okay! I'll wait a day or two for more feedback then update the post. Might make a few more edits in the meantime.

Also does anyone else care that the Herc diffuse map in the MediaVPs is so awful?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 11:24:19 pm by Galemp »
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

OK so there's time for some detailed analysis then :)

-Thruster isn't linked with Engine subsystem.
-Mass for the model seems a bit off (about 10 times compared with other MVP ships atleast - the HTL Herc I however has a similar high mass for some reason, maybe a I found a MVP bug too?).
-Frontal sensor array is outside of shield mesh.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
I've updated the download (with a little enhancement ;7) but I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by "thruster isn't linked with Engine subsystem." I've looked through some other POFs and I don't see anywhere to do that.

I usually add "$engine_subsystem=Engine" to every Thruster; might be unnecessary here because there's only 1 but I like it when everything follows the same scheme. :cool:

Edit. TBH I don't know if any of this causes issues, but reimporting has apparently removed the "properties"/"parent" from the docking point and the path.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 10:31:37 am by Nightmare »

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
very cool
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

DL'ed. :)

But shouldn't it be rather a Herc II instead? And ECM for pirates is a lidl too much IMO...

One can use it for anti-piracy ops too, and the Herc I would be much more available to non GTVA Navy organizations, so I'd say it's a good choice.

An old fighter chassis reused by police/security/privateers to find pirates hiding in asteroids or gas clouds...
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

One can use it for anti-piracy ops too, and the Herc I would be much more available to non GTVA Navy organizations, so I'd say it's a good choice.

An old fighter chassis reused by police/security/privateers to find pirates hiding in asteroids or gas clouds...

Ages ago I converted one of Aldos fighter - a heavy stealth fighter with pretty much the same purpose. It's low poly but I liked the design (maybe I have a strange taste but still :D ). Probably I should release it someday.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Holy makeral! It happened!

...Perhaps I need to doodle more. Nice work, Galemp.

:D
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
This looks really interesting. Strong EWAR capabilities, but still some self-defence guns left. I'm wondering what if it was a protagonist ship in some campaign. :)
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
ITT the GTVA forgets how to make housings